Thread: Huskey Free Northwest - Utes visit Wash and Wazzu

Huskey Free Northwest - Utes visit Wash and Wazzu

With just five games left to play, the Utes head north for a big time test against the best team in the league (UW) and a much improved squad despite their 3-9 league record in Wazzu, with a presumably healty Robert Franks.

UW comes into this home stand knowing that a sweep and a loss by Oregon St. in LA would clinch a share of the regular season title with four games to play. Their last two games were a narrow win over WSU and a loss to ASU...could it be the Huskies are losing their focus? Probably not. We will have to shoot the ball well to keep ourselves in it, and have to knock it off with the mental mistakes (Sed, Both).

If we want a realistic chance at the bye in Vegas, the minimum that needs to happen is a split. If we somehow can top the Huskies and the Cougars, we will be in a very nice spot heading to Boulder.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

This is possibly our last chance of the season to grab a win vs a good (tournament worthy) team. We know UW will play a zone, which is good for us. They play a very good zone, but that's still better than man-to-man for us. I'm not optimistic, but it could happen. UW is not a juggernaut.

As country star Darryl Worley would say, this has been a crazy, tragic, sometimes almost magic, awful, beautiful season. My head tells me that we have no shot in this one tonight, but my heart says..........there is always a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    As country star Darryl Worley would say, this has been a crazy, tragic, sometimes almost magic, awful, beautiful season. My head tells me that we have no shot in this one tonight, but my heart says..........there is always a chance.
    I'll counter your Worley with a Worley of my own...Have you forgotten...when we lost to Hawaii, NW, or ASU just last week?

UW is an interesting case with five games to play, because they don't have anymore real resume building wins on their schedule. @ Oregon/Oregon St. will be solid Q2 wins, potentially, but they are close to clinching a share and could potentially clinch the league as early as next week. So, how motivated are they? Most projections seem to have them as an 8 or 7...so how much does winning out improve their seed line? Feels like their max is a 6, unless they win out and win the tournament. In any event, as you say, we've got a chance...so here's hoping!

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Timmy Allen out tonight with back pain.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Timmy Allen out tonight with back pain.
    All my anticipation for a great basketball doubleheader...what bad luck.

We need Tillman to step up. This UW defense has been pretty impressive so far, and we've been lucky to hit the few shots we can get off.

2 point in 10 min on 2/6 FT. Unbelievable. Is UW zone that good?
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Well that was rough, though not totally uncommon for UW. In four of there six home games, they took a single digit lead into halftime and stretched it to double digits by the end of the game, and I believe are the only Pac-12 team that remains unbeaten at home. They remind me a little bit of UNLV from the MWC days, they play really tight defense, particularly at home, and for the most part get the calls. Even when we were up early and getting stops on defense, we were playing right into their hands...so many passes in the air, slow passes that allowed them to recover, guys passing on good shots for worse shots. It was rough.

Topalovic and CJJ have both become non-factors recently. When you take Timmy Allen out of the lineup, that really limits what we can do. And, as LK said this week, "When you have an open shot, you gotta make it." And we just didn't make those shots from the elbow (didn't take very many) or from anywhere else tonight. One of those burn the tape performances.

Onto Wazzu, who beat CU tonight by a bucket, and are now 4-9 in league play and dropped the Buffs to 7-7. As I mentioned in the other thread, a 2 game buffer heading into Boulder would be lovely.

This loss is certainly another arrow in the quiver of the fire Larry folks, but he's not going anywhere, so we press on to Pullman. 5 to go.

Topalovic and CJJ have both become non-factors recently.
    Recently? They've been non-factors since November.

We are a very one dimensional offense. Good, quick, athletic defenses don't have a hard time slowing us down. This wasn't a "ball didn't go in the hoop" night. We had very few good looks at all. With Timmy Allen, we do creep a bit in the direction of having a second offensive dimension.

Wazzu favored by 2.

They probably cover w/o Allen.

Robert Franks—-shows how tough it is to judge recruits, after HS he as a 2**, & if you were to ask any “expert” back then, Franks or Jayce Johnson—-they would have laughed & said Johnson, not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    Wazzu favored by 2.

They probably cover w/o Allen.

Robert Franks—-shows how tough it is to judge recruits, after HS he as a 2**, & if you were to ask any “expert” back then, Franks or Jayce Johnson—-they would have laughed & said Johnson, not even close.
    https://twitter.com/DirkFacer/status...653124097?s=19

Bummer

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Why in the hell are we playing Jayce on Franks?

"Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Why in the hell are we playing Jayce on Franks?
    Because this is a defense optional game, apparently.
    Last edited by sancho; 02-23-2019 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Because this is a defense optional game, apparently.
    Someone forgot to tell Donnie Tillman, though.

How was that a foul on Tillman?

The gardener Donnie Tillman playing like a man tonight on both sides

Reports of his disinterest seem to be exaggerated! He shut Franks down in the second half. Huge difference maker tonight.

Reports of his disinterest seem to be exaggerated! He shut Franks down in the second half. Huge difference maker tonight.
    Maybe like Both Gach starting him woke him up, Interesting to see who starts if Timmy is back next week.

The Gardner? Huh ...?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    The Gardner? Huh ...?
    He's a till-man.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    The Gardner? Huh ...?
    The guys I go to the pac12 tourney with every year make nicknames for players. Some work most don't. The gardener seems to be one that works. We came up with #gachscratchfever this year. Most are dumb puns. Im still waiting to top our best:

Jo Jo gimme zamora

I also think the washington fans are missing out on a good one:

Matisse is Monet