Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Jayce lands at Marquette and will be slapping the floor with Wojo for his final season.
    Jayce is either stupid and/or desperate, or Utah/Pac 12 hoops is a big flaming mess. Maybe it's both. I still can't believe all parties involved let it get to this point. Marquette? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Jayce is either stupid and/or desperate, or Utah/Pac 12 hoops is a big flaming mess. Maybe it's both. I still can't believe all parties involved let it get to this point. Marquette? Really?
    Marquette is a tournament team. Maybe Jayce wants to experience March Madness once before he's done.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Marquette is a tournament team. Maybe Jayce wants to experience March Madness once before he's done.

Well, they should be pretty damn good next year. Markus Howard passed on the draft and everyone comes back.

Jayce will be the third kid with state/U ties on that team, and Stan Johnson was an assistant under Boylen.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Lets make use of this. Change it to Sean Miller or Nico Mannion.
    Just saw that the San Jose Mercury guy predicted someone other than Jayden Daniels to start for ASU this year. He'd be a nice pickup.

Not really a Utah thing, but a college hoops thing. The NCAA is now allowing championship events to be held in states that offer sports wagering. Until this year, that affected only Nevada. Now, with eight states offering it (and more to come), the NCAA ain't gonna bother with the exemption anymore.

Las Vegas, obviously, becomes a major player to host first- and second-round games. That's competition for SLC. Eventually, it will get a regional final and Final Four, the latter being something SLC doesn't have to worry about. On the flip side, Las Vegas seems like a natural site to host a gymanstics final. I think gymnastics could do itself a favor and just select three neutral-site locations (Atlanta, Dallas, Las Vegas) and rotate.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp...504-story.html

EDIT: It helps to read an entire story before commenting. Las Vegas has said it won't pursue the opening rounds of the NCAA Tournament.

Not really a Utah thing, but a college hoops thing. The NCAA is now allowing championship events to be held in states that offer sports wagering. Until this year, that affected only Nevada. Now, with eight states offering it (and more to come), the NCAA ain't gonna bother with the exemption anymore.

Las Vegas, obviously, becomes a major player to host first- and second-round games. That's competition for SLC. Eventually, it will get a regional final and Final Four, the latter being something SLC doesn't have to worry about. On the flip side, Las Vegas seems like a natural site to host a gymanstics final. I think gymnastics could do itself a favor and just select three neutral-site locations (Atlanta, Dallas, Las Vegas) and rotate.

EDIT: It helps to read an entire story before commenting. Las Vegas has said it won't pursue the opening rounds of the NCAA Tournament.
    I am guessing they fill like they already do well economically in the first and second round without actually hosting anything.

Vegas is waiting until they have an inappropriate enough football stadium to finally qualify to host a Final Four!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What, if anything, does the delay in naming an assistant basketball coach say about LK or the program?

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    What, if anything, does the delay in naming an assistant basketball coach say about LK or the program?
    Not sure, but I do know what the complete lack of chatter and coverage of that potential transaction says about the apathy of the fanbase right now.

Transition within the sports information department, perhaps?

Transition within the sports information department, perhaps?
    Someone has been hired but they can't write a press release? If that is the case, I have serious concerns about Harlan.

Someone has been hired but they can't write a press release? If that is the case, I have serious concerns about Harlan.
    Reading the tea leaves, I'd be pretty surprised if it's anyone other than Henry Martinez.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Reading the tea leaves, I'd be pretty surprised if it's anyone other than Henry Martinez.
    Who is that?

I dont know what it says, other than it being the status quo. For better and worse, this staff goes about its business while keeping most things tight lipped. I am not too worried. The roster is set. I am glad they seem to be taking their time to do this right.

I dont know what it says, other than it being the status quo. For better and worse, this staff goes about its business while keeping most things tight lipped. I am not too worried. The roster is set. I am glad they seem to be taking their time to do this right.
    Also, I take it as yet another sign that Larry barely cares about the opinions of donors and fans, for better or worse. This program is his.

