Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TMobile Tourney Time - pac 12 tournament in vegas

TMobile Tourney Time - pac 12 tournament in vegas

Can we include the conference tournament in this thread? It is part of March madness, in a way.

So how about Oregon? They have a game before they play us, so maybe they will be tired. Anything to reduce their quickness will help. On defense they probably are going to press us as much as they can to force turnovers, and try to take away our three-point shots. On offense they will drive to the hoop to exploit our inside deficiency. That was the strategy UCLA used to close the gap yesterday. If Jayce is back in time to play Thursday. that may not work so well for them.

What will we do? Zone them and try to make them beat us from outside?
    Last edited by LA Ute; 03-11-2019 at 05:28 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Can we include the conference tournament in this thread? It is part of March madness, in a way.

So how about Oregon? They have a game before they play us, so maybe they will be tired. Anything to reduce their quickness will help. On defense they probably are going to press us as much as they can to force turnovers, and try to take away our three-point shots. On offense they will drive to the hoop to exploit our inside deficiency. That was the strategy UCLA used to close the gap yesterday. If Jayce is back in time to play Thursday. that may not work so well for them.

What will we do? Zone them and try to make them beat us from outside?
    Our first game vs UO was a low point. We were up, playing well, then we turned into a turnover machine under pressure, a colossal collapse.

I'm with you, I like that they'll be on a second game in 2 nights, I'm hopeful we'll be better prepared to deal with UO's defensive pressure, and Jayce (better be) back to provide some defense in the paint.

Hopefully Wazzu shoots well and has the Ducks running everywhere to cover everything. That would certainly help us.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    Our first game vs UO was a low point. We were up, playing well, then we turned into a turnover machine under pressure, a colossal collapse.
    If some stats analytics guy would break down man-to-man defenses vs zone defenses against Utah this season, I feel reasonably confident that a pattern would emerge. Oregon plays the best man-to-man defense in the conference and is therefore a really rough match up for us.

Still, gotta play the games!

TMobile Tourney Time - pac 12 tournament in vegas

Heres the bracket in case this doesnt show up:

2019 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Tournament ScheduleT-Mobile Arena (Capacity: 18,000) – Las Vegas

Wed., March 13

Game 1: No. 8 USC vs. No. 9 ARIZONA, 12:00 p.m. PT PAC12 Roxy Bernstein, Don MacLean, Jill Savage

Game 2:No. 5 COLORADO vs. No. 12 CALIFORNIA, 2:30 p.m. PT* PAC12 Roxy Bernstein, Don MacLean, Jill Savage

Game 3: No. 7 UCLA vs. No. 10 STANFORD, 6:00 p.m. PT PAC12 Ted Robinson, Bill Walton, Lewis Johnson

Game 4: No. 6 OREGON vs. No. 11 WASHINGTON STATE, 8:30 p.m. PT* PAC12 Ted Robinson, Bill Walton, Lewis JohnsonThurs.,

March 14

Game 5: No. 1 WASHINGTON vs. Game 1 winner, 12:00 p.m. PT PAC12 Roxy Bernstein, Don MacLean, Jill Savage

Game 6: No. 4 OREGON STATE vs. Game 2 winner, 2:30 p.m. PT* PAC12 Roxy Bernstein, Don MacLean, Jill Savage

Game 7: No. 2 ARIZONA STATE vs. Game 3 winner, 6:00 p.m. PT PAC12 Ted Robinson, Bill Walton, Lewis Johnson

Game 8: No. 3 UTAH vs. Game 4 winner, 8:30 p.m. PT* ESPN Dave Pasch, Bill Walton, Molly McGrathFri.,

March 15

Game 9: Semifinal 1, 6:00 p.m. PT PAC12 Ted Robinson, Bill Walton, Lewis Johnson

Game 10: Semifinal 2, 8:30 p.m. PT* ESPN Dave Pasch, Bill Walton, Molly McGrathSat.,

March 16

Game 11: Championship, 7:30 p.m. PT ESPN Dave
    Last edited by Mormon Red Death; 03-11-2019 at 09:53 AM.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

I think we probably would've preferred UCLA/WSU in that 6/11 tilt, but the Cougars will be a tough out for the Ducks.

ASU will seemingly have an easy path to the semifinals (trying for the DNF curse here...hoping that Stanford or UCLA takes them out).
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Round 1 thoughts:

Arizona/USC - This seems like it may be a contest of which team cares less. I think Arizona probably gets the win...and if you think ute fans have buyer's remorse over extending Larry through 2023...think of how USC fans feel about Enfield, who is likewise under contract through 2023.

Cal vs. Colorado - I think the Buffs have a legitimate shot at getting to the final. They are playing well and have a decent draw.

Stanford vs. UCLA - Like USC, UCLA is an underachieving squad who may just want to get the season over with. Stanford has had moments this year, including scoring 100+ over UCLA. I like the Cardinal to advance.

Oregon vs. Wazzu - Two pretty dangerous teams here in the Ernie Kent bowl. The Ducks will win...we just have to hope they are pushed so that they are tired for the game against us.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    ...and if you think ute fans have buyer's remorse over extending Larry through 2023...think of how USC fans feel about Enfield, who is likewise under contract through 2023.
    But Enfield sure did have a burst of recruiting success early in his tenure!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    But Enfield sure did have a burst of recruiting success early in his tenure!
    He's got a good class coming in as well. I think he's got a set of brothers coming in over the next few years that are currently coached by Sed's dad. How about that?

first PAC-12 game of the day is Miller's - Arizona vs. Enfield's - USC, winner gets ankle bracelet removed

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    first PAC-12 game of the day is Miller's - Arizona vs. Enfield's - USC, winner gets ankle bracelet removed
    USC with the lead in the 2nd half 57-45

Round 1 thoughts:

Arizona/USC - This seems like it may be a contest of which team cares less. I think Arizona probably gets the win...and if you think ute fans have buyer's remorse over extending Larry through 2023...think of how USC fans feel about Enfield, who is likewise under contract through 2023.

Cal vs. Colorado - I think the Buffs have a legitimate shot at getting to the final. They are playing well and have a decent draw.

Stanford vs. UCLA - Like USC, UCLA is an underachieving squad who may just want to get the season over with. Stanford has had moments this year, including scoring 100+ over UCLA. I like the Cardinal to advance.

Oregon vs. Wazzu - Two pretty dangerous teams here in the Ernie Kent bowl. The Ducks will win...we just have to hope they are pushed so that they are tired for the game against us.
    0-1

0-1
    What an ignominious season for Sean Miller. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post

--Yeats

Colorado beats Cal in a rock fight. Should be a slugfest against Oregon St. tomorrow.

I ended up 2-2 on my day 1 predictions. I suppose I undervalued USC and UCLA's motivation.

The trendy pick for folks today will be to pick the Ducks over the Utes. Folks on Twitter are acting like we're staring down the 90-91 UNLV Runnin Rebels here.

For today's games, I'll go with:

UW over USC
    CU over OSU
    ASU over UCLA
    Utah over Oregon

I think we're due a year in which we make the tournament in which we didn't deserve to make the tournament. In fact, I can't think of a year in which we rose up and stole a bid by winning the conference tournament -- although our seeding in 2004 suggested we might've missed had Jacobsen not hit that shot against UNLV. No matter -- Larry bears the brunt of blame for missing in our NIT years, but he's a good enough of a coach, we have enough talent and the league is down just enough where I think we steal a bid if we can get past Oregon today.

The trendy pick for folks today will be to pick the Ducks over the Utes. Folks on Twitter are acting like we're staring down the 90-91 UNLV Runnin Rebels here.
    Every ranking system out there has the Ducks as a significantly better team than Utah (ESPN gives Oregon a 75% chance), and my eye test mostly agrees. Still, Oregon managed to lose a lot in the Pac-12 this season; why not one more loss?

I do think Oregon is a particularly bad match up for us. Their strengths negate our one strength - outside shooting.

A win tonight would be a great surprise.
    Last edited by sancho; 03-14-2019 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Larry bears the brunt of blame for missing in our NIT years
    I suspect you are referring to scheduling and not to coaching? For some reason, it's become a pet peeve of mine to hear people say that our schedule cost us NCAA bids. What is correct is that our schedule cost us additional opportunities to earn NCAA bids. In our NIT years, we had plenty of chances to secure bids and came up short. A few more good OOC games would have represented more opportunities, but it is imprecise to say that our schedule cost us bids.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Every ranking system out there has the Ducks as a significantly better team than Utah (ESPN gives Oregon a 75% chance), and my eye test mostly agrees. Still, Oregon managed to lose a lot in the Pac-12 this season; why not one more loss?

I do think Oregon is a particularly bad match up for us. Their strengths negate our one strength - outside shooting.

A win tonight would be a great surprise.
    If Bol stays healthy, Oregon is easily a tournament team...so there's no question that this will be a tough game for us. Hopefully Sed and PVD get some good looks early.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I suspect you are referring to scheduling and not to coaching? For some reason, it's become a pet peeve of mine to hear people say that our schedule cost us NCAA bids. What is correct is that our schedule cost us additional opportunities to earn NCAA bids. In our NIT years, we had plenty of chances to secure bids and came up short. A few more good OOC games would have represented more opportunities, but it is imprecise to say that our schedule cost us bids.
    Yes and no, right? Isn't the problem, ironically, more about our wins than our losses? What I've heard suggested is that we're beating TOO crappy of crappy teams. Everyone plays pushovers, but beating some team rated +300 is worse for our SOS than losing to a team rated, say +170-ish.

So, I agree, we had opportunities that we lost by actually losing. But our scheduling on the bottom end has created for us a ball-and-chain that's almost impossible to shake unless we go bonkers in conf.

Anyway, here's to the Runnin Utes getting the Altman albatross (duck?) off their necks.

Quote Originally Posted by FountainOfUte View Post
    So, I agree, we had opportunities that we lost by actually losing. But our scheduling on the bottom end has created for us a ball-and-chain that's almost impossible to shake unless we go bonkers in conf.
    Our NIT years would have still been NIT years if we had beaten 200 level teams instead of 300 level teams. At the time, with the transparent RPI, we could calculate what our RPI would have been without the anchor of the really bad teams. It was still not the RPI of an at-large team. Last season in particular, USC was like a carbon copy of Utah in terms of quality wins but with 200 level opponents in place of the 300 level teams. They had the better RPI due to their scheduling, and it wasn't enough.

The thing that kept us out was a lack of quality wins. We definitely didn't need to go "bonkers in conference". We just needed to win a few of those games against at-large teams that instead were close losses. If we had replaced our 300-level teams with at-large quality teams, we may have won some of those games and earned a spot. But a simple improvement of the schedule alone would not have been enough for us.

100%, yes, our scheduling was awful and was a mistake, especially considering how transparent the RPI was. But it is not accurate to say that our scheduling alone cost us NCAA bids.

Washington and USC going down to the wire here. 3 point game with 1:44 to play.

Washington and USC going down to the wire here. 3 point game with 1:44 to play.
    78-75 final. Huskies hang on. I tell ya, this team can be had. I would not at all be surprised to see the winner of CU/OSU beat them.

78-75 final. Huskies hang on. I tell ya, this team can be had. I would not at all be surprised to see the winner of CU/OSU beat them.
    Go fighting Tinkles!

How would you attack Oregon's press. I would start Battin, Tillman, Allen, Sed and PVD to see if there is a scheme that can successfully attack it. I don't think either Jayce or Topa can be of much help. If there is, then you can rotate those guys in. I don't give us more than a 10% chance of winning.

We’ve got to end this scoring drought.

--Yeats

I think we need to push hard against this press. Tillman has drawn multiple fouls on the drive. Just keep going at them.

Hard to give Oregon credit for half of the turnovers. We’re just attempting bad passes.

--Yeats

It's the Donnie and Jayce show!

Feels like if we get down by more than 5 points, it may be an insurmountable lead.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.