Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 208

Thread: The Fire Larry Krystkowiak Thread

  1. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I think its pretty clear; we have a coach that won't kowtow to kids trying to make his way in the AAU generation. We have seen a number of guys reacher higher highs than most thought they could get under him and guys who simply couldn't/wouldn't deal with it.
    I'd like to see what this means, because, as I've said before, Larry is softer on his players in game than Hopkins or Miller. I can't remember him really laying into anyone all season long. Maybe an occasional glare or something.

  2. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'd like to see what this means, because, as I've said before, Larry is softer on his players in game than Hopkins or Miller. I can't remember him really laying into anyone all season long. Maybe an occasional glare or something.
    Some of it has to be the notion of him "running off players." He had that exchange with Vante Hendrix during the Hawaii game, and Hendrix transferred right after that.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  3. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Some of it has to be the notion of him "running off players." He had that exchange with Vante Hendrix during the Hawaii game, and Hendrix transferred right after that.
    Vante got a T for talking to a ref—-he had to say something to him, & from TV it did not appear that he said very much; maybe it was in the locker room.

    Izzo & Big Rick when he was here are/were tough on their players.
    Last edited by Old Standing ute; 04-10-2019 at 02:55 PM. Reason: typo

  4. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'd like to see what this means, because, as I've said before, Larry is softer on his players in game than Hopkins or Miller. I can't remember him really laying into anyone all season long. Maybe an occasional glare or something.
    Most kids can take hard coaching so long as they know that the coach has their back and is working for their betterment. I heard Whit say on many, many times to those on the staff about the team in general as well as specific players. Coach them hard when we are winning or they are having personal success and love them up when they are not. Maybe Larry just doesn't take the time or have the ability to develop the level of trust required by some players in order to push them the way he thinks he thinks he can.

  5. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Maybe Larry just doesn't take the time or have the ability to develop the level of trust required by some players in order to push them the way he thinks he thinks he can.
    Yeah, maybe. I'm just saying that all the hard stuff must be behind closed doors because we don't really see it during games like we do with other coaches.

  6. #96
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    17,512
    It's been a 2-3 years, but I did attend some practices and Larry was forceful on occasion but not hard on the players. No yelling, no profanity, nothing like that.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  7. #97
    Take Kragthorpe's comments with a grain of salt. He used the terms "is said to be. . ." and "the Trib has learned" when talking about Larry being demanding, and Jayce wanting a bigger offensive role. Just rumors and speculation, nothing about a source. May or may not be true, so don't get the pitchforks out just yet.
    People who wear glasses/contacts are not allowed to celbrqte the rear 2020. Go eat some carrots or get LASIK.

  8. #98
    At the Syracuse news conference here at the NCAA tournament, players & Boeheim were asked repeatedly about a player who had just been suspended for the upcoming game because of team rule violation—Kragthorpe was there & reported the next day the player would not play due to an injury.?

  9. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    At the Syracuse news conference here at the NCAA tournament, players & Boeheim were asked repeatedly about a player who had just been suspended for the upcoming game because of team rule violation—Kragthorpe was there & reported the next day the player would not play due to an injury.?
    Huh, he must have been mixed up? The starting PG for the 'cuse was suspended, and it was is 2nd suspension of the season for rules violations.

  10. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Take Kragthorpe's comments with a grain of salt. He used the terms "is said to be. . ." and "the Trib has learned" when talking about Larry being demanding, and Jayce wanting a bigger offensive role. Just rumors and speculation, nothing about a source. May or may not be true, so don't get the pitchforks out just yet.
    I'm almost 100% sure Kurt got that from jayce's dad.

  11. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Huh, he must have been mixed up? The starting PG for the 'cuse was suspended, and it was is 2nd suspension of the season for rules violations.
    mixed up? He made it up .

    not sure he checks his facts—.or sources.

  12. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I don't. I only know lawyers who post on message boards all day.
    Who are you talking about? You're the one who spends all day here. So what does that make whatever you are?
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  13. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Who are you talking about? You're the one who spends all day here. So what does that make whatever you are?
    Me? I'm a bum.

  14. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Me? I'm a bum.
    I'm a bum too

  15. #105
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,362
    Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Jayce wants a bigger offensive role? I am sure there is nothing the staff would have liked more. Jayce isn't competent on offense. It is not like anyone is holding him back.
    If Jayce was better than his career 49 percent from the line, while not coming off a career season-worst 40 percent, he might have more room to complain about his role in the offense.

