Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Offseason thread

Some reports out that Donnie Daniels is coming to Utah is Director of Basketball Operations. Huge, if accurate. Jones will move to 3rd assistant, I would assume

The news article says he'll be Director of Basketball Operations. If so, Chris Jones is going to be on the floor coaching, as Rylan joins the team.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    The news article says he'll be Director of Basketball Operations. If so, Chris Jones is going to be on the floor coaching, as Rylan joins the team.
    So the big question will be, how well can Jones recruit, cause Donnie isn't doing much of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    So the big question will be, how well can Jones recruit, cause Donnie isn't doing much of it.
    This isn't quite true. Going to houses? Correct. He wont do that, but he will be heavily involved.

https://www.hoopcoach.org/what-is-a-...ll-operations/

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Some reports out that Donnie Daniels is coming to Utah is Director of Basketball Operations. Huge, if accurate. Jones will move to 3rd assistant, I would assume
    This is going to pave the way for the Andre Miller era.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    This isn't quite true. Going to houses? Correct. He wont do that, but he will be heavily involved.

https://www.hoopcoach.org/what-is-a-...ll-operations/
    I'm thinking that it is not just the position that limits him in recruiting, but also the energy/time commitment he's willing to make. This might be why there hasn't been any announcement about what his duties are or what Chris Jones' role will be. I do like the idea of him counseling the players off court. Lessen any harshness from Coack K and Tommy.

https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/04/...seven-schools/

It appears we are out of the running for Hazzard. I am hoping there is another option out there, as I just don't see Jayce coming back anymore. As of right now, no seniors and one junior on the roster for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/04/...seven-schools/

As of right now, no seniors and one junior on the roster for next year.
    Well, we always wanted to be like Kentucky. I'm not sure we're doing it right though.

Jayce Johnson and Donnie Tillman are getting NBA evaluations.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    April Fool's to you too, DnF!

We are several years into this now and im 100% confident that at least one of our angry fans will try to mock them for thinking they are NBA worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by utahsmrsports View Post
    we are several years into this now and im 100% confident that at least one of our angry fans will try to mock them for thinking they are nba worthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejack View Post
    april fool's to you too, dnf!
    ding ding ding!!!!!

What're the latest rumors around Jayce? I feel like I've seen some rumors that his transferring away is all but done. Otherwise, I hear that no one really knows aside from the fact that the coaches are trying to keep him here.

I'll say this about JJ. I felt for a long time that he would be the kind of player who wouldn't start paying off for us until he was an upperclassman. Now, I know he broke his foot just before last season and had to come back from that, but even I mostly threw the towel in on him with the way he started the season. But as the season started winding down, I think we started to see the kind of player I thought he could be. The whole "Headband Jayce" was actually a nice (and admittedly still flawed) player. But that end-of-jr-year Jayce is a player we REALLY need next year and I'd welcome him "back" with open arms.

So, I hope the "he's already gone" guys are wrong. I'm crossing my fingers that they are. Does anyone know? Or what are the latest rumors?

Quote Originally Posted by FountainOfUte View Post
    What're the latest rumors around Jayce? I feel like I've seen some rumors that his transferring away is all but done. Otherwise, I hear that no one really knows aside from the fact that the coaches are trying to keep him here.

I'll say this about JJ. I felt for a long time that he would be the kind of player who wouldn't start paying off for us until he was an upperclassman. Now, I know he broke his foot just before last season and had to come back from that, but even I mostly threw the towel in on him with the way he started the season. But as the season started winding down, I think we started to see the kind of player I thought he could be. The whole "Headband Jayce" was actually a nice (and admittedly still flawed) player. But that end-of-jr-year Jayce is a player we REALLY need next year and I'd welcome him "back" with open arms.

So, I hope the "he's already gone" guys are wrong. I'm crossing my fingers that they are. Does anyone know? Or what are the latest rumors?
    Supposedly visited Nebraska. Best bet is that he is not returning.

It has happened:

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    It has happened:

We're getting Cal and Wazzu at home, which will both be Q4 games. Cal on the road may be as well.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

We're getting Cal and Wazzu at home, which will both be Q4 games. Cal on the road may be as well.
    Long term, though, this is a good thing for us.

next year: no AZ's at home, no Wash's on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Long term, though, this is a good thing for us.
    It's only a good thing if the league can consistently be a 5-league bid or better. And Cal and Wazzu need to firmly get out of the sub-200 NET rankings.

It's also not going to change the selection committee's emphasis on non-conference scheduling. "But we play two more league games!" isn't gonna carry much water if your non-conference slate is still in the high 200-plus nationally.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    It's only a good thing if the league can consistently be a 5-league bid or better. And Cal and Wazzu need to firmly get out of the sub-200 NET rankings.

It's also not going to change the selection committee's emphasis on non-conference scheduling. "But we play two more league games!" isn't gonna carry much water if your non-conference slate is still in the high 200-plus nationally.
    It would be a great thing if the league is a 5 bid league or better. But it can still be a good thing if the league is just not terrible again like it was this year. If there are no anchors in the league, this will just help. This should also make it easier to get the OOC schedule we need.

It's not a huge thing, but it is a good thing.

former Ute standout Tim Drisdom in the news this weekend, ugh feel bad for Tim

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2019/0...s-rearing-its/

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    former Ute standout Tim Drisdom in the news this weekend, ugh feel bad for Tim

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2019/0...s-rearing-its/
    This article is just despicable because 1) the fan behavior is beyong heinous and reprehensible, and 2) the UHSAA is acting like it doesn't know what to do about it. When this stuff is reliably documented, as is apparently the case based on the article, there is nothing to think about. You ban the perpetrator immediately from all UHSAA events for at least a year if not for life. It's not difficult.
    Last edited by Scratch; 05-06-2019 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    This article is just despicable because 1) the fan behavior is beyong heinous and reprehensible, and 2) the UHSAA is acting like it doesn't know what to do about it. When this stuff is reliably documented, as is apparently the case based on the article, there is nothing to think about. You ban the perpetrator immediately from all UHSAA events for at least for a year if not for life. It's not difficult.
    Like.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    You ban the perpetrator immediately from all UHSAA events for at least for a year if not for life. It's not difficult.
    Punish the team/high school as well for not acting on this after multiple incidences.

Looks like Utah and Nevada are targeting November 5th for the return game in Reno. Nothing is final, but it is looking that way. Last year we opened the season on 11/8 vs. Maine in SLC, so this could very well be the first game of the year outside of NWTRU and an exhibition game.

Jayce lands at Marquette and will be slapping the floor with Wojo for his final season.

Jayce lands at Marquette and will be slapping the floor with Wojo for his final season.
    Time to change your avatar.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Time to change your avatar.
    The last two avatars have left their team for another. The DNF curse!

The last two avatars have left their team for another. The DNF curse!
    Lets make use of this. Change it to Sean Miller or Nico Mannion.