Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Random chat thread

Remember to pay your devs people, or your app may start to act a bit funny..

Best use of drone award goes to....

Neighbor retaliates being annoyed by loud music!

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Best use of drone award goes to....

Neighbor retaliates being annoyed by loud music!

Wanna know what makes that video even more funny? When I accidentally texted it to Josh Romney (Mitt Romney's son - with whom I've had some limited business interactions) instead of my son Josh. Something tells me I won't be on the reelection campaign.

For those who have had a long week...

https://twitter.com/RexChapman/statu...21000244879360

Random chat thread

My son‘s company, Health Catalyst, went public today. This is good. In my old age, maybe I can live in his basement.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/two-hea..._copyURL_share

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Things to do in Kearns....

Police: Kearns woman runs out of gas driving ex-husband to hospital after shooting him

https://gephardtdaily.com/local/police-kearns-woman-runs-out-of-gas-driving-ex-husband-to-hospital-after-shooting-him/

An odd story.

Apparently Trump has floated the idea of buying Greenland.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-e...s&page=1&pos=1

An odd story.

Dumb idea. What about the rest of the Virgin Islands? Turk and Caicos? Bermuda? C'mon, Donald, be more creative!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

An odd story.

The more time that goes by, the more I really wonder if Donald thinks this is all a reality show. The plot, how he became the king of America

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve actually had a colleague who was like this. Everyone laughed at him.

--Yeats

Great snag.

Random chat thread

The new UF.net is up in beta format. Check
    it out here:

https://beta.utefans.net/t/welcome-t...-utefans-net/7

This site is not meant to replace Utah by 5. It is planned to be the successor to Utefans.net, but without all the baggage that site acquired after years of disuse. (For example, the politics and religion sections will become donor-only and will reside in a separate part of the board. They will never dominate again.). Eventually we expect there to be a relationship between the new Utefans.net and Utah by 5. We’re still working that out.

Come and see what you think!
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-26-2019 at 02:53 AM.

--Yeats

Looks good so far!

I know I've said this before, but it's relevant again. Yesterday, the brother of the recent murder victim said that he forgave the murderer. I know Twitter is not really representative of the population as a whole, but, wow, there are so many people out there who feel that forgiveness is wrong. It's fascinating to me to see which christian virtues survive in a post-christian nation and which are rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I know I've said this before, but it's relevant again. Yesterday, the brother of the recent murder victim said that he forgave the murderer. I know Twitter is not really representative of the population as a whole, but, wow, there are so many people out there who feel that forgiveness is wrong. It's fascinating to me to see which christian virtues survive in a post-christian nation and which are rejected.
    I have a Twitter account but hardly ever go there. This is one reason why.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I have a Twitter account but hardly ever go there. This is one reason why.
    Maybe I should stop. I like seeing the fringe ideas. The authors only live in Twitter, so they believe their ideas are mainstream. Sometimes it's frightening, though. I wonder sometimes if the crazy that I see there is an indication of what's coming. Then I feel like an old man complaining about kids these days.

In this day and age, I seriously do not think you can be an informed citizen if you are not on twitter. If you do not follow Pres Trump on twitter you are in the dark. There is a lot of junk but there is a lot of serious debate about important issues.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    In this day and age, I seriously do not think you can be an informed citizen if you are not on twitter. If you do not follow Pres Trump on twitter you are in the dark. There is a lot of junk but there is a lot of serious debate about important issues.
    Wow, I'm not sure about this. I'll think about it today. I have to think it's possible to be informed through other news sources. I don't follow the president, but I think I get the main idea anyway. I don't think I've seen any serious debate about important issues on Twitter, but I have seen links to serious debate about important issues on Twitter, which is probably what you meant? Every time I see an attempt at serious debate on Twitter itself, the dialogue is immediately drowned by an avalanche of angry tweets.

What I do see is a lot of anger-as-argument, humor-as-argument, and mockery-as-argument, especially mockery.

I mostly follow sports writers, but for news I follow the NYT, the WaPost, the Atlantic, and various op-ed writers (mostly from the NYT). Funny, I can't actually read most of the NYT and WaPost articles because they are too expensive, so I get their news from headlines. I also follow a few progressive co-workers who retweet a bunch of stuff. Who else should I be following?

Wow, I'm not sure about this. I'll think about it today. I have to think it's possible to be informed through other news sources. I don't follow the president, but I think I get the main idea anyway. I don't think I've seen any serious debate about important issues on Twitter, but I have seen links to serious debate about important issues on Twitter, which is probably what you meant? Every time I see an attempt at serious debate on Twitter itself, the dialogue is immediately drowned by an avalanche of angry tweets.

What I do see is a lot of anger-as-argument, humor-as-argument, and mockery-as-argument, especially mockery.

I mostly follow sports writers, but for news I follow the NYT, the WaPost, the Atlantic, and various op-ed writers (mostly from the NYT). Funny, I can't actually read most of the NYT and WaPost articles because they are too expensive, so I get their news from headlines. I also follow a few progressive co-workers who retweet a bunch of stuff. Who else should I be following?

Immediate example: Romney just issued his statement on Trump's Ukraine and china investigations of Biden on twitter. A lot of official stuff happens on twitter, and it is increasing.

A great podcast on how the democratization of information services has lead to increased polarization of politics because people can pick and choose their echo chambers.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...days-politics/

A great example of this:

trump-poll.jpg

I was both fascinated and appalled by this. I saw one protester basically say that the brother had no right to forgive her and that his actions undermined their message. I thought, "Actually, he is the one of the MAIN ones who has the right to forgive her, you as a protester have no say..."

I don't usually watch Trevor Noah but I caught something he said on this last night, and I actually think this is right. He pointed out the incongruity of people saying that there shouldn't be forgiveness. He said something along the lines of he finally identified it and thinks what is true is true for everyone. What he wants is for every judge to view a murder suspect as a person, and for mercy and kindness to be extended to every person, not just because they are a white woman.

I think he is right, and that should be the goal in all of these things (of course there are those who do not deserve for people to be light on them and do deserve the maximum sentence.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I was both fascinated and appalled by this. I saw one protester basically say that the brother had no right to forgive her and that his actions undermined their message. I thought, "Actually, he is the one of the MAIN ones who has the right to forgive her, you as a protester have no say..."

I don't usually watch Trevor Noah but I caught something he said on this last night, and I actually think this is right. He pointed out the incongruity of people saying that there shouldn't be forgiveness. He said something along the lines of he finally identified it and thinks what is true is true for everyone. What he wants is for every judge to view a murder suspect as a person, and for mercy and kindness to be extended to every person, not just because they are a white woman.

I think he is right, and that should be the goal in all of these things (of course there are those who do not deserve for people to be light on them and do deserve the maximum sentence.)
    I liked this insight from David French:

But I think both of these quotes get the moment backwards. The moment went so viral not because forgiveness was expected or white innocence was presumed. The moment went viral because the guilt was so obvious, and rage was so understandable. The moment went so viral because it was shocking. Brandt Jean demonstrated a level of grace that most Christians (white or otherwise) simply couldn’t comprehend, and they couldn’t comprehend it because the horror inflicted on his brother was so obvious and so thoroughly unjustifiable.
    https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...ydb_S9NoqEAh2Q

--Yeats

Follow up on last week's conversation. Now kindness appears to be joining forgiveness on the list of overrated/outdated virtues. Ellen hangs out with W, people make a mountain out of this molehill, Ellen says she believes that people can/should be kind to each other despite political differences, Ellen is blasted by people who believe kindness is not a good thing.

Is outrage the chief virtue of the secular religion? Outrage never faileth? If I seek justice and equality, but have not outrage, I am become as sounding brass or a tinkling cymbal?
    Last edited by sancho; 10-10-2019 at 11:28 AM.

Follow up on last week's conversation. Now kindness appears to be joining forgiveness on the list of overrated/outdated virtues. Ellen hangs out with W, people make a mountain out of this molehill, Ellen says she believes that people can/should be kind to each other despite political differences, Ellen is blasted by people who believe kindness is not a good thing.

Is outrage the chief virtue of the secular religion? Outrage never faileth? If I seek justice and equality, but have not outrage, I am become as sounding brass or a tinkling cymbal?
    I know lots of people who agree with The Hulk:

DeGeneres' plea for tolerance drew praise from some famous faces, including Reese Witherspoon, Kristen Bell and Blake Shelton, but Ruffalo said Bush isn't off the hook.

"Sorry, until George W. Bush is brought to justice for the crimes of the Iraq War, (including American-lead torture, Iraqi deaths & displacement, and the deep scars–emotional & otherwise–inflicted on our military that served his folly), we can’t even begin to talk about kindness," tweeted "The Avengers" star Wednesday.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...sh/3926734002/

So no kindness is even proper to discuss until someone is punished for what you believe he did wrong. What a foolish thing to say.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-10-2019 at 04:27 PM.

--Yeats

I know lots of people who agree with The Hulk:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...sh/3926734002/

So no kindness is even proper to discuss until someone is punished for what you believe he did wrong. What a foolish thing to say.
    This is the primary problem in the Middle East.

The only solution is Thanos's Final Solution
    14Thanos-sayings.jpg

The new UF.net is up in beta format. Check
    it out here:

https://beta.utefans.net/t/welcome-t...-utefans-net/7

This site is not meant to replace Utah by 5. It is planned to be the successor to Utefans.net, but without all the baggage that site acquired after years of disuse. (For example, the politics and religion sections will become donor-only and will reside in a separate part of the board. They will never dominate again.). Eventually we expect there to be a relationship between the new Utefans.net and Utah by 5. We’re still working that out.

Come and see what you think!

Based on recent (in)activity, it appears this site winding down. Just wanted to thank all those involved in keeping it up and running the last six years. It's been a pleasant distraction!
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Based on recent (in)activity, it appears this site winding down. Just wanted to thank all those involved in keeping it up and running the last six years. It's been a pleasant distraction!
    this is my favorite Ute message board, there's always some great discussion here and this board has all the Utah Mensa members (sans me)

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    this is my favorite Ute message board, there's always some great discussion here and this board has all the Utah Mensa members (sans me)
    Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    This site is NOT winding down. Changes are coming! Stay tuned!

(Does anyone under the age of 30 even know what "stay tuned" means anymore?)

--Yeats