  16. #106
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    17,512

    The Fire Larry Krystkowiak Thread

    Kurt Kragthorpe:

    Ute athletic director Mark Harlan is ‘very bullish’ about Larry Krystkowiak’s basketball program, labeling him ‘an elite coach’

    https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-u...etic-director/

    Hmmmm.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 04-14-2019 at 08:30 AM.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  17. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Kurt Kragthorpe:

    Ute athletic director Mark Harlan is ‘very bullish’ about Larry Krystkowiak’s basketball program, labeling him ‘an elite coach’

    https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-u...etic-director/

    Hmmmm.
    I have not listened to the interview but reports are that LK and Harlan and in a defensive posture. I think they both know the natives are restless. I am ready for him to leave, but he probably knows there needs to be clear progress this year. What that means I can't say. Top tier NIT seed probably does
    it, but to me that is too little too late.

  18. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Kurt Kragthorpe:

    Ute athletic director Mark Harlan is ‘very bullish’ about Larry Krystkowiak’s basketball program, labeling him ‘an elite coach’

    https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-u...etic-director/

    Hmmmm.
    This kind of statement from the AD always means that the coach is on the hot seat.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  19. #109
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    17,512
    The big donors (I am not one) are surely expressing unhappiness about LK to Harlan. I have had only a couple of short encounters with Mark, but he is very candid and direct. I’m sure Larry knows exactly what Mark thinks..

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  20. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I have not listened to the interview but reports are that LK and Harlan and in a defensive posture. I think they both know the natives are restless. I am ready for him to leave, but he probably knows there needs to be clear progress this year. What that means I can't say. Top tier NIT seed probably does
    it, but to me that is too little too late.
    What will save Larry's job?

    1) An NCAA tournament bid for sure.
    2) Anything else that has fans very excited. That could be a clear indication of something special or an unprecedented recruiting year or some unanticipated thing. If, by the end of 2019-20, we are not an energized fan base, I think he's gone (and should be).

  21. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    What will save Larry's job?

    1) An NCAA tournament bid for sure.
    2) Anything else that has fans very excited. That could be a clear indication of something special or an unprecedented recruiting year or some unanticipated thing. If, by the end of 2019-20, we are not an energized fan base, I think he's gone (and should be).
    I think you are right.

  22. #112
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    17,512
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I think you are right.
    I do too.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  23. #113
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,378
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    What will save Larry's job?

    1) An NCAA tournament bid for sure.
    2) Anything else that has fans very excited. That could be a clear indication of something special or an unprecedented recruiting year or some unanticipated thing. If, by the end of 2019-20, we are not an energized fan base, I think he's gone (and should be).
    I think the program needs a philosophy change, whether that’s with Krysko or not I don’t really care. In hindsight, one of Larry’s mistakes was that he recruited hard for kids that we had little chance landing. For every success like Poetl, it seem to backfire with Markannen, Mannion, etc. For whatever reason we seem to be still trying to find ourselves in the PAC-12. We're not at a level where we can land 1 and done's and unfortunately, we’re in a conference where half the schools have a sexier hoops profile than we do. That wasn’t the case in the MWC/WAC.

  24. #114
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    What will save Larry's job?

    1) An NCAA tournament bid for sure.
    2) Anything else that has fans very excited. That could be a clear indication of something special or an unprecedented recruiting year or some unanticipated thing. If, by the end of 2019-20, we are not an energized fan base, I think he's gone (and should be).
    What would excite the fans though? A home win vs. Minnesota? Beating BYU again? (That'll do it for some). Winning the Myrtle invitational? Beating Kentucky on a neutral court? All I've heard so far this offseason is how finishing in the top four of the league is immaterial...so we know that won't do it. I'm genuinely curious to know what would make Larry an attractive coach for the majority of the fan base who has already bailed on him/the program until he's gone. Winning doesn't even seem to move the needle there.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  25. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I think the program needs a philosophy change, whether that’s with Krysko or not I don’t really care. In hindsight, one of Larry’s mistakes was that he recruited hard for kids that we had little chance landing. For every success like Poetl, it seem to backfire with Markannen, Mannion, etc. For whatever reason we seem to be still trying to find ourselves in the PAC-12. We're not at a level where we can land 1 and done's and unfortunately, we’re in a conference where half the schools have a sexier hoops profile than we do. That wasn’t the case in the MWC/WAC.
    It's hard to fault LK for pursuing these guys with ties to the program. A lot of these guys got paid and that swayed them to other schools. That's the crappy part of college hoops that is killing it for me. Kids play now for the highest bidder.

