Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: Random chat thread

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    This site is NOT winding down. Changes are coming! Stay tuned!

(Does anyone under the age of 30 even know what "stay tuned" means anymore?)
    This is also where I want to be...except not here. I want these people but on a site that works. I keep saying this - why not use one of the free options? Rocker is putting time and money into utefans. We shouldn't expect him to put time/money into utahby5. Why not use a free site (either slack or discord)? They work well, and their apps work well. This is how the kids are doing it, and I think someone (LAUte) is going to end up spending time/money unnecessarily.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    This is also where I want to be...except not here. I want these people but on a site that works. I keep saying this - why not use one of the free options? Rocker is putting time and money into utefans. We shouldn't expect him to put time/money into utahby5. Why not use a free site (either slack or discord)? They work well, and their apps work well. This is how the kids are doing it, and I think someone (LAUte) is going to end up spending time/money unnecessarily.
    FWIW I think UFN has been the learning curve for what we COULD do with this site. LA and I have chatted a bit about this and both agree (and it seems you all do too) that we like the community and tone of this board, just not the tech. So, as far as time spent to migrate to a like platform like we did for UFN would be pretty straight forward. Plus that software is open-source and free - so might even save some dough compared to now (I'm not sure what that cost is actually).

So... with nobody asking my opinion, what I would personally do is migrate Utahby5 to Discourse and keep it separate (even though I think the tone on UFN is like night and day different than what it was). If you are wondering what it might be like, go sign up at https://www.utefans.net and dig around.

Some pros to doing this:

1. We'd get a tech that works and works really well I think
    2. We can actually migrate all of the vbulletin info that is here to the new service (an option not available for the old UFN)
    3. We keep a similar forum structure that encourages ongoing conversations - UFN members are still getting trained on this notion due to the old format they are familiar with
    4. Lots of good stuff with the new platform that will prevent spam, ensure ongoing maintenance etc.

I'm just someone willing to help out, and that is just my opinion. All of you are much smarter than me, but I'd like to preserve this community as well. Plus it is a great place to contain all of the Larry K apologists... amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    FWIW I think UFN has been the learning curve for what we COULD do with this site. LA and I have chatted a bit about this and both agree (and it seems you all do too) that we like the community and tone of this board, just not the tech. So, as far as time spent to migrate to a like platform like we did for UFN would be pretty straight forward. Plus that software is open-source and free - so might even save some dough compared to now (I'm not sure what that cost is actually).

So... with nobody asking my opinion, what I would personally do is migrate Utahby5 to Discourse and keep it separate (even though I think the tone on UFN is like night and day different than what it was). If you are wondering what it might be like, go sign up at https://www.utefans.net and dig around.

Some pros to doing this:

1. We'd get a tech that works and works really well I think
    2. We can actually migrate all of the vbulletin info that is here to the new service (an option not available for the old UFN)
    3. We keep a similar forum structure that encourages ongoing conversations - UFN members are still getting trained on this notion due to the old format they are familiar with
    4. Lots of good stuff with the new platform that will prevent spam, ensure ongoing maintenance etc.

I'm just someone willing to help out, and that is just my opinion. All of you are much smarter than me, but I'd like to preserve this community as well. Plus it is a great place to contain all of the Larry K apologists... amirite?
    Question about the new utefans.net, is it a brand new site or just a new platform? Like, does my previous log account still exist or would I need to create a new one?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Question about the new utefans.net, is it a brand new site or just a new platform? Like, does my previous log account still exist or would I need to create a new one?
    You need to create a new one. All new site. 100% less misogyny and brainless political banner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want this guy to narrate all stories.