Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Offseason thread

Big blow to any chance for a successful season next year. But a reminder that sports are just sports. Best to Donnie and his family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now DNews reporting Daniels will transfer; visiting Rutgers.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Now DNews reporting Daniels will transfer; visiting Rutgers.
    I assume you mean Tillman? The only Daniels would be Donnie, and he just got here.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I assume you mean Tillman? The only Daniels would be Donnie, and he just got here.
    Duh. Yes, Tillman. Jet lagged brain...
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

2019 Offseason thread

Does Tillman’s mom live in New Jersey? (Please forgive my cynicism.)
    Last edited by LA Ute; 06-23-2019 at 08:20 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    One news outlet is claiming Tillman sent them a direct message on social media saying he never said leave of absence.

His statement indeed never used those words, but it certainly indicated his mom was the reason he was leaving.

I’ve seen some speculation athletes are now using things like family issues in press releases to try and get out of the sit out rule.

Obviously none of us know the truth. But something smells fishy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Did you ever believe it was a leave of absence?

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Did you ever believe it was a leave of absence?
    I did. That’s why it makes me so mad — the bald-faced nature of it.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Least surprising news ever: Donnie Tillman is heading to UNLV.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Least surprising news ever: Donnie Tillman is heading to UNLV.
    Leave of absence. Best place just happens to be right there in Vegas. He might as well play hoops while there, right?

--Yeats

Leave of absence. Best place just happens to be right there in Vegas. He might as well play hoops while there, right?
    And hey, it’s just a coincidence they have a new assistant who just left Utah.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Was anyone here thick enough to believe that Tillman would be back?
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I think just about all of use here were rolling our eyes at the entire charade.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    It was pretty clear from the initial release that this was good bye.

Naseem Gaskin is now in the transfer portal. I assume he found himself buried on the depth chart in offseason practices and is probably headed to a JC. 11 scholarships right now.

2019 Offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Naseem Gaskin is now in the transfer portal. I assume he found himself buried on the depth chart in offseason practices and is probably headed to a JC. 11 scholarships right now.
    :SerenityNow:

https://images.app.goo.gl/oQry1C8Pwm3BxMBs7

On the plus side might mean that someone among Rylan, Wenzel, Brenchley, Plummer or several of them, were ahead of Gaskin. And then next year Martinez joins the program.
    Gaskin was much like CJones Jr., really good athlete with a non-fixable shot. And with Timmy at the 3 & the big Finn at the 4 the Utes need a shooter at the 2.

So maybe he is smarter than Pop was & pulled the rip cord early to safe 1/2 year on sitting out.?

For a very positive & detailed review of Both Gach look at the Twitter feed from Grant Aqui NBA. Young self-proclaimed draft geek, who worked with the Suns during last draft. He thinks he is pro material.
    Sorry my limited computer skills will not all ow me to transfer or give you more on site than that. Where is a good Ukrainian bot when you need one?

Basketball program hit by NCAA sanctions for recruiting violations. Because, of course.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...ing-violations

On a separate basketball note, this is going up at center court and I am pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Basketball program hit by NCAA sanctions for recruiting violations. Because, of course.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...ing-violations

Yeah its ok for Sean Miller to pay 180k for Deandre Ayton but our coaches talk to a recruit that is visiting slcc and we get a violation? ridiculous
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Yeah its ok for Sean Miller to pay 180k for Deandre Ayton but our coaches talk to a recruit that is visiting slcc and we get a violation? ridiculous
    Totally worth it. Gave Harlan an easy way out to rescind Connor's HCIW designation, one that should've never been given in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Totally worth it. Gave Harlan an easy way out to rescind Connor's HCIW designation, one that should've never been given in the first place.
    Maybe fire the whole staff for cause. I'm not interested in defending this coaching staff with what abouts.
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 08-06-2019 at 08:09 PM.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

So about two or three years ago (maybe around the time LK got an extension) I heard a rumor that Tommy Connor had been designated LK's successor. I thought "that can't be true. C Hill is not going to commit to making an asst who has no D-1 head coach experience the next head coach, without a snationwide search. And he certainly isn't going to do it when he is set to reitre soon, and tie the hands of his successor." So I forgot about it.