  26. #116
    Drum,
    My answer to your question is NCAA Tournament play.

    Scorcho's "the program needs a philosophy change" really hits on it for me. I am one of those unrealistic fans who can't let go of the Majerus years who thinks we should be in the NCAA tournament every year. While I'm realizing tempering that expectation is a reality how low should I go? One out of every four years seems like too low of an expectation.

    I say this because I think it relates to Scorcho's comment on a philosophy change. What is our philosophy? What is our style of play under Larry? We've commented on this a few times now here on the board. Larry talks about togetherness and toughness. I think we've seen good examples of the former in the last two teams but we see no toughness. This team has no calling card. We don't have near the talent coming in year after year to just go where the talent takes you.

    Without a strong philosophy and style of play our NCAA Tournament expectations may need to be lower than one in every four years. I can't believe I'm even writing that.

  27. #117
    Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    Drum,
    My answer to your question is NCAA Tournament play.

    Scorcho's "the program needs a philosophy change" really hits on it for me. I am one of those unrealistic fans who can't let go of the Majerus years who thinks we should be in the NCAA tournament every year. While I'm realizing tempering that expectation is a reality how low should I go? One out of every four years seems like too low of an expectation.

    I say this because I think it relates to Scorcho's comment on a philosophy change. What is our philosophy? What is our style of play under Larry? We've commented on this a few times now here on the board. Larry talks about togetherness and toughness. I think we've seen good examples of the former in the last two teams but we see no toughness. This team has no calling card. We don't have near the talent coming in year after year to just go where the talent takes you.

    Without a strong philosophy and style of play our NCAA Tournament expectations may need to be lower than one in every four years. I can't believe I'm even writing that.

    I think that's fair.

    I feel like there have been a few moments the last few years where the team has pretty clearly not been physical enough to play with some of the big boys (see the NIT final vs. PSU). I think that has stuck with Larry, and as such he's tried to create a more physical team. Problem is, he's trying to do it with a bunch of freshmen. We finally started seeing some of that physicality from Jayce, but he's got a fairly limited offensive skill set. Tillman and Allen have that ability and I think Battin has the potential to be a lunchpail/garbage man type player for us. But, to your point, I'm not sure we've fully committed to that style of play. Perhaps that improves with a guy who can better distribute the ball, but that is putting a lot on the shoulders of Rylan Jones. We are in desperate need of an experienced grad transfer (ala Bibbins) who can help in that area.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  28. #118
    Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    Drum,
    My answer to your question is NCAA Tournament play.

    Scorcho's "the program needs a philosophy change" really hits on it for me. I am one of those unrealistic fans who can't let go of the Majerus years who thinks we should be in the NCAA tournament every year. While I'm realizing tempering that expectation is a reality how low should I go? One out of every four years seems like too low of an expectation.

    I say this because I think it relates to Scorcho's comment on a philosophy change. What is our philosophy? What is our style of play under Larry? We've commented on this a few times now here on the board. Larry talks about togetherness and toughness. I think we've seen good examples of the former in the last two teams but we see no toughness. This team has no calling card. We don't have near the talent coming in year after year to just go where the talent takes you.

    Without a strong philosophy and style of play our NCAA Tournament expectations may need to be lower than one in every four years. I can't believe I'm even writing that.
    Like.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  29. #119
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    17,512
    Donnie Daniels is coming to Utah:

    http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...mpression=true

    This should help, but enough?

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  30. #120
    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    What would excite the fans though? A home win vs. Minnesota? Beating BYU again? (That'll do it for some). Winning the Myrtle invitational? Beating Kentucky on a neutral court? All I've heard so far this offseason is how finishing in the top four of the league is immaterial...so we know that won't do it. I'm genuinely curious to know what would make Larry an attractive coach for the majority of the fan base who has already bailed on him/the program until he's gone. Winning doesn't even seem to move the needle there.
    I'm not sure anything he does will change the way the fans feel. Did it seem like we were winning this year? It didn't seem that way to me. The fans have mostly bailed. Another "winning" season with a 4th place PAC finish and no NCAA will not cut it. However, it is hard for a school like Utah to fire a coach who takes them to the NCAA's.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •