Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Super senior weekend socal visits Utah

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    The "Should be" hasnt been our program in 15 years. So the question is this: Is there a guy out there right now that we can get that can meet the "should be" requirement? I'm not sure there is. IMO we have done better than our expectation. in 1990 we hit with once in a lifetime coach after him we are essentially at the expectation level of Colorado, ASU, Stanford and Cal.
    Disagree as wholeheartedly as I can. Nothing before the Pac 12 counts. We are paying Larry an extraordinary amount of money. We have invested a ton in facilities. We have a great arena and fans. We don't have to find another Majerus to achieve the goals I suggest. It is not a once in a lifetime proposition. The Pac 12 should get 5 or 6 bids a year, and we should be one of them just about every year. If the Pac 12 gets a lot less, we should still be one of them. Thank goodness you are not the AD: I think you have given up. Urban Meyer was a once in a lifetime coach, and then KW was there all along. BB should be easier to recruit to than football. Look at Gonzaga. Or SDSU or Nevada for that matter. (I know Gonzaga has a once in a lifetime coach, and likely will disappear when he retires. They don't have our program advantages).
    Last edited by concerned; 03-11-2019 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Disagree as wholeheartedly as I can. Nothing before the Pac 12 counts. We are paying Larry an extraordinary amount of money. We have invested a ton in facilities. We have a great arena and fans. We don't have to find another Majerus to achieve the goals I suggest. It is not a once in a lifetime proposition. The Pac 12 should get 5 or 6 bids a year, and we should be one of them just about every year. If the Pac 12 gets a lot less, we should still be one of them. Thank goodness you are not the AD: I think you have given up. Urban Meyer was a once in a lifetime coach, and then KW was there all along. BB should be easier to recruit to than football. Look at Gonzaga. Or SDSU or Nevada for that matter.
    I havent given up. I'm just being real. I want what you want but I'm saying its not all that realistic. What other coach (who would come to Utah) would do what you are saying? Lets say we fire Krysto what's the gamble we are doing better? Are we all of sudden going to get better recruits? Football is much different as we have lots of polynesians who we can get to come to our school.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Is that you in LA Ute's photo?
    Yes, I am getting ready to shake Big Morley's hand.

I havent given up. I'm just being real. I want what you want but I'm saying its not all that realistic. What other coach (who would come to Utah) would do what you are saying? Lets say we fire Krysto what's the gamble we are doing better? Are we all of sudden going to get better recruits? Football is much different as we have lots of polynesians who we can get to come to our school.
    I think they made recruiting mistakes in trying for 1 & done types without offering to pay them. Now they are getting kids that are 3 & 4 *, who should be here for 3-4 years. that is a much better formula. Plus the payoffs appear to be more out of control the last 5 years, maybe that will not still happen?? (yeah right---did Pace get his $$).
    Not sure Big Rick had to fight that as much, but maybe it was just more under the table.

Nevada will be interesting---they had a twin who could have gone pro, but wanted to play with his brother.

SDSU--did Fischer pay players???---he came from the Fab 5 school.

As for Rylan Jones---he is now dyeing his hair blond---. Beside that: 1 point for him is that he is always around Utah practices, so he knows the system & terminology.

The Big Finn will be here for a stretch in the summer, but then he goes back to play for the Finnish National Team in a Euro tournament.

Finally: Lahat in drills, can handle the ball & catch it, his shot is somewhat flat---not CJJ flat, but much better than the Jayce 1 handed fling from the FT line.

You sound like like Gordon Monson saying it was a mistake to fire McBride becausue we would never get anybody better. You have no faith in the program.

I don't know if MRD has no faith in the program or if concerned has unrealistic expectations, but I do know that we have a great window of opportunity right now. The Pac-12 is very bad but will not remain very bad forever. Some set of teams will rise to the occasion and become perennial contenders in the conference. UCLA, Arizona, Oregon, and UW are the likeliest candidates right now in my eyes, but Utah could join them. We have some advantages relative to the other contenders.

Harlan's task for the next 1-2 seasons is to decide if Larry will be the guy to take us to that level or if there is a realistic better option.

For me, Larry's shortcoming has not been going for the one and dones and missing. I think Utah had a decent chance of signing each kid that falls into that category. The problem I see is that he has routinely signed players he cannot seem to coach thereby missing on guys who could have contributed. You cannot build a program that routinely makes it to the NCAA tourney and miss on 2 players every recruiting class.

As in football, I expect Utah basketball to be the premier program in the State, to challenge for the PAC 12 championship each year and to make the NCAA tourney 2/3 of the time (I expect a bowl every year because it only requires a .500 winning %). I want to see kids stay and progress as players and people. I don't think Larry has met my expectations, but I am willing to see what happens with the returning players and the incoming class. That probably means I am on board for at least 2 more seasons. However, if we lose core people to transfer again this year, I'm ready to move on.

Good news everybody! Larry is now the 11th highest paid coach in the country! http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/sala...ketball/coach/
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.