Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Random chat thread

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Samurai sword-wielding Mormon bishop comes to aid of woman being attacked

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/23...eing-attacked/
    This was covered two weeks ago by Deseret News. Looks like the story has grown some legs.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...-attacker.html
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

Foster

David Foster just went through. He's so much taller than everyone else it's comical.
    1129395.jpg
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

Sausan Shakerin and JWIV walked yesterday in my son's group too.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Our Internet connection was down because squirrels had eaten through the cables outside. Honest. That's what the Time Warner guy said. I had no idea of the little critters' destructive powers. Anyway, it's working again.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Get married, you dummies!

Picture coming home every night to your best friend, your greatest fan, and your number one supporter. She (or he) makes each good day better, and each bad day good again. Every day, you get to live what is essentially a 24/7 sleepover party with the greatest friend you’ve ever had.… Now add sex and sandwiches.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/...#ixzz2ST3a706K

--Yeats

A lot of people complained about this shirt when it came out after we beat BYU last year. They said it was silly to make a shirt when it wasn't much of an accomplishment.

However, I think it really just needs context:

(not sure if this is actually intentional)

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    It is a little-known fact that the 116 pages of the manuscript that were lost by Martin Harris described the boats used by Nephi and his family as having a staircase extending up from the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    It is a little-known fact that the 116 pages of the manuscript that were lost by Martin Harris described the boats used by Nephi and his family as having a staircase extending up from the back.
    Watch out for hop ons.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Doesn't the 116 also have the passage where Laman performs a magic show for the family while Lemuel hides in the background?

Doesn't the 116 also have the passage where Laman performs a magic show for the family while Lemuel hides in the background?
    It's also where the whole horses thing is explained.

--Yeats

Yes, that's right, and then Laman blows up the boat with Zoram's mistress on board.

For those with Irish ancestry (or who simply are interested) it looks like the cause of the Irish Potato Famine has been identified:

http://m.phys.org/news/2013-05-whodu...to-famine.html

--Yeats

For those with Irish ancestry (or who simply are interested) it looks like the cause of the Irish Potato Famine has been identified:

http://m.phys.org/news/2013-05-whodu...to-famine.html
    So the lesson that should be learned is to keep weeds out of your garden.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Waiting in the passport line at the post office, and browsing the Web. I decide to check out the DesNews sports page. Of the top 13 stories, 3 of the top 4 are about BYU. There are no Utah stories, although there's a short squib about Alex Smith and the Chiefs at #8. I've come to expect this but it is irritating.

--Yeats

Waiting in the passport line at the post office, and browsing the Web. I decide to check out the DesNews sports page. Of the top 13 stories, 3 of the top 4 are about BYU. There are no Utah stories, although there's a short squib about Alex Smith and the Chiefs at #8. I've come to expect this but it is irritating.
    They're no longer a media outlet, they're an LDS Blogger network

Random chat thread

And while I'm ranting, let me just say I hate it when people - especially adults - ride their bicycles on the sidewalk. I almost hit a woman today as I was leaving a parking lot. I look both ways for fast-moving vehicles on the streets, not on the sidewalk!
    Last edited by LA Ute; 06-04-2013 at 03:17 PM.

--Yeats

I always got a kick out of the Des News. They have a guy who is paid for no other reason than to pump up BYU (Dick Harmon), they employ another guy to "cover" state recruiting who for years was an internet troll on cougarboard and utefans (Gurney). I like Brad Rock though. But without a doubt, it caters to the boys in blue. Not just bias, but caters. I like Dirk Facer, but he either doesn't put much out, or they dont ask much from him.

And have you ever read the comment section? They constantly thump their chest about how their comment board is a place of discussion and thoughtfulness. If there is a bigger cesspool on earth, id love to know where it is.

Absolutely love the WCWS. It's like watching pinball played on a field. No bobbles, stumbles or mistakes go unpunished.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I like Dirk Facer, but he either doesn't put much out, or they dont ask much from him.
    It's what they ask of him. This is the same paper who hires the opposition's students to write their game articles for Ute road games.

Unfortunately the Tribune seems to not recognize, or care, that they have the ability to fill a gap that's there.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    It's what they ask of him. This is the same paper who hires the opposition's students to write their game articles for Ute road games.

Unfortunately the Tribune seems to not recognize, or care, that they have the ability to fill a gap that's there.
    I think Tony was fantastic this year for the trib. And I think he is going to "supplement" Lya this coming fall in football. I am looking forward to their coverage.

