Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super senior weekend socal visits Utah

Super senior weekend socal visits Utah

Why was that a double tech? Should have just be on overthebackovic
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Pac 12 refs still suck
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

USC is tired. Their shots are all short

What a shot from PVD! Didn't get to set up at all.

Both Gach—-each of his 3 dunks was better than the 1 before. The drive along the baseline with a pump in mid air was crazy good. His upside is Huge.

Timmy Allen does not play like a freshman.

And Donnie Tillman shutting down Boatwright in 2nd half was the key to the game. He was really intense all game—I think he likes to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    Both Gach—-each of his 3 dunks was better than the 1 before. The drive along the baseline with a pump in mid air was crazy good. His upside is Huge.

And Donnie Tillman shutting down Boatwright in 2nd half was the key to the game. He was really intense all game—I think he likes to start.

Agree on the baseline dunk. Epic.

Winning sure is fun. Let's do it again on Sat!

It seems like there has been a determined change in our recruiting process. Gach, Allen, and Battin all seem like really heady ball players. They make mistakes, but they take the feedback and improve. They are a 10/10 on the "no turds" scale.

BTW, the acceleration Gach showed on the first run out dunk he had was spectacular. Barefield had a tight window to put it in between the defender and the rim, and Gach showed serious athletecism in being able to corral it and get up for the dunk without slowing down too much and letting the defender get to him. Then there was that baseline jam. He is going to be fun to watch for the next (hopefully) two seasons.

If Thioune is anything like the rumors have indicated, this team could be really, really good next year. By P12 standards anyway. Duke's 3 freshman have set the bar pretty high.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    It seems like there has been a determined change in our recruiting process. Gach, Allen, and Battin all seem like really heady ball players. They make mistakes, but they take the feedback and improve. They are a 10/10 on the "no turds" scale.

BTW, the acceleration Gach showed on the first run out dunk he had was spectacular. Barefield had a tight window to put it in between the defender and the rim, and Gach showed serious athletecism in being able to corral it and get up for the dunk without slowing down too much and letting the defender get to him. Then there was that baseline jam. He is going to be fun to watch for the next (hopefully) two seasons.

If Thioune is anything like the rumors have indicated, this team could be really, really good next year. By P12 standards anyway. Duke's 3 freshman have set the bar pretty high.
    But I thought we weren't very athletic?

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    But I thought we weren't very athletic?
    Overall we aren't.

USC should be much better than their record. Their bigs should have dominated Novak & our undersized 4’s.
    Hope UCLA has the same attitude and it appears like it as
    they did not show up at Colo.
    UCLA coach is Not coming back & team knows it.

USC: Must be hard when you are recruited by $$ & your coach is hanging on on waiting for the court testimony about his recruiting.

LSU suspended Wade. USC & AZ need to do the same.

USC should be much better than their record. Their bigs should have dominated Novak & our undersized 4’s.
    Hope UCLA has the same attitude and it appears like it as
    they did not show up at Colo.
    UCLA coach is Not coming back & team knows it.

USC: Must be hard when you are recruited by $$ & your coach is hanging on on waiting for the court testimony about his recruiting.

LSU suspended Wade. USC & AZ need to do the same.
    Last year Miller suspended himself

Encouraging start.

No headband again

Any coach other than Hopkins who plays a zone against us deserves to be fired on the spot.

Stupid UW. Now, instead of UCLA/WSU, we have to play the winner of Oregon/WSU.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Stupid UW. Now, instead of UCLA/WSU, we have to play the winner of Oregon/WSU.
    Washington has not closed out the season very strong. Wouldn't be surprised to see them exit the tournament on Thursday or Friday.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Thanks to a generous friend we scored great seats tonight. It was a fun game to watch, even though the Utes made it more interesting at the end than necessary.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Big Morley with 9 rebounds & 8 points. Was he wearing “the headband”?

Hats off to the coaching staff, hats off to our seniors and to the Utes, overall.

When we were in the middle of our struggles at turning the ball over earlier in the season, I didn't think getting a first found BYE in the PAC-12 Tourny was even remotely possible. Late in the regular season, it was clear other schools were likewise fighting for a Top 4 finish. We actually pulled it off.

Crazy to think this was the first home sweep of the year, and the road record was impressive.

When the season is over, there is plenty of time for deeper reflection and analysis, but for today, we got it done!

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    Hats off to the coaching staff, hats off to our seniors and to the Utes, overall.

When we were in the middle of our struggles at turning the ball over earlier in the season, I didn't think getting a first found BYE in the PAC-12 Tourny was even remotely possible. Late in the regular season, it was clear other schools were likewise fighting for a Top 4 finish. We actually pulled it off.

Crazy to think this was the first home sweep of the year, and the road record was impressive.

When the season is over, there is plenty of time for deeper reflection and analysis, but for today, we got it done!
    When you look at PVD and Sed, you can see how they have progressed both as players and as people from where they were when they joined the Utes. Congratulations to them for buying into the process and making it work for them. It is nice to see players become good people. I think Sed will have a nice career overseas and PVD will do great.

