Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Offseason thread

2019 Offseason thread

Arkansas-little rock guard Rayjon Tucker has decided to leave as a grad transfer (20 points, 7 boards last year, 40% from the arc). Our staff has contacted him to gauge interest, along with many others.

Other guys we are recruiting at this point are juco guards Rayquan Evans Tajzmel sherman. Both bring unique skillsets that would be beneficial. Also have an offer out to 2019 top 100 high school guard Harlond Beverly. I dont expect we will even get a visit there, but this could be another Vante Hendrix, so you never know.

2019 Offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Arkansas-little rock guard Rayjon Tucker has decided to leave as a grad transfer (20 points, 7 boards last year, 40% from the arc). Our staff has contacted him to gauge interest, along with many others.

Other guys we are recruiting at this point are juco guards Rayquan Evans Tajzmel sherman. Both bring unique skillsets that would be beneficial. Also have an offer out to 2019 top 100 high school guard Harlond Beverly. I dont expect we will even get a visit there, but this could be another Vante Hendrix, so you never know.
    Pretty good information, even from a shill. Thanks!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Brandon Morley's name in the hoops transfer portal

https://twitter.com/tribkurt/status/1108469349931601920

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Brandon Morley's name in the hoops transfer portal

https://twitter.com/tribkurt/status/1108469349931601920

DrumNFeather mentioned that his name has been on there for a while; even during the season, I believe.

Arkansas-little rock guard Rayjon Tucker has decided to leave as a grad transfer
    We are about to enter the annual transfer market explosion, right? It's, like, what, 500 players per year?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    We are about to enter the annual transfer market explosion, right? It's, like, what, 500 players per year?
    In the last couple of years, we are closer to 800, rising each year.

"Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    So he committed to fresno and then ends up at unm? Well.....ok then!

So does he need to sit out a whole year now, or is he eligible mid-season?

If this was just about playing time, he was short-sighted. He'd be in line for a ton of minutes next season.

I was at the first round NCAA games & came away thinking the Utes have to be bigger next year. The better teams had at least 2 big guys that could rebound. Not sure starting Tillman & Allen will work. Not sure how they both get enough minutes, not sure they can guard a 2.

The big Finn is supposedly a great rebound-er, dare I suggest an Alex Jensen type player, ( I know that is close to sacrilege). If true, that would be a solid front-court when teamed up with either Headband Jayce or the Hat at the 5.

most teams ran the same offense as the Utes, But their bigs held the screens longer--instead of slipping (for the pass that never came from the Ute guards), so the guards could cut hard to the hoop.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    I was at the first round NCAA games & came away thinking the Utes have to be bigger next year. The better teams had at least 2 big guys that could rebound. Not sure starting Tillman & Allen will work. Not sure how they both get enough minutes, not sure they can guard a 2.
    Tillman and Allen can work just fine if the guard play is good enough. There are a thousand ways to have a good basketball team, and 90% of them involve good guard play.

Two opponents lost pieces today. UCLA's Wilkes and BYU's Childs declared for the draft.

Two opponents lost pieces today. UCLA's Wilkes and BYU's Childs declared for the draft.
    Our friends to the south are in some trouble. Their recruiting over the last 3 years has been pretty bad. Thatll catch up at some point; a lot like our misses in 2016 and 2017 are hurting us now.

Our friends to the south are in some trouble. Their recruiting over the last 3 years has been pretty bad. Thatll catch up at some point; a lot like our misses in 2016 and 2017 are hurting us now.
    Instead of playing in Europe why doesnt childs transfer to a different program like Reed Travis?
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Instead of playing in Europe why doesnt childs transfer to a different program like Reed Travis?
    The last remaining zoob in my life is an old guy at church. He says that Yoeli is married and that his wife won't finish at BYU for another year. In that situation, it either makes sense to stay or to start making money.

I find it mildly interesting that in 3 consecutive seasons, their best player has left early, each with very little hope of the NBA. Is this more prominent across college basketball than I realize?

I find it mildly interesting that in 3 consecutive seasons, their best player has left early, each with very little hope of the NBA. Is this more prominent across college basketball than I realize?
    Most players transfer but stay in college. What they did is not very common, unless they expect to get drafted but don't.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Most players transfer but stay in college. What they did is not very common, unless they expect to get drafted but don't.
    Right, I just cant imagine any of them really thought theyd get drafted. I suppose they had eyes on a european paycheck. YC could still get drafted, but I doubt it. Interesting situation happening there.

Right, I just cant imagine any of them really thought theyd get drafted. I suppose they had eyes on a european paycheck. YC could still get drafted, but I doubt it. Interesting situation happening there.
    Will he “graduate” this year—if not, then another year will not really make him a better player for the pros, so he might as well start earning money. The only reason to transfer would be like Reed Travis & play for a championship. But Travis has a Stanford degree already, os maybe he will make more money in business rather than Euro BB.?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    But Travis has a Stanford degree already, os maybe he will make more money in business rather than Euro BB.?
    Reed majored in Science, Technology, and Society, which is the jock major at Stanford. I'm guessing he'll be making his money through basketball.

Pac-12 POY Jaylen Noelle declares.

Charles Jones officially transferring. Maybe this means we are going to get one of our targets. maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Charles Jones officially transferring. Maybe this means we are going to get one of our targets. maybe not.
    Who is reporting this? (Sorry...in class and couldnt find it on twitter in a brief search.)

Who is reporting this? (Sorry...in class and couldnt find it on twitter in a brief search.)
    Steve Bartle from Ute Zone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks.

Too bad it didn't work here. Hopefully, this'll be the spot for taz or a grad transfer. The initial wave of transfers tends to be announced all together. Hopefully this yeat it's limited to this.

Lou Dort is heading to the NBA and hiring an agent. Tres Tinkle will go through the process.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

We could use toolson as a replacement for PVD

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Lou Dort is heading to the NBA and hiring an agent. Tres Tinkle will go through the process.
    Okpala from Stanford declaring for draft.