Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Random chat thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    So in news of the weird, our bird was found and apparently the faith of our children who were praying for his return was stronger than the faith of my wife and me, as we were praying he wouldn't return.

Other than here we had told only two other couple friends of ours he was missing. This morning we were meeting up with one of them to go for a bike ride and when they rolled up to our house she said, "I think we found your missing bird." We thought they were joking because we had all been joking about it our last ride on Thursday. So skeptically we rode to their house about 3/4 a mile away half expecting to see a stuffed duck.

But there he was, sitting in the gutter trying to forage for some food.

I picked him up in one hand and rode him home steering with the other.

My daughter most concerned, who papered the neighborhood phone poles and walls with flyers hasn't woken yet, she'll be delighted. My 4yo ran outside to see him and said, "I wonder if he found a lady friend and they're gonna get married and have babies?" Lady friend? I wonder where she picked that up.

So it's a Pioneer Day miracle.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Attachment 1510

A sample flyer my two daughters crates. We'll forgive them for covering up the number. Maybe he would have been found sooner if that hadn't happened. I'll have to remind them of that.
    I feel bad for your footless bird.

Is this guy a tech billionaire or a MLM billionaire?

https://www.deeperblue.com/homeowner...a-diving-pool/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

The latest Tapatalk update us surprisingly excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--Yeats

One of my sons plans to take the GRE. He is looking for the best GRE preparation course. I know we have a number of former grad students here. What do you guys recommend?

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    LA, I took it when I was a senior, so I didn't need a prep course. It was all still fresh. Sorry I can't help there.

What field is your son in? The math section is not high level stuff, but if he hasn't done much math for a while, he will need to review. I would recommend that he start with a practice test, online or at the library. If the math is tricky, he can start reviewing concepts like algebra and geometry on the Kahn academy. From there, he will just need practice GRE problems to get used to the way things are worded.

I had the feeling during my application process that the GRE score didn't matter too much as long as it was not a red flag. I believe the grades and recommendations were more important.

If your son is coming back to school after working, his maturity and experience will be a plus, and I would guess/hope they will be more understanding of GRE scores.
    He is planning on a M.S. in Information Systems. It's called an MSIS: http://msis.business.utah.edu/
    Last edited by LA Ute; 08-14-2015 at 11:06 AM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    He is planning on a M.S. in Information Systems. It's called an MSIS: http://msis.business.utah.edu/
    At minimum he'll be in high demand when he graduates.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

One of my sons plans to take the GRE. He is looking for the best GRE preparation course. I know we have a number of former grad students here. What do you guys recommend?

I bought a book at the start of the summer and took a practice test every day in one of the sections. I then took the U course for a couple hundred bucks. on Saturdays at the computer lab you could go take practice tests. I Did that 4 times. I got good enough scores to get into my top pick and get a scholarship.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Thanks for the advice, guys. Very helpful.

--Yeats

This reminds me that my own personal trials are pretty small compared to the ones others have to deal with.

http://www.burbankleader.com/news/tn...,4641457.story

--Yeats

Amazing offer from my Facebook feed, for anyone interested. Act Now!

__________________________________________________ ___________________

FREE
    Free Dustin Diamond autograph. Yup it says my name, Angie, but if you're a fan you can have it. Seen while at Wiseguys comedy club over ten years ago. Free! In syarcuse. Oos.

screech.jpg

Just a September morning shot of the Marriott Library Plaza from the northeast.

--Yeats

That's a great shot!

Those who have loved ones who don't really appreciate sports will understand this:

sports.jpg

--Yeats

We've waited 30 years for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Emmett Brown
    If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit.
    bttf_2015.jpg

It's Oct. 21, 2015. Keep an eye out for Marty McFly.

--Yeats

We watched Back To The Future II with the family tonight. I forgot what a terrible show it was.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Our 4th visit to a home game this season. The sight of so many women in one place wearing knee length shorts still freaks me out a bit.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Just curious. Where are you seeing this? At the game? Around the University? Or in the suburban parts of Salt Lake? To me, Salt Lake looks a lot different than the city I left 30+ years ago. But when I am there I am usually in the downtown/avenues area, so I'm wondering.

--Yeats

In suburbia and outlying areas like utah and cache county. Salt lake proper/ park city Is nothing like this. Like u said its done a 180 the last 30 years and has evolved into an interesting and enjoyable city. I visit my MIL in Provo and its just a weird place. Can't help it. Probably my strong bias to b in the Utes crowd.

My parent live near parleys. There's 18 homes on our street. Growing up there were 15 LDS and 3 that were not. Now it is just the opposite. 3 LDS and 15 are not. May have something to do with the proximity of St Ambrose? I don't know.

I love accents.

--Yeats

Speaking of the seattle bubble, I will be there this week. Any food (breakfast, lunch, dinner) recommendations for downtown? Coming from Denver, I would love some fresh seafood.
    Seattle Ute is the king of restaurant recommendations but i will try to add a few recs.

For seafood it really depends what you want. For quick and passable fast food (fish and chips and chowdah), Ivars is pretty good and cheap ($15-ish if you splurge). Right next to the ferry terminal, up the road a few blocks from CLink and Safeco Field.

For fast-ish sit-down dining the Fisherman's Restaurant is also decent. A bit more than Ivars.

I happen to like Chinook's on Lake Union at the Fisherman's Terminal. If you have a car it is easy to get there and parking is ample. I particularly like this place because my step-grandmother's son was a fishing boat captain (think Deadliest Catch) and was based here, and she gets nostalgic for him when we go there.

But if you want a world-class dining experience with better seafood than you can possibly imagine, you want Aqua. It is the quintessential Seattle seafood experience, located at the end of a pier overlooking the Sound. My wife and i went for our anniversary, spent well over $350, and still felt it was a bargain.
    elgaucho.com/dine/aqua

Lark is a newer restaurant with a very adventurous menu. It is a fun place. Very interesting seafood, as well as hoity toity Turf (wagyu beef, venison, duck dishes, etc).
    larkseattle.com

El Gaucho is always amazing. Can't go wrong there. It is perhaps one of the greatest steakhouses in America. I put it on par with Smith and Wollensky in NYC, Morton's in Chicago, and Del Frisco in Boston. It is THAT good.
    elgaucho.com/dine/seattle

Metropolitan Grill is also very good food. Very good steak and seafood.
    themetropolitangrill.com

Enjoy! Let us know where you go.

So, there was a mountain lion in our backyard yesterday. It's been hanging out in the neighborhood for a week or so. I'm scared to let my kids play outside.
    I was perusing ksl.com the other day and noticed that the house next to mine was in a picture on a story. It was a bit shocking at first. Luckily, it was due to a moose wandering the area. The police set up a perimeter until it went back up into the mountains.

But yeah, mountain lion, very scary.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 01-15-2016 at 01:23 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

So, there was a mountain lion in our backyard yesterday. It's been hanging out in the neighborhood for a week or so. I'm scared to let my kids play outside.
    Please. As the Utes have proven cougars are merely loud house cats.

I'm looking for a basement apartment or something similar that would be suitable for a single male tenant. Anywhere in SLC would do, Sugarhouse area would be perfect. PM me if you know of anything.

--Yeats

I'm looking for a basement apartment or something similar that would be suitable for a single male tenant. Anywhere in SLC would do, Sugarhouse area would be perfect. PM me if you know of anything.
    Your wife finally give you the boot?
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Your wife finally give you the boot?
    No, I just need a place to keep my stamp collection.

Actually, it's for one of my sons.

--Yeats

This guy: Jack Churchill

Lieutenant-Colonel John Malcolm Thorpe Fleming "Jack" Churchill, DSO & Bar, MC & Bar (16 September 1906 – 8 March 1996) was a British Army officer who fought throughout the Second World War armed with a longbow, bagpipes, and a basket-hilted Scottish broadsword.
    That is bad ass.