I became friends with Devonte Christopher during his time at Utah. He was a bite of a punk when he first joined the team and my job was to sit next to him in WR film review and jab him in the ribs when he fell asleep. Over the years he grew and nobody worked harder and was more disappointed in how his senior season went then he was. He now lives in Vegas with his son and is a teacher.

Big Morley with 9 rebounds & 8 points. Was he wearing “the headband”?
    Is that you in LA Ute's photo?

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Is that you in LA Ute's photo?
    I was merely taking a photo of what was going on on the floor. Anyone appearing in the background is there by happenstance. Had you been there and in my sights, I would of course have snapped a shot of you.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 03-10-2019 at 02:17 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I really think Larry has earned our patience. I’ve been kind of wondering about that, but he has once again overachieved with a last-talented crew that has steadily improved, as Ma’ake notes. A very knowledgeable observer told me that he thought this team‘s biggest problem is its overall lack of basketball IQ. Even that seems to have steadily improved, and much of the problem can probably be attributed to their youth and inexperience. So, let’s see what the new recruiting class brings and how this team looks with Lahat playing and the other youngsters after coming back with a year under their belts.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    When you look at PVD and Sed, you can see how they have progressed both as players and as people from where they were when they joined the Utes. Congratulations to them for buying into the process and making it work for them. It is nice to see players become good people...…..

Don't know Sed but I can assure you Parker is as quality a person as you'd want to represent the University. Further, it is literally a dream come true for him to wear crimson & white. There's kids that can play ball where that is the case.

On a different note, but, I don't know if you've noticed or not, but, the last several games the big screen has shown Rylan Jones with some of his buddies. Yesterday, he was with Jeremy DowDell, among others (another was a PWO with the football team). I've said at least one other time that I wish they'd offer DowDell. Another quality kid whose dream would be to play on the hill.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I really think Larry has earned our patience. I’ve been kind of wondering about that, but he has once again overachieved with a last-talented crew that has steadily improved, as Ma’ake notes. A very knowledgeable observer told me that he thought this team‘s biggest problem is its overall lack of basketball IQ. Even that seems to have steadily improved, and much of the problem can probably be attributed to their youth and inexperience. So, let’s see what the new recruiting class brings and how this team looks with Lahat playing and the other youngsters after coming back with a year under their belts.
    Yes, I agree with most of this. Larry's strength is in player development: anyone who questions that need merely look at Kyle Kuzma. Poetl and to some extent Delon were gift-wrapped stars. But Kyle was a player with seemingly no basketball knowledge as a redshirt freshman and four years later he's starring for the Lakers.

The knock on Larry, though, has always been consistency. Can he keep a pretty good freshman/sophomore class and what looks to be a good incoming class happy? The answer has been "no" in the past. To make Utah basketball relevant again the answer needs to be "yes."

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Yes, I agree with most of this. Larry's strength is in player development: anyone who questions that need merely look at Kyle Kuzma. Poetl and to some extent Delon were gift-wrapped stars. But Kyle was a player with seemingly no basketball knowledge as a redshirt freshman and four years later he's starring for the Lakers.

The knock on Larry, though, has always been consistency. Can he keep a pretty good freshman/sophomore class and what looks to be a good incoming class happy? The answer has been "no" in the past. To make Utah basketball relevant again the answer needs to be "yes."
    One thing we all seem to forget is that the guy went thru a tough time with his cancer. That had to have affected him and his recruiting. We have a really good young core that I think will be very good going forward. If we keep Tillman, Gach, Batten & Allen and The Hat coupled with Jayce and the incomers we should be really good). I have a feeling Naseem and chuck jones are transferring.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Agreed.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Agreed.
    And he has had to rely on a lot of spare parts in recruiting--Bibbins, Barefield, Collette, Rawson. We all know he can coach up mediocre players, but he hasn't shown he can consistently attract and keep the players he needs to get a good seed in the NCAA tourney. To me, Utah should be in the top 25 and a tourney participant most years. 3 or 4 out of 5. Should get a high seed 1 or 2 out of 5.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    And he has had to rely on a lot of spare parts in recruiting--Bibbins, Barefield, Collette, Rawson. We all know he can coach up mediocre players, but he hasn't shown he can consistently attract and keep the players he needs to get a good seed in the NCAA tourney. To me, Utah should be in the top 25 and a tourney participant most years. 3 or 4 out of 5. Should get a high seed 1 or 2 out of 5.
    The "Should be" hasnt been our program in 15 years. So the question is this: Is there a guy out there right now that we can get that can meet the "should be" requirement? I'm not sure there is. IMO we have done better than our expectation. in 1990 we hit with once in a lifetime coach after him we are essentially at the expectation level of Colorado, ASU, Stanford and Cal.

I think I've mentioned that PVDs first year and first game his family were sitting behind me, and his first shot was an airball beyond the arc. His family both couldn't believe it happened and could not stop laughing about it either. Because of that I have been long waiting and am glad to see him finally get those shots to fall. Seems like a solid person and I just wish that would have happened a couple years ago for him.