Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 37

Thread: March Madness thread

  1. #1

    March Madness thread

    I didn't see a March Madness thread which is something this forum desperately needs

    Some conference tournaments have already began and teams are playing well into the night for a chance at the big dance. I saw that a WCC game will end around 3am Eastern time due to daylight savings. Crazy!


    For 25 years I’ve met up with buddies and taken the first and second days of the NCAA tournament off to watch games, still going to this day. Only one year I couldn’t, had to quit that job, that's just unacceptable. I typically bounce around from places each year, TWC is great, BWW is ok except one year I had to beg them to change it away from Ellen to live games plus I hung out with Loyter that year by accident.


    One year I sat with Moses Scurry from the 1990 UNLV team that dominated, yes he was one of the guys from the hot tub photo. A few years ago I was checking out the scene of first round games downtown and a scalper gave me a great deal on lower bowl seats, the games had already begun so he was dumping them. I sat by Rachel Nichols from ESPN for Northwestern and Vanderbilt, game of the tournament. In the past we used to go to Wendover but missed most of the games due to sitting at the blackjack table, still fun though. I remember watching Utah vs Arizona in 1998 in Las Vegas with some of my BYU fan friends. Great memory.


    I’ll be doing it again this year. Filling out probably 23 brackets in hopes one of them does well or perfect, it would be nice to retire. Probably some wing joint or dive bar with some buddies. Maybe running into somebody I didn’t plan on. I love it.


    I’d like to read some of your NCAA tournament traditions. What places do you go or things you’ve been a part of for the tournament? People you've encountered. It’s almost here!

  2. #2
    I wish I had your traditions, Thrill. I just watch every year, as much as I possibly can. I used to fill out a bracket, but I've stopped thinking seriously about it in recent years. Now I just take Duke all the way every year. I don't like any conflict in my heart when I root for a cinderella.

  3. #3
    Every year I tell myself that I'll take Thursday and Friday off for the first round, and just binge the whole day. But work always gets in the way. March seems to be a busy month. And i usually have 5 days of PTO I have to take off before March 15th, which is in time for the PAC-12 tournament, but not for the NCAA's.
    I saw a door that said exit only. So I entered through it and went up to the guy working there and said "I have good news. You have severely underestimated that door over there. By like a hundred percent." Demetri Marti

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by The Thrill View Post

    I’d like to read some of your NCAA tournament traditions. What places do you go or things you’ve been a part of for the tournament? People you've encountered. It’s almost here!
    This isnt the NCAA tournament per se but this will be the 7th year in a row of going to vegas for the Pac12 tournament. I get together with old friends and (now brothers are tagging along) and have a good time going to all the games and such. I plan to keep this tradition for as long as they keep doing the conference tournament.

    through the years we've encountered a lot of interesting characters. Last year we had a trangendered Az fan in front of us. She was was really nice and love college basketball. back when the tourney was in the mgm grand we sat next to these great UCLA fans whose son was back up qb for the bruins. We also met Dakari Tucker's dad one year and had great conversation. Two Utes knows the coaches on Utah's team and one of the assistants fairly well and he stopped to talk with us last year while we were eating lunch.
    Last edited by Mormon Red Death; 03-11-2019 at 08:05 AM.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Every year I tell myself that I'll take Thursday and Friday off for the first round, and just binge the whole day. But work always gets in the way. March seems to be a busy month. And i usually have 5 days of PTO I have to take off before March 15th, which is in time for the PAC-12 tournament, but not for the NCAA's.
    I've done this the last couple of years and let me tell you...it is incredible and I highly recommend it. This year, it falls during my kids Spring Break, so we'll be in Utah and actually go to the games in SLC, so it should be fun.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  6. #6
    March madness starts now!

    ACC tournament is under way.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    March madness starts now!

    ACC tournament is under way.
    Wofford's win last night probably helps the bubble teams, as UNCG is likely to not get in.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  8. #8
    Saint Mary's steals a bid by winning the WCC tourney. If enough of the other very good teams perform well in their conference tournaments, I would hope Gonzaga loses their 1-seed.

    The ACC could get two 1-seeds between UVa, UNC, and Duke. The SEC could get one from Tennessee or Kentucky. The Big10 could get one from MSU.

  9. #9
    Great game going on right now. Clemson was up 20+ vs NCState in a bubble elimination game. Now State is up 1 with 4 minutes to go. I'm snowed in today (everything in Denver seems to have closed), and I'm starting Madness binging early.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,325
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Great game going on right now. Clemson was up 20+ vs NCState in a bubble elimination game. Now State is up 1 with 4 minutes to go. I'm snowed in today (everything in Denver seems to have closed), and I'm starting Madness binging early.
    not judging but a certain Daniels on the Wolfpack finished 2-9 with 5 points

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    not judging but a certain Daniels on the Wolfpack finished 2-9 with 5 points
    The pack got bailed out by a pretty bad call at the end of the game. A good reminder that the officials typically play as much of a role as the players in March.

  12. #12
    Hope you are all in a place to watch basketball today. Lots of bubble teams in close games right now.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Hope you are all in a place to watch basketball today. Lots of bubble teams in close games right now.
    I gotta say...I'd probably rather see Belmont, UNCG, and some of these other mid-majors over a 15 loss Indiana team or NC State squad.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I gotta say...I'd probably rather see Belmont, UNCG, and some of these other mid-majors over a 15 loss Indiana team or NC State squad.
    Sure, it's fun to see upsets and cinderellas. I don't want to reach a point where we use a "most entertaining" criteria over a "best team" criteria for the tournament, though. Do your best to pick the best teams, and let the cinderellas happen naturally.

  15. #15
    Tim Miles and his Nebraska Cornhuskers have beaten Rutgers and now Maryland, essentially with 7 guys. Wisconsin up next.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  16. #16
    The bracketologists still have Gonzaga as a 1-seed based on computer rankings and the eye test. The Zags finished 2-2 vs at-large worthy teams, with 3 of the 4 games being very close (and one of the wins against another potential 1 seed in Duke). They finished 28-1 vs teams that are not at-large worthy, with the 1 loss at least coming against a team that probably would have made the NIT.

    It's hard to compare that kind of resume to a team that has played 15-20 games against the bubble or better.

  17. #17
    Looks like the winner of the A-10 is going to steal a bid with VCU getting knocked out today and none of the other teams being locks.

    Likewise, if either Memphis or Wichita St. wins the American, that would be a stolen bid.

    If Bowling Green beats Buffalo tomorrow, that's a stolen bid.

    SDSU over USU/Fresno winner could steal one.

    New Mexico st. is currently 43 in the NET, so if they were to lose to UVU/Grand Canyon, they would be a bubble team.

    Should be an exciting Saturday.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    The bracketologists still have Gonzaga as a 1-seed based on computer rankings and the eye test. The Zags finished 2-2 vs at-large worthy teams, with 3 of the 4 games being very close (and one of the wins against another potential 1 seed in Duke). They finished 28-1 vs teams that are not at-large worthy, with the 1 loss at least coming against a team that probably would have made the NIT.

    It's hard to compare that kind of resume to a team that has played 15-20 games against the bubble or better.
    I think the 1 seed scenarios are really interesting, so I'll harp on it some more.

    There are 6 deserving teams: Gonzaga, Duke, UNC, UVa, MSU, and whoever wins between Kentucky/Tennessee. The interesting part, though, is how inbred their schedules are:

    Gonzaga beat Duke. Duke beat Kentucky, UNC, and UVa. UNC beat Duke and Gonzaga. UVa beat UNC. Kentucky beat UNC and Tennessee. Tennessee beat Kentucky and Gonzaga.

    The only disconnected school in the mix is MSU, but they have more Q1 wins than anyone.

    You can make a strong case for any of them. Gonzaga falls short on volume, but they sure do look good. UVa has only lost to two teams this season, and they were both top 15 teams.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,325
    Utah State is fun to watch. Sam Merrill is a terrific player. I'm green with envy.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Utah State is fun to watch. Sam Merrill is a terrific player. I'm green with envy.
    It'll be interesting to see how long Craig Smith is there. Were I Wazzu, I'd make a run at him.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    It'll be interesting to see how long Craig Smith is there. Were I Wazzu, I'd make a run at him.
    If I were Craig Smith, I would jump at just about any P5 job...except WSU.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Utah State is fun to watch. Sam Merrill is a terrific player. I'm green with envy.
    Merrill is good, and from the few games I've seen, Queta is just as important to that team's success.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Merrill is good, and from the few games I've seen, Queta is just as important to that team's success.
    USU/UW should be good. Thybulle vs Merrill. UW has bigs to counter Queta. Winner gets to lose to the Tar Heels.

  24. #24
    Computers say the East region is the toughest.

    According to ESPN BPI, these are the most likely upsets at each seed line:

    1/16 Iona over UNC at 1.8%
    2/15 Colgate over Tennessee at 5%
    3/14 Yale over LSU at 20.2%
    4/13 Vermont over FSU at 25%
    5/12 Murray State over Marquette at 33.3%
    6/11 Saint Mary's over Villanova at 38.3%
    7/10 Florida over Nevada at 43.5%
    8/9 Oklahoma over Ole Miss at 54%

  25. #25
    My thoughts on first year of NET: I think they should make NET transparent, and the committee should rely more heavily on it. There shouldn't be much guessing when it comes to seeding or inclusion, and everyone should know the rules ahead of time. Take the decisions out of the committee's hands.

    I think it's very strange that St John's is in the tournament with a NET in the 70s when there are teams left out with NET in the 30s.

  26. #26
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,325
    not sure if this means anything other than a below average year, but Utah went 1-8 vs. teams in the Big Dance and 1-1 vs. teams in the NIT

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    My thoughts on first year of NET: I think they should make NET transparent, and the committee should rely more heavily on it. There shouldn't be much guessing when it comes to seeding or inclusion, and everyone should know the rules ahead of time. Take the decisions out of the committee's hands.

    I think it's very strange that St John's is in the tournament with a NET in the 70s when there are teams left out with NET in the 30s.
    Agree.

    It's hard to reconcile a team like NC State having a NET of 33 and the 353rd SOS in the country. How are both of those things possible? NC State being in the ACC, I suppose. But yes...I think teams need to know and be really clear on how to calculate that formula and understand exactly what a win or a loss means on their NET.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Agree.

    It's hard to reconcile a team like NC State having a NET of 33 and the 353rd SOS in the country. How are both of those things possible? NC State being in the ACC, I suppose. But yes...I think teams need to know and be really clear on how to calculate that formula and understand exactly what a win or a loss means on their NET.

    NCState's SOS is 49. The pack was punished for a bad OOC SOS, which is a meaningless stat for judging quality of a team. This is why the committee can't rely on entirely on computer metrics. They don't necessarily want the best teams; they also need to use the tournament as a carrot for Nov and Dec scheduling. If they didn't have that carrot, there would be almost no incentive to make college basketball watchable before conference play.

  29. #29
    https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...edium=referrer

    Ha! Well done, "Fairleigh Dickinson". Well done....
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

    "You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

    "Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...edium=referrer

    Ha! Well done, "Fairleigh Dickinson". Well done....
    I was at the game, and my brother and Dad wondered about this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •