Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Larry Krystkowiak Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    On Jayce: Utah Twitter is the worst. Everything I saw about him there for 2 years was about how much of a failure he is. There's no way our vocal Tweeters are good for Utah athletics. I don't know if this is a universal problem all schools have or if we are particularly bad.
    Twitter is the cesspool of the internet. I guarantee other teams have worse.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    The D. News citing a USA Today reported in Dec of 2018 that the buyout is actually $15,750,000......

Updated as of April 1st, $12,750,000
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

The D. News citing a USA Today reported in Dec of 2018 that the buyout is actually $15,750,000 so the Windbag was wrong.

My apologies.
    The buyout is about $3.15M for every year Larry has on his contract. On Dec. 1, his salary becomes guaranteed for the entire year -- even if he's caught in a sorority with 10 dead hookers on Dec. 2. He's got four years left on his deal, so I suspect to buy him out after next year will be about $9M.

It's not pocket change for a department that's a year or two away from breaking $100M in revenue, but it's something that can be done. Chris Hill stuck it to the program by saddling us with Larry's contract; to his credit, he managed the department's finances pretty good elsewhere to where we can financially stomach a move like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    The buyout is about $3.15M for every year Larry has on his contract. On Dec. 1, his salary becomes guaranteed for the entire year -- even if he's caught in a sorority with 10 dead hookers on Dec. 2. He's got four years left on his deal, so I suspect to buy him out after next year will be about $9M.

It's not pocket change for a department that's a year or two away from breaking $100M in revenue, but it's something that can be done. Chris Hill stuck it to the program by saddling us with Larry's contract; to his credit, he managed the department's finances pretty good elsewhere to where we can financially stomach a move like this.
    While this appears to be a significant gaffe, it is pretty hard to be critical of Chris Hill's financial management of the department. We could be WAYYYYYYYY worse off, and if we really need to we could absorb this. I would guess that the payout like that is also probably not a single payout, but done over time as well, making it even more manageable.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    See you’re not a pasty for the coach. You’re capable of criticizing him. The ones I listed are 100% cheerleaders all the time. Fine. However, the reason I call it out is when their excuses turn to trashing the University of Utah, like the Boylen shills’ refrain that he couldn’t win because the practice facility was inadequate. Here it’s now become that Utah doesn’t really have a distinguished tradition; Majerus was a fluke, and we should be satisfied with this program. Or, we’re stuck with him because of his buyout, as a last resort.
    Majerus was a fluke. Majerus made the tournament 11 times in 15 years (73%)

The other Utah coaches made the tournament 18 times in 60 years (30%), this perceived distinguished Utah basketball tradition looks pretty thin outside of a couple of good years by Gardner and Pimm (incidentally Gardner made the NCAA tourney on average once every 4 years, which is the exactly same rate as Larry K).

If SeattleUte were a BYU fan, he'd be reveling in 1984 as if it were last week.
    Last edited by Scorcho; 04-09-2019 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    As for the transfer portal and its impact on college football and basketball, at some point there is a line where college athletics as we know them turns into the equivalent of the NBA G League and the most recent football league that just failed. Where that line is, I don't know. It is probably different for each of us. It has gotten there for me with college basketball nationally with the scandals and with the Utes with the lack of a cohesive program that I can get behind. I did not watch 1 NCAA tournament game for the first time ever. I think those pushing for more money, more freedom of movement, etc for college athletes, while good intentioned, may just end up eliminating college sports as we know them and with that the educational opportunities that come with them. I would hate to see that happen to accommodate the desires of the 1% who see the college athletic experience as just a necessary step to the pros.
    This is my fear as well, but this point of view is routinely mocked by college sports media members.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Majerus was a fluke. Majerus made the tournament 11 times in 15 years (73%)

The other Utah coaches made the tournament 18 times in 60 years (30%), this perceived distinguished Utah basketball tradition looks pretty thin outside of a couple of good years by Gardner and Pimm (incidentally Gardner made the NCAA tourney on average once every 4 years, which is the exactly same rate as Larry K).

If SeattleUte were a BYU fan, he'd be reveling in 1984 as if it were last week.
    No doubt Majerus was the greatest of the Ute coaches. But 73% compared to 30% doesn’t make him a fluke. This is especially true when you consider quality of those NCAA appearances. (Our most embarrassing NCAA appearance was Mark Few making faux K look like a knuckle dragger in 2016).

In the years the prior to Majerus Utah’s coaches had a national championship, three Final Fours, four elite 8s, and ten Sweet 16s in what was actually a span of 47 not 60 years. Jerry Pimm had four Sweet 16s in eight years, when the tournament was 32-48 teams and post Jim Crow.

So you compare Majerus’s achievement in 1998–beating no. 1 ranked North Carolina (with Anton Jamieson and Vince Carter) and crushing defending nationa champion Arizona (with everyone back) to BYU’s 1984 faux national championship after feasting on the WAC and beating an unbanked Michigan team?

Like I said, you’re not a Ute fan. You’re a Larry Krystkowiak coaching staff groupie.

To give the Utah basketball tradition deniers here (aka coaching staff groupies) some perspective, before this season Auburn had zero Final Fours, one elite 8, and four Sweet 16s; Texas Tech had zero Final Fours, one Elite 8 (in 2018 under “fluke” Chris Beard), and six Sweet 16s (but three of them under “flukes” Bobby Knight and Chris Beard); Virginia had two Final Fours (1981 and 1984, ancient history), and seven Elite 8s; Michigan State had two national championships, one runner-up, and nine Final Fours, and thirteen Elite 8s—but one of two national championship, the runner-up, seven of nine the Final Fours, and nine of thirteen Elite 8s occurred under the “fluke” Tom Izzo.
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 04-09-2019 at 02:12 PM.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

In all fairness to Scorchio, he may not be a groupie. He may be Larry Krystkowiak or Tommy Connor. Some of us let down the veil and some don’t.

To give the Utah basketball tradition deniers here (aka coaching staff groupies) some perspective, before this season Auburn had zero Final Fours, one elite 8, and four Sweet 16s; Texas Tech had zero Final Fours, one Elite 8 (in 2018 under “fluke” Chris Beard), and six Sweet 16s (but three of them under “flukes” Bobby Knight and Chris Beard); Virginia had two Final Fours (1981 and 1984, ancient history), and seven Elite 8s; Michigan State had two national championships, one runner-up, and nine Final Fours, and thirteen Elite 8s—but one of two national championship, the runner-up, seven of nine the Final Fours, and nine of thirteen Elite 8s occurred under the “fluke” Tom Izzo.
    keep polishing that 1944 championship SeattleUte.

There was a time when Utah was a top 25 nationally ranked regarding college hoops programs, guess who keeps sliding down that list while schools with more recent accomplishments (Gonzaga, Oregon, Florida) leap frog them. Utah has fallen from that list because they had a 15 year gift from the gods. Without Majerus, we are UNLV without Tark. I wish it weren't true, but its reality.

If there is some magical coach elixir candidate that could do better than Krysko, hire him now. I'm not in bed with Larry, I'd love to see us do better. But were just not the kind of program that can attract a big name hire. Hell, we couldn't even lure Dave Rose away.
    Last edited by Scorcho; 04-09-2019 at 02:20 PM.

keep polishing that 1944 championship SeattleUte.

There was a time when Utah was a top 25 nationally ranked regarding college hoops programs, guess who keeps sliding down that list while schools with more recent accomplishments (Gonzaga, Oregon, Florida) leap frog them. Utah has fallen from that list because they had a 15 year gift from the gods. Without Majerus, we are UNLV without Tark. I wish it weren't true, but its reality.

If there is some magical coach elixir candidate that could do better than Krysko, hire him now. I'm not in bed with Larry, I'd love to see us do better. But were just not the kind of program that can attract a big name hire. Hell, we couldn't even lure Dave Rose away.
    Did Larry tell you to say that? He did didn't he? Busted!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Coach, I didn’t only cite the 1944 Championship, and the numbers don’t lie, but you don’t address them as I did.

You reveal your true colors by citing three schools as legit, two of whom had no tradition whatsoever before their current coaches, and one, Florida, has had none before or since Billy Donovan.

Unlike some here, I have not once said that Krystkowiak should be fired, only that he’s jut not getting the job done.
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 04-09-2019 at 02:57 PM.

University of Virginia coach's first words after winning school's first championship: 'I'm humbled, Lord'

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/uva-c...m-humbled-lord

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    Uhh yeah, Matt Mooney transferred from Air Force to South Dakota to Texas Tech. Owens started at Tenn, went to St Johns and ended up at Texas Tech. Braxton Key started at Bama and went to Virginia. So much for that line of thinking.
    [Chortle]

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    University of Virginia coach's first words after winning school's first championship: 'I'm humbled, Lord'

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/uva-c...m-humbled-lord
    That's a great outlook that I endorse. Now that you’ve found it, maybe you’ll stop trying to undermine our football coach.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Looks like Demarlo Slocum may be on his way to UNLV.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    A staff shake up...just like we all asked for!

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Also - If the Utes end up looking in state for a new assistant coach, the top two assistants at UVU, Cody Fueger and Chris Burgess both have ties to the Majerus-era Ute program.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Gotta love how the offseason went from little drama to a ton in less than 24 hours.

Coach, I didn’t only cite the 1944 Championship, and the numbers don’t lie, but you don’t address them as I did.

You reveal your true colors by citing three schools as legit, two of whom had no tradition whatsoever before their current coaches, and one, Florida, has had none before or since Billy Donovan.

Unlike some here, I have not once said that Krystkowiak should be fired, only that he’s jut not getting the job done.
    1. Counselor, favor us a tale about Walt Misaka or Arnie Ferrin. If you have to go back 40-50 years to laud your basketball accomplishments, isn’t that a problem? USF had a great run back in the 50's. I suspect 9 out of 10 people couldn't tell you if USF still plays D1 hoops.

2. I don’t foresee Gonzaga or Florida being able to sustain their success. Like Utah, they have had a once in a generation type coach in Few and Donovan. Oregon might be able to (post Altman) because of their unique relationship with Nike.

Clearly there are basketball programs that are bigger than their coach and have sustained success over several coaching tenures like Kansas, North Carolina, UCLA, UK, Villanova, and there are programs that benefited from having a hall of fame coach at the helm for an extended period of time that won't likely see that level of success again. These are programs like Georgetown, UCONN, and Florida (Utah falls into this category). And there are programs that are in a wait and see position like Duke, Gonzaga.

3. Utah fans are having an identity crisis about where this program should be relevant to its new conference alignment. We want to think we're at Arizona or Oregon's level (and at one time we were better than both of those programs). In realty were more like USC or Stanford and schools like UW and ASU are nipping at our tail.

Gotta love how the offseason went from little drama to a ton in less than 24 hours.
    Yeah, I think I got all my panic out. Now, like AJ pointed out, we all just wait to see how things go next season. NCAA tourney or bust, which is where we were before the drama anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Yeah, I think I got all my panic out. Now, like AJ pointed out, we all just wait to see how things go next season. NCAA tourney or bust, which is where we were before the drama anyway.
    Fortunately, LAUte won’t be sticking his nose in this since the new AD has no time for him.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Utah fans are having an identity crisis about where this program should be relevant to its new conference alignment. We want to think we're at Arizona or Oregon's level (and at one time we were better than both of those programs). In realty were more like USC or Stanford and schools like UW and ASU are nipping at our tail.
    I don't think that is true at all. I don't know anyone who believes we are at the Arizona or Oregon level or the UCLA level, for that matter. I don't even think we are at the level of UW or ASU, but those are the schools, along with Stanford, we will battle with to stay above No. 5 in the conference. Fans lose hope when they don't see a program trending in a positive direction. This is our 3rd season since Poetl. Kuzma's final season was a rebuild with a first round loss in NIT. The next season we got to the NIT Finals, which was fun, but it was a rebuild and without Bibbins we would have been in real trouble. This was a rebuild and next year will again be a rebuild. This program is treading water at best. I really question anyone who sees the program differently.

Fortunately, LAUte won’t be sticking his nose in this since the new AD has no time for him.
    Au contraire, mon frere. Soon I will have a photo of Mark Harlan on my living room fireplace mantle, right next to my Chris Hill shrine. When will you ever stop underestimating my sycophancy? You know I have a hit list of coaches I want fired and I won't stop until I am done. (I am thinking the U. should drop lacrosse, BTW. It's been a waste of resources and the team loses all the time. I'll go to work on that soon.)
    Last edited by LA Ute; 04-09-2019 at 05:35 PM.

--Yeats

He was mainly involved in recruiting, they will need someone with connections in AAU circuit.

Names??

He was mainly involved in recruiting, they will need someone with connections in AAU circuit.

Names??
    It is being suggested that if Slocum leaves we are likely to see at least 1 more transfer of a player with ties to Las Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Au contraire, mon frere. Soon I will have a photo of Mark Harlan on my living room fireplace mantle, right next to my Chris Hill shrine. When will you ever stop underestimating my sycophancy? You know I have a hit list of coaches I want fired and I won't stop until I am done. (I am thinking the U. should drop lacrosse, BTW. It's been a waste of resources and the team loses all the time. I'll go to work on that soon.)
    Funny stuff, LAUte. Well done.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

It is being suggested that if Slocum leaves we are likely to see at least 1 more transfer of a player with ties to Las Vegas.
    Markham is reporting that Slocum is the glue guy and is the guy that mediates between larry and the players. If he leaves, I could see more transfers. I mean, at this point, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Wrong guy leaving. We don't ned the guy who is different in every way from the other 3 to leave. We needed one of the others to leave and be replaced by someone who can relate better to the players.

Wrong guy leaving. We don't ned the guy who is different in every way from the other 3 to leave. We needed one of the others to leave and be replaced by someone who can relate better to the players.
    I know...I was being sarcastic. From all accounts this would be a big blow.