Thread: The Mark Harlan thread

The Mark Harlan thread

A couple of people suggested that we have a thread on Mark Harlan. Here it is. He seems like a good leader, and he's very focused on fundraising. Good. The U needs that.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I hope he is focused on fund raising. I think that was one area where Chris Hill was lacking. While I did not know Hill well, I did have a some direct and indirect interactions with him. I probably sent him more e-mails than I would like to admit. I cannot recall one instance in which he did not reply. While some replies were very general, others addressed some of the things I addressed. He even phoned me a couple of times to discuss what I had said.

I have already sent Harlan a few e-mails. He has yet to provide even a cursory reply.

Is he possibly focused on fundraising to pay a buyout? Just curious.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Is he possibly focused on fundraising to pay a buyout? Just curious.
    He wants to pay for the stadium expansion and to provide subsidies for loyal Utah message board members. Mostly for the stadium.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    He wants to pay for the stadium expansion and to provide subsidies for loyal Utah message board members. Mostly for the stadium.

I get paid to toe the party line here. You don't?

He does a weekly segment with Bill Riley. Unfortunately, the depth of the questions often extends to "What's for lunch?"
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I hope he is focused on fund raising. I think that was one area where Chris Hill was lacking. While I did not know Hill well, I did have a some direct and indirect interactions with him. I probably sent him more e-mails than I would like to admit. I cannot recall one instance in which he did not reply. While some replies were very general, others addressed some of the things I addressed. He even phoned me a couple of times to discuss what I had said.

I have already sent Harlan a few e-mails. He has yet to provide even a cursory reply.
    Interesting, given Harlan is a million times more engaged with the fanbase on Twitter than Hill ever was.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Interesting, given Harlan is a million times more engaged with the fanbase on Twitter than Hill ever was.
    Chris was very suspicious and leery about anything internet-related. That’s just who he is. I’m glad Harlan is not.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    He tweets a fair amount, but I haven't seen him engage with fans other than sending out tweets congratulating teams and individuals.

‘Until you live it ... it’s not real.’ Utah AD Mark Harlan looks back on his first year with the Utes.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-u...u-live-it-its/

--Yeats

Harlan has been appointed to the football oversight committee as the Pac-12 representative until 2023.

https://utahutes.com/news/2019/7/22/general-harlan-appointed-to-ncaa-division-i-football-oversight-committee.aspx?path=general

Apparently athletics, which of course means Harlan in the end, has decided the U no longer needs a mental performance coach. So Nicole Dietling is leaving.

She succeeded the legendary Keith Henschen. Every athlete and coach I’ve known at the U has raved about the access and assistance these two brought to the U. Seems like a very poor decision from administration (who also has added more admin recently)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    (who also has added more admin recently)
    I think university admin exists solely to add more admin.

By the way, I'm guessing you all saw LSU's ridiculous new facilities. Once again, when I'm in charge of the NCAA, there will be a salary cap for coaches and ADs, and 90% of athletic department revenue will need to go outside the athletic department. I'm convinced that instead of paying the players more, we should be paying everyone else less. The alternative is a gradual creep towards a professional minor league.

Also, when I'm president, I will find out what percentage of federal funds go to research grants at private universities, and I will cut that in half and send the money to public universities. The top researchers will follow the money. I will also cut federal aid to all universities for which more than x% of the salaries go to employees other than faculty. No university should need 40 people in the residence life office or 25 people in the title IX office.

What happened recently in Alaska is interesting. Most universities are absolutely bloated with unnecessary departments/faculty/admin. The Alaska funding reduction is crazy, but, man, something has to be done.

Finally, why does tenure for the arts and humanities depend on publications? There's no important research going on there. Give tenure to the best teachers. English, history, etc are places where teaching is vital and research is often unimportant. Plus, research in those fields requires very little funding anyway.

Apparently athletics, which of course means Harlan in the end, has decided the U no longer needs a mental performance coach. So Nicole Dietling is leaving.

She succeeded the legendary Keith Henschen. Every athlete and coach I’ve known at the U has raved about the access and assistance these two brought to the U. Seems like a very poor decision from administration (who also has added more admin recently)
    This is just a guess because I know nothing about this situation, but I would not be surprised to see that same job responsibility, perhaps with a different title, given to another similarly qualified person sometime in the next year.

--Yeats

This is just a guess because I know nothing about this situation, but I would not be surprised to see that same job responsibility, perhaps with a different title, given to another similarly qualified person sometime in the next year.
    All well and good, but again the U is losing the perception and PR battle.

Case in point (and he’s certainly not the only athlete weighing in, far from it)

So they’ve hired a new guy, who has little experience, but a lot of education....he’s worked 1 year at BYU and one at USU.

He may be good, but I still believe the U botched the transition

So they’ve hired a new guy, who has little experience, but a lot of education....he’s worked 1 year at BYU and one at USU.

He may be good, but I still believe the U botched the transition

There’s some more (one-sides) information in this thread. Sounds like Utah went for the BOGO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    There’s some more (one-sides) information in this thread. Sounds like Utah went for the BOGO.

Goodness, I'm beginning to see why Dr Nicole was fired. So whiny.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Goodness, I'm beginning to see why Dr Nicole was fired. So whiny.
    Going on Twitter to trash your successor is not a good luck.

--Yeats

The Mark Harlan thread

Nor is it a good look. Consider that bridge, burned. Seems like she should talk to someone to help her get her head right. :dunno:

Last edited by Dwight Schr-Ute; 07-26-2019 at 03:05 PM.

Nor is it a good look.
    Stop making fun of my Great Basin accent.

--Yeats

No.

But I also think she has some valid points.

And you must admit, PR at the U has been....questionable in the last year.

No.

But I also think she has some valid points.

And you must admit, PR at the U has been....questionable in the last year.

I don’t think anyone would argue against this point.

Seems like she should talk to someone to help her get her head right. :dunno:
    Maybe a mental health professional.

This twitter thread has another perspective on this transition:

Link since I can't get it to embed for some reason: https://twitter.com/GwilliUte/status...016862208?s=20
    Last edited by U-Ute; 08-16-2019 at 08:51 AM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.