Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conference 2019

Conference 2019

I was excited to hear Russell announce something at 9am today. I just want to put these conference rumors to bed.

What is going to change this time ?

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaute View Post
    I was excited to hear Russell announce something at 9am today. I just want to put these conference rumors to bed.

What is going to change this time ?
    Doesn’t it seem like they have been announcing the big changes either in Priesthood or Sunday morning session lately?
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Doesn’t it seem like they have been announcing the big changes either in Priesthood or Sunday morning session lately?
    The announcement of the two hour block came right out of the gate on Saturday morning. I remember listening on my phone and then discussing it with other parents at my son's soccer game.

i enjoyed RMN talks last night and today. He seems to be ratcheting up"hurry and get ready" idea .

enjoyed RMN telling people not to make noise at temple annoucements. Good for the eight places getting temples.

i was still going to avoid coffee and tea but i had hopes for John Stockon like garments. Oh well.

A couple things struck me about conference. First, very few mentions of Joseph Smith. I'll wager the fewest in conference history. Personally, I like the focus on Jesus Christ. Second, I know this has been going on for quite a while, but it seems to me that speakers mostly quote leaders who are still living. I remember a time when that was almost never done. You had to be dead to be quoted.

I find it hard to believe that they will wait until next conference to announce what the new youth program will look like, particularly with the letter they sent out recently regarding the ramping down of the BSA program. Particularly because we were told that this would affect all youth 8 and up and would replace things like Personal Progress, Duty to God, Activity Days along with the scout activities. I expect that info will likely start coming out in the next few months if not immediately. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised, because in our December stake conference the visiting GA told us to expect info in March.

I wonder if they've dialed down the announcements because they were becoming a bit of a distraction from the other talks etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Particularly because we were told that this would affect all youth 8 and up and would replace things like Personal Progress, Duty to God, Activity Days along with the scout activities. I expect that info will likely start coming out in the next few months if not immediately. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised, because in our December stake conference the visiting GA told us to expect info in March.
    I guess it depends on what the new program is. I am expecting something like the current activity days, where local leaders pick appropriate (weekly?) activities. If that accurately describes the heart of the program, they could announce it in November and be fine. How much more time we all need depends on how complex this new thing is.

Are there no conference rumors this time around, or am I just not in the loop? I think this is where I got all my rumors in the past.

I'm hoping that cell phones or at least social media are added to the word of wisdom as banned substances. I know it's popular in the LDS Church to say "technology can be used for good and evil", but there's no good for teenage girls when it comes to social media. It's all bad.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Are there no conference rumors this time around, or am I just not in the loop? I think this is where I got all my rumors in the past.

I'm hoping that cell phones or at least social media are added to the word of wisdom as banned substances. I know it's popular in the LDS Church to say "technology can be used for good and evil", but there's no good for teenage girls when it comes to social media. It's all bad.
    I'm surprised at how many of the kids in my ward have dropped social media completely. They text - thats about it. Mostly the kids who took Pres. Nelson's challenge on that one week fast from social media - they realized how toxic it was...

Not a rumor, but I miss the Saturday Evening Fall Priesthood session. I always looked forward to those meetings, it was a good opportunity to hang out with my old man and refocus myself on big picture stuff. Admittedly, I'm always in favor of less meetings, but that's one I miss.

I like the idea of native speaking missions to 18 months for all. Many different rumors regarding missions have been floated for years, but, that's one (plus "service" missions) I hope is implemented.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Less WiFi, more Nephi.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

“As in our New Testament story, those blessed with sight will recognize that, in spite of everything else this conference tradition may offer us, it will mean little or nothing unless we find Jesus at the center of it all,” Elder Holland said. “To grasp the vision we are seeking, the healing that He promises, the significance we somehow know is here, we must cut through the commotion — as joyful as it is — and fix our attention on Him.”

https://www.thechurchnews.com/leaders-and-ministry/2019-10-05/general-conference-october-2019-elder-jeffrey-holand-recap-162842?fbclid=IwAR2rgt6JNKWO9JEg9DsXwNoNoafOeerICA 8JVcQ0VmAN4112dQQX7vE6-rc

--

Remember that doctrine is taught by all 15 members of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve, counseled President Dalin H. Oaks. Doctrine can also come from prophetic teachings of the president of the Church reaffirmed by other prophets and apostles. For all questions with answers that have not been yet revealed, trust in God and His love for His children. He “will surely do what is best for each of us.”

https://www.thechurchnews.com/leaders-and-ministry/2019-10-05/general-conference-october-2019-lds-mormon-president-oaks-162560?fbclid=IwAR1U5E3tdQQLvl_5kLLznZY9frih4SAORt HbzcVrsAMj061vqG-3QxQvrwk
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

