Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lowering Arizona - The Wildcats and Sun Devils Come to Town

Lowering Arizona - The Wildcats and Sun Devils Come to Town

Utah has gone 4-4 in its last 8 games, losing 2, then winning 2, then losing 2, and winning 2. Conventional wisdom would suggest that the Arizona schools could come in and get a road sweep...but after both being handled by WSU, and PVD playing the role of Jimmy Chitwood, they both might be ripe for losses this week.

The Utes have been road warriors as of late, but their home court has held very little advantage, going 2-3 in league play so far, and most recently having been swept by the Oregon schools.

At present, Utah is tied with ASU in the standings at 7-4, but owns a head to head tiebreaker. However, if ASU were to win and even it up at 1-1, they would have a tiebreaker with their win over Washington last week, though Utah gets a shot at the Huskies on the road next week.

Utah also holds a 2 game lead over Arizona in the standings, and a win this week could push them safely down the standings.

Huge stakes for our beloved Utes this week.
    Last edited by DrumNFeather; 02-12-2019 at 09:18 AM.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Utah has gone 4-4 in its last 8 games, winning 2, then losing 2, then winning 2, and losing 2.

Wrong order. if this were correct, i would be slashing my wrists instead of ordering my FF tickets for next year.

Can anyone explain to my why every team that has a minimal amount of depth and a minimal amount of athleticism doesn't come out with a full-court press from the outset of every game against Utah? I mean, I'm glad that they don't, but we a complete train wreck against the press. I'd be curious to know what our overall point differential is against the press this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Can anyone explain to my why every team that has a minimal amount of depth and a minimal amount of athleticism doesn't come out with a full-court press from the outset of every game against Utah? I mean, I'm glad that they don't, but we a complete train wreck against the press. I'd be curious to know what our overall point differential is against the press this year.
    I sat and wondered the same thing last week vs the LA schools. And not just a press - a tight man-to-man defense. After OU and OSU killed us in man, USC and UCLA happily played zone against us. I guess some teams are just completely dedicated to one style. Works if you're Syracuse...seems foolish otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Wrong order. if this were correct, i would be slashing my wrists instead of ordering my FF tickets for next year.
    Well, you get the idea though!

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Hard to decide who (or is it whom) I dislike more---Sean Miller who had no knowledge his assistants were paying players & forging transcripts, or
    Bobby Hurley who is a whiner & total idiot on the floor--not the bench because he never sits down.??

Listened to both the coaches show and Larry's weekly presser. Apparently Jayce made some comment after the game about being on the road and staying in a hotel, etc., that gets the guys closer and helps them focus, so Larry & Co. will be putting the team up in a hotel this weekend. Here's hoping it results in a W.

Utah is 1-14 against Arizona since joining the Pac 12...must win? Arizona isn't wounded very often. Would be nice to get this one.

Utah is 1-14 against Arizona since joining the Pac 12...must win? Arizona isn't wounded very often. Would be nice to get this one.
    Yes, it would be nice. It's not a must win, though, since we don't have a chance at an at-large bid.
    Last edited by sancho; 02-13-2019 at 11:28 AM.

Listened to both the coaches show and Larry's weekly presser. Apparently Jayce made some comment after the game about being on the road and staying in a hotel, etc., that gets the guys closer and helps them focus, so Larry & Co. will be putting the team up in a hotel this weekend. Here's hoping it results in a W.
    Football team stays in hotel at home and on road. Always assumed basketball team did as well.

Alright let's do this!
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Barefield is a no show tonight. He can't hit a fat man in the ass with a bag of sand
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Barefield is a no show tonight. He can't hit a fat man in the ass with a bag of sand
    Morley can make up for that.

Our zone is not slowing them down at all.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Our zone is not slowing them down at all.
    We started getting stops as soon as I posted this.

Amen. I would love for the azholes to be the 10th seed

Yes, it would be nice. It's not a must win, though, since we don't have a chance at an at-large bid.
    Was absolutely a must-win. You kick programs like Arizona when they're down, regardless of our fate. Glad for PVD, Jayce and Larry -- easily the three faces you see when you check the definition of Whipping Boy in your reference manual of choice.

The Headband dominated Jeter.
    Timmy Allen was everywhere—-how good will he be in 2-3 years?

Utes in 2nd place?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post

Utes in 2nd place?!?
    I'm trying to remember the last Ute who was as good at getting to the hole and finishing as Timmy Allen. Not to mention shooting free throws. A deadly combination. I guess Andre Miller.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Utes in 2nd place?!?
    We really should be 12-0 in this conference this season. It’s outrageous that we aren’t. Three of those losses were at home, the fourth against this terrible Arizona team.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    We really should be 12-0 in this conference this season. It’s outrageous that we aren’t. Three of those losses were at home, the fourth against this terrible Arizona team.
    You are the Gordon Monson of message boards. Most of your posts are hyperbolic and inflammatory.

We start 3 freshman, and our sixth man is a sophomore. We aren’t Kentucky or Duke, our young guys aren’t one-and-dones. These guys are progressing, but no one should expect perfection from a team with this much youth and inexperienced.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Utes in 2nd place?!?
    Is that a haiku?

Inspired by the Headband.

SMH....pac12 refs.

This is a must win for ASU, and it shows. They came out with a lot of energy on both ends.

SMH....pac12 refs.
    So bad.

So he's in the cylinder so it's ok to elbow him in the face?

So he's in the cylinder so it's ok to elbow him in the face?
    A normal person would feel embarrassed to go to the monitor and see that he blew a call. But referees are probably so used to making mistakes that they are numb to it.

This is a must win for ASU, and it shows. They came out with a lot of energy on both ends.
    They can’t keep up their torid 3 point shooting. If we can improve rebounding and keep turnovers under control, we’ll win the 2nd half and the game.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Basketball at its best is breathtaking. Basketball at its worst is torture. This 2nd half has been hard to watch.

I know there's plenty of time left, but this game has never felt like it was meant to be.