Also, I take it as yet another sign that Larry barely cares about the opinions of donors and fans, for better or worse. This program is his.
    Blue collar guy!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

If Whitt had a tiny bit more of that, we may have avoided the OC fiascso.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Blue collar guy!
    He is the epitome of a blue collar guy.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    If Whitt had a tiny bit more of that, we may have avoided the OC fiascso.
    I totally disagree with this. Whit could give two shits what donors or fans think when it comes to his hires. Most of the OC issues have been the result of Whit's own conflicts. He was raised as a coach on winning with a tough D, great special teams and physical offense. As a DC, however, his biggest challenges were with teams with dual threat QB's who could also stretch the field with through the air. He thought he could have both. However, when the chips were down, he would opt for his philosophy.
    I really do not blame Johnson, Schramm or ARod. They were trying to do what Whit wanted them to do. Chow did his own thing and didn't care what Whit wanted and what Chow did fit Whit's underlying philosophy anyway. Same with Christensen. I think with Taylor, Whit finally realized that you cannot do everything. I think he has finally decided that instead of asking someone to have an offense that does everything, he will go with Lud who knows and shares his underlying philosophy.

I totally disagree with this. Whit could give two shits what donors or fans think when it comes to his hires.
    Ha. I can verify from first hand experience this is absolutely true. Sancho and UMS are making stuff up again.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

I'm just guessing here. I know Liz Abel's replacement has been announced, but don't know if he's on campus yet. Also, with the 2018-19 sports season and school year essentially over with, I doubt anyone is really in a hurry to announce anything. They all want to go on vacation, and at this time of year, they've totally earned it. My guess is we'll get a ton of information in one fell swoop regarding the schedule and the coaching staff, probably in the next week or two.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Not sure, but I do know what the complete lack of chatter and coverage of that potential transaction says about the apathy of the fanbase right now.
    Don't mistake my apathy about the assistant coach position with apathy about the program.

Great. Now let's see if his program can succeed. That's all most of us care about.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Donnie Tilman will do a workout with the Jazz tomorrow. He has until Wednesday to withdraw his name.

I totally disagree with this. Whit could give two shits what donors or fans think when it comes to his hires. Most of the OC issues have been the result of Whit's own conflicts. He was raised as a coach on winning with a tough D, great special teams and physical offense. As a DC, however, his biggest challenges were with teams with dual threat QB's who could also stretch the field with through the air. He thought he could have both. However, when the chips were down, he would opt for his philosophy.
    I really do not blame Johnson, Schramm or ARod. They were trying to do what Whit wanted them to do. Chow did his own thing and didn't care what Whit wanted and what Chow did fit Whit's underlying philosophy anyway. Same with Christensen. I think with Taylor, Whit finally realized that you cannot do everything. I think he has finally decided that instead of asking someone to have an offense that does everything, he will go with Lud who knows and shares his underlying philosophy.
    I agree with this assessment of the OC trail.

What will make this year really interesting is Whit knowing the offense has to continue rising, the return of Ludwig, and new faces in the kicking game. Great opportunity for Ludwig / Huntley / Moss / Covey & the receivers / Harding's crew, Shelley, etc.

Not having Matt & Mitch as hedges means the offense will need to produce more TDs, and go for it on more 4th downs between the 40 and 20, or whatever the shrinking comfort zone ends up being. Matt was the best FG kicker in program history... hopefully we find a serviceable, or even average kicker, and Ben Lennon is 85% of what Mitch was.
    Last edited by Ma'ake; 05-27-2019 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post

Michael Jordan could reportedly pluck coins off the top of the backboard with ease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Michael Jordan could reportedly pluck coins off the top of the backboard with ease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I remember hearing in the 80’s of a Utah player doing that. Albert Springs iirc.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I remember hearing in the 80’s of a Utah player doing that. Albert Springs iirc.
    With a name like that, you better be bouncy.