Thread: Conference 2019

Hybrid View

A couple things struck me about conference. First, very few mentions of Joseph Smith. I'll wager the fewest in conference history. Personally, I like the focus on Jesus Christ. Second, I know this has been going on for quite a while, but it seems to me that speakers mostly quote leaders who are still living. I remember a time when that was almost never done. You had to be dead to be quoted.

I find it hard to believe that they will wait until next conference to announce what the new youth program will look like, particularly with the letter they sent out recently regarding the ramping down of the BSA program. Particularly because we were told that this would affect all youth 8 and up and would replace things like Personal Progress, Duty to God, Activity Days along with the scout activities. I expect that info will likely start coming out in the next few months if not immediately. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised, because in our December stake conference the visiting GA told us to expect info in March.

I wonder if they've dialed down the announcements because they were becoming a bit of a distraction from the other talks etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Particularly because we were told that this would affect all youth 8 and up and would replace things like Personal Progress, Duty to God, Activity Days along with the scout activities. I expect that info will likely start coming out in the next few months if not immediately. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised, because in our December stake conference the visiting GA told us to expect info in March.
    I guess it depends on what the new program is. I am expecting something like the current activity days, where local leaders pick appropriate (weekly?) activities. If that accurately describes the heart of the program, they could announce it in November and be fine. How much more time we all need depends on how complex this new thing is.

Are there no conference rumors this time around, or am I just not in the loop? I think this is where I got all my rumors in the past.

I'm hoping that cell phones or at least social media are added to the word of wisdom as banned substances. I know it's popular in the LDS Church to say "technology can be used for good and evil", but there's no good for teenage girls when it comes to social media. It's all bad.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Are there no conference rumors this time around, or am I just not in the loop? I think this is where I got all my rumors in the past.

I'm hoping that cell phones or at least social media are added to the word of wisdom as banned substances. I know it's popular in the LDS Church to say "technology can be used for good and evil", but there's no good for teenage girls when it comes to social media. It's all bad.
    I'm surprised at how many of the kids in my ward have dropped social media completely. They text - thats about it. Mostly the kids who took Pres. Nelson's challenge on that one week fast from social media - they realized how toxic it was...

Not a rumor, but I miss the Saturday Evening Fall Priesthood session. I always looked forward to those meetings, it was a good opportunity to hang out with my old man and refocus myself on big picture stuff. Admittedly, I'm always in favor of less meetings, but that's one I miss.

I like the idea of native speaking missions to 18 months for all. Many different rumors regarding missions have been floated for years, but, that's one (plus "service" missions) I hope is implemented.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Less WiFi, more Nephi.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

“As in our New Testament story, those blessed with sight will recognize that, in spite of everything else this conference tradition may offer us, it will mean little or nothing unless we find Jesus at the center of it all,” Elder Holland said. “To grasp the vision we are seeking, the healing that He promises, the significance we somehow know is here, we must cut through the commotion — as joyful as it is — and fix our attention on Him.”

https://www.thechurchnews.com/leaders-and-ministry/2019-10-05/general-conference-october-2019-elder-jeffrey-holand-recap-162842?fbclid=IwAR2rgt6JNKWO9JEg9DsXwNoNoafOeerICA 8JVcQ0VmAN4112dQQX7vE6-rc

--

Remember that doctrine is taught by all 15 members of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve, counseled President Dalin H. Oaks. Doctrine can also come from prophetic teachings of the president of the Church reaffirmed by other prophets and apostles. For all questions with answers that have not been yet revealed, trust in God and His love for His children. He “will surely do what is best for each of us.”

https://www.thechurchnews.com/leaders-and-ministry/2019-10-05/general-conference-october-2019-lds-mormon-president-oaks-162560?fbclid=IwAR1U5E3tdQQLvl_5kLLznZY9frih4SAORt HbzcVrsAMj061vqG-3QxQvrwk
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant