Thread: 2019 Spring Ball

2019 Spring Ball

And just like that, spring ball is around the corner. The Spring two-deep chart was released earlier today.

Some things of note: Moss, Covey, Nacua, Bernard, and Tonga will not participate in camp due to injury.

Other missing players of note: Jack Jackson, Nick Heningar, Philip Afia, and Donavon Thompson have all left the program.

Camp starts next week. Let’s get after it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you haven’t seen this yet, it’s great. Do it.

Hostile. Any guesses about what’s going on with Covey’s arm in this?!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post

Looks like a functional brace for a forearm fracture.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

He played almost the entire year last year with a broken wrist. I assume this is post-surgery for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    He played almost the entire year last year with a broken wrist. I assume this is post-surgery for that.
    I saw him favor it most of the season but didn’t realize it was fractured. That kid is ridiculous.

And just like that, spring ball is around the corner. The Spring two-deep chart was released earlier today.

Some things of note: Moss, Covey, Nacua, Bernard, and Tonga will not participate in camp due to injury.

Other missing players of note: Jack Jackson, Nick Heningar, Philip Afia, and Donavon Thompson have all left the program.

Camp starts next week. Let’s get after it!

What's the story on Heningar? Every year he's the breakout star in spring ball but ihs playing time has been severely limited during the year. Is he going somewhere else to play? Thompson and Afia are tough to lose. They are backups, but they are seasoned back-ups.

Interesting that Blackmon is now officially a safety. I hope Tyreke Lewis can fill his spot at CB.

Week 2 of Spring Ball started today.

2019 Spring Ball

Full interview with Kyle Whittingham. Interesting tidbit, he makes it sound that Afia was a injury retirement, not looking to transfer. I hadn’t heard that.

https://espn700sports.com/news/kyle-...pring-resumes/

Last edited by Dwight Schr-Ute; 03-19-2019 at 09:55 PM.

Sounds like armand Shyne is transferring.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Sounds like armand Shyne is transferring.
    I hate to lose a contributing player, but what I saw from Shyne last year was not impressive. But, he is our second best running back on the roster. Who fills the role?

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I hate to lose a contributing player, but what I saw from Shyne last year was not impressive. But, he is our second best running back on the roster. Who fills the role?
    Devonte Henry-Cole, TJ Green, Brumfield, or the incoming former USC commit (Shiply? Swilly? Swammy? Swanson? )
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 03-20-2019 at 04:25 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Devonte Henry-Cole, TJ Green, Brumfield, or the incoming former USC commit (Shiply? Swilly? Swammy? Swanson? )
    DHC has also supposedly looked good, and we have 2 well thought of freshmen coming in.

but what I saw from Shyne last year was not impressive.
    Agree, but he did carry the entire BYU defense into the end zone on a play that is a serious contender for play of the year. I'll miss him just for that.

Ruh roh, Shaggy. Maybe it’ll be the opposite of two years ago when Johnson was good at practice and then missed his first and only live kick.

Any updates from our insiders on the scrimmage from Saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Any updates from our insiders on the scrimmage from Saturday?
    I think I heard/read that Kyle said that Bills, the recently returned missionary who was a DL is moving to OL, but he's also hurt.

Kyle also said that Manny Bowen picked off one of the first passes if not the first pass of the scrimmage. Sounds like we've got a legit talent there at LB.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

So I read that Johnson missed a couple easy field goals on Saturday. We have had amazing kickers for years now, is there any worry that this may be the weak spot in the team now?

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    So I read that Johnson missed a couple easy field goals on Saturday. We have had amazing kickers for years now, is there any worry that this may be the weak spot in the team now?
    Yes, I think it is a huge concern. Hackett said that some of the problems are the result of the holders also being new. He said that the new Aussie punter is trying to learn to hold, but that it is difficult and not always smooth, which is a problem for the kickers. The ideal is for the punter to also be the holder. That way they can work together throughout practice without needing to take other players away from their normal activities.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Yes, I think it is a huge concern. Hackett said that some of the problems are the result of the holders also being new. He said that the new Aussie punter is trying to learn to hold, but that it is difficult and not always smooth, which is a problem for the kickers. The ideal is for the punter to also be the holder. That way they can work together throughout practice without needing to take other players away from their normal activities.
    They also don’t want Huntley out there if they can avoid it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The year of no kicks.

What irony that the season when all the other parts of our team seem to be at their best is when our kicking game goes to pot. #kickerU

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    They also don’t want Huntley out there if they can avoid it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I think I heard somewhere that Covey would be the guy, not Huntley or Shelly.

I think I heard somewhere that Covey would be the guy, not Huntley or Shelly.
    Well good. We've got the holding duties squared away. That's really the most important thing, amirite?

Well good. We've got the holding duties squared away. That's really the most important thing, amirite?

At least the guy behind me who booed every time Kyle brought in Gay instead of going for it will have nothing to boo about this year.

At least the guy behind me who booed every time Kyle brought in Gay instead of going for it will have nothing to boo about this year.
    I highly doubt that; in my experience those guys can always find something to complain about.