“The gospel is not about doing things perfectly; it is about doing them intentionally.” — Elder Uchtdorf

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Pres. Nelson raising the bar for temple recommends — not a lot, it seems to me, but adding specificity.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Oddly enough, I hadn’t focused on 2020 as the 200th anniversary of the First Vision. My wife and daughter are in Palmyra right now, and visited to the Sacred Grove last night. I’m excited to see what will happen in General Conference next April.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Oddly enough, I hadn’t focused on 2020 as the 200th anniversary of the First Vision. My wife and daughter are in Palmyra right now, and visited to the Sacred Grove last night. I’m excited to see what will happen in General Conference next April.
    We were there a couple of weeks ago. We were the only people there and it was really a nice experience. I'm sure it would be different if there were a lot of people around. I did feel sorry for the missionaries. They can't have much to do this time of year.

Revised temple recommend questions:

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist...mple-recommend

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Revised temple recommend questions:

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist...mple-recommend
    good changes IMO.

looks like they got rid of the "are you affiliated with, or do you have any sympathies for polygamist groups" question?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    good changes IMO.

looks like they got rid of the "are you affiliated with, or do you have any sympathies for polygamist groups" question?
    That question for a while has been, "Do you support, affiliate or associate with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to those taught by the church..." Not specific to polygamists.

They also changed the 'do you attend your sacrament and priesthood meetings...' and also, 'are you honest in your dealings with your fellowmen' - modified to not be gender specific.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    That question for a while has been, "Do you support, affiliate or associate with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to those taught by the church..." Not specific to polygamists.
    Right, they expanded the language so it would include the Crimson Club.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Right, they expanded the language so it would include the Crimson Club.
    And the Democratic Party.

--Yeats

Do you support or promote any teachings, practices, or doctrine contrary to those of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

If a person supports same sex marriage, choice pertaining to pregnancy or medical and/or recreational marijuana, does that disqualify that person from a recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Do you support or promote any teachings, practices, or doctrine contrary to those of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

If a person supports same sex marriage, choice pertaining to pregnancy or medical and/or recreational marijuana, does that disqualify that person from a recommend?
    I guess it comes down to how each individual interprets "support or promote".
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

I remember a number of years ago, when I was up to my neck in weekend activities, my bishop denied a TR under the "attending Sacrament" question -- even though I never missed when in town -- and when he asked the last question (consider yourself worthy) I answered "yes" . About a month later he said he had reconsidered and asked me to interview again, wherein he issued a TR.

My point is to answer the questions honestly, and let those that have stewardship make the call. If one of those issues bugs you, bring it up, state your concern, and they'll make the call.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

A while back on this question (or the old form of it) I asked a similar question to yours and his response was, "I think it is more like are you outside protesting the church on these issues or do you run a website that opposes the church or something." I said, "Just Utefans.net" (he is a Utah fan and was familiar with it and its previous state). He paused for a second and then gave me a recommend anyway. Now THAT is a common judge.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    I remember a number of years ago, when I was up to my neck in weekend activities, my bishop denied a TR under the "attending Sacrament" question -- even though I never missed when in town -- and when he asked the last question (consider yourself worthy) I answered "yes" . About a month later he said he had reconsidered and asked me to interview again, wherein he issued a TR.

My point is to answer the questions honestly, and let those that have stewardship make the call. If one of those issues bugs you, bring it up, state your concern, and they'll make the call.
    This is going to be my approach. I'm pretty out spoken when it comes to supporting my LGBTQ friends and family. We have a brand new bishop who I've had a good relationship with for many years. He's a pretty easy going guy, but his Father-In-Law was our stake president several years ago before getting called to be a mission president and he seemed to be pretty letter of the law, so it will be interesting to see if any of those things were learned.

I'll just add one thing on this TR question discussion - I've always considered the questions to be more an opportunity for self-reflection versus a true screening process (because if you really want you can just lie you head off - and of course people do, and others screen themselves out when they probably shouldn't). Second, why do you want to go to the temple or hold a recommend? Is it social pressure or do you want to go worship?

Certainly you can seek correction, clarification and council, but the questions are for yourself. If you feel like you are getting into a grey area, it might be a good chance to talk to someone. If you can honestly say you feel good about your actions and have presented that to God and feel at peace then you are probably okay. The questions are more common sense than sometimes we give them credit to be. If those questions raise anxiety or anger or other negative feelings, you may not be in good standing with that particular question.

My 2 cents...