I think Tony was fantastic this year for the trib. And I think he is going to "supplement" Lya this coming fall in football. I am looking forward to their coverage.
    While I like his work, the volume the Trib prints is quite low. We're getting very little coverage this off season, and it's been very generic.

It could be a lot better, and that's not a reflection of Tony, it's the powers that be behind the scenes

I always have thought that Mike Sorenson was a very good reporter. I also knew him in high school and college, so I am biased. He has been reduced to stringer status, however. That's an example of what the newspaper has decided to do. My guess is they want to become the worldwide online newspaper for members of the LDS church.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    While I like his work, the volume the Trib prints is quite low. We're getting very little coverage this off season, and it's been very generic.

It could be a lot better, and that's not a reflection of Tony, it's the powers that be behind the scenes
    I like Tony's work a lot. Still, I get most of my Utah news from the ESPN PAC-12 blog and from Utezone.

--Yeats

And have you ever read the comment section? They constantly thump their chest about how their comment board is a place of discussion and thoughtfulness. If there is a bigger cesspool on earth, id love to know where it is.
    It takes a big man to admit to such intellectual shortcomings. Me, I freely admit to being a fan of Hair Bands, but to each their own, I suppose.

Speaking of media, it seems the Tribune in its push to quickly put articles online has given up on proof reading and quality control.

Today's example, a story about a fatal traffic accident which says the "Victim in I-15 crash near Lambs Canyon identified"

Anyone who's somewhat familiar with Utah should know Lambs Canyon is 5 miles up Parleys Canyon on I-80. It's listed as I-15 in the body of the article as well.

I wish the media would worry less about being first and more about being correct

I think this is true of the comment section for every newspaper. For some reason the people drawn to participate in the comment section of newspapers seem to be complete idiots.

In Utah papers (both of them) of course it's worse because it trends towards the Mormon / Non divide, with dumbass extremist from both sides dominating the comments.

Random chat thread

It was a gorgeous day in SLC today. Not a cloud in the sky, about 72 degrees.

--Yeats

I'll just leave this right here.

After getting a shock to the brain, subjects in a recent study rated the people around them as more attractive.

Researchers from the California Institute of Technology recently studied that effect by giving 99 study participants 15 minutes of transcranial direct current stimulation, or TDCS, an electrode-based, non-invasive way of juicing the brain. (A company is also marketing TDCS as a very sketchy means of getting better at video games.) The participants got an fMRI scan before and after the brain shock, and were shown faces while in the fMRI machine. After the zapping, the participants rated the faces as more attractive....

--Yeats

A terrific job opportunity for the right person!

The J. Reuben Clark Law School at Brigham Young University is seeking applicants for Assistant Dean of Admissions and Admissions Coordinator, both commencing in the Fall 2013 Semester. Descriptions of each position appear below.

Assistant Dean of Admissions (Posting # 1300302SA)

Under the direction of the Dean of the law school, the Assistant Dean of Admissions serves as the law school’s chief admissions officer and has primary responsibility for developing and implementing the law school’s effort to attract, recruit and yield a highly-qualified and diverse student body for its JD and Master of Law Programs. The Assistant Dean also has responsibility to manage financial aid for law students including the award of scholarships from law school and university endowments, managing and approving access to the law school’s private loan fund and working collaboratively with the university’s Office of Financial Aid on federal loan disbursements to law students. The Assistant Dean serves as a member of the Dean’s Council, which advises the dean on significant administrative and policy issues at the law school.

Admissions Coordinator (Posting # 1300301SA)

The Coordinator of Admissions is a J.D. professional who works under the supervision of the Assistant Dean of Admissions in the effort to attract, recruit and yield a highly-qualified and diverse student body for its JD and Master of Law Programs. The Admissions Coordinator will focus on recruiting and seating applicants once they have been admitted by the admissions committee. The Admissions Coordinator will also have primary responsibility to run the Law School’s Academic Success program under the direction of the Assistant Dean of Students.

Applications should be submitted by July 31, 2013. Interested persons should create an online application at https://yjobs.byu.edu. More information about the responsibilities and duties of each position is available at the YJobs link.

Best regards,

D. Gordon Smith
    Associate Dean for Faculty and Curriculum
    Glen L. Farr Professor of Law

--Yeats