Then, some time after Harlan took over (months ago), I heard a rumor that Harlan had "breached" the agreement with Tommy Connor and wasn't going to honor it. I still thought that rumor made no sense, because there wouldn't be such an agreement in the first place, but that if I were Harlan, that is the first thing I would do.
    Last edited by concerned; 08-06-2019 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    So about two or three years ago (maybe around the time LK got an extension) I heard a rumor that Tommy Connor had been designated LK's successor. I thought "that can't be true. C Hill is not going to commit to making an asst who has no D-1 head coach experience the next head coach, without a snationwide search. And he certainly isn't going to do it when he is set to reitre soon, and tie the hands of his successor." So I forgot about it.

Then, some time after Harlan took over (months ago), I heard a rumor that Harlan had "breached" the agreement with Tommy Connor and wasn't going to honor it. I still thought that rumor made no sense, because there wouldn't be such an agreement in the first place, but that if I were Harlan, that is the first thing I would do.
    Also, "2-3 years ago" isn't much after the time Tommy interviewed for, and didn't get, the Utah State job.

The HCIW only makes sense under two scenarios that I can think of. First, the HCIW is highly sought after by other schools AND the current HC admittedly doesn't have much shelf life. Will Muschamp at Texas some years ago was the first such notable instance -- I believe he voided the agreement by taking the Florida job, which he was well within his right to do. A more recent example closer to home was Mike Hopkins at Syracuse. And maybe he'll be the Orange's first call when Boeheim retires. Maybe taking the UW job didn't burn that bridge. At the same time, nobody in Syracuse begrudged Mike for getting tired of waiting (When I was a teen 30 years ago, everyone had tabbed Bernie Fine as Boeheim's successor).

The second instance is when you have a HC who, after an extended period of loyalty and success, wants to name his successor. Under more normal scenarios, Majerus likely would've been allowed to do this. The most notable instance of this being carried out was when Dean Smith retired at UNC, and Bill Guthridge got the job.

In both instances, you make a big deal about it if you're the school, or at the very least, you're not secretive about it. You appease the fan base and anyone you recruit by doing so. And in the case of Smith, he had earned the right to make that demand (duh ...). In any event, continuity is important. It's also possible that many, many more of these types of agreements are already in place that we don't know about, and I'm overstating the need to publicize such an arrangement.

So why didn't Utah do so with Tommy? Because everyone knew Tommy didn't fit criteria No. 1, and Larry didn't fit criteria No. 2.

Which brings me to my next point. What on earth was Hill's motivation for doing this? He knows the quality of candidate that would be interested in Utah. Why shut that off?

The only thing I'm certain of right now is that if it took a slap on the wrist from the NCAA and some embarrassment over being put "on probation," it was well worth it to ensure TC doesn't remain locked in as an automatic replacement for Larry. He shares in the culpability of player transfers -- I certainly don't see anything in Tommy that leads me to believe he can be the "good cop" to Larry's "bad cop."

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Which brings me to my next point. What on earth was Hill's motivation for doing this? He knows the quality of candidate that would be interested in Utah. Why shut that off?
    You keep talking about this as if it were more than a bad rumor. Did I miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    You keep talking about this as if it were more than a bad rumor. Did I miss something?
    The primary takeaway from the news of Utah hoops being put on probation was that one of our self-imposed penalties was removing HCIW status from Tommy, because it was Tommy that committed the violation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Thanks for this. I knew him. A good man and assistant coach.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Gaskin lands at Montana. Good for him. Not to say anything nice about Larry...why would anyone want to do that? But I would have to imagine that given his ties to Montana, he helped Gaskin get there...especially given how late in the offseason Gaskin decided to leave.

So...

Donnie Tillman - UNLV
    Jayce Johnson - Marquette
    Brandon Morely - UVU (not on scholarship at Utah)
    Charles Jones Jr - Portland St.
    Naseem Gaskin - Montana
    Vante Hendrix - New Mexico (Fresno first, then UNM)
    Christian Popoola - SLCC

There you have it.
    Last edited by DrumNFeather; 08-14-2019 at 11:04 AM.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Gaskin lands at Montana. Good for him. Not to say anything nice about Larry...why would anyone want to do that? But I would have to imagine that given his ties to Montana, he helped Gaskin get there...especially given how late in the offseason Gaskin decided to leave.

So...

Donnie Tillman - UNLV
    Jayce Johnson - Marquette
    Brandon Morely - UVU (not on scholarship at Utah)
    Charles Jones Jr - Portland St.
    Naseem Gaskin - Montana
    Vante Hendrix - New Mexico (Fresno first, then UNM)
    Christian Popoola - SLCC

There you have it.
    Is it too early to start who will be next and where will he go?