Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast
Results 541 to 570 of 590

Thread: Random chat thread

  1. #541
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,176
    The simultaneous landing of the boosters is something right out of Iron Man.



    Skip to the :50 mark to watch the landing.

  2. #542
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,176

  3. #543
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,176
    *dramatic music intensifies*


  4. #544
    Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    *dramatic music intensifies*

    10? 15? I lost track of how times I hit replay.

  5. #545
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    10? 15? I lost track of how times I hit replay.
    The dude recording had to have screwed with the hammer, right? Why else would he be filming?

  6. #546
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,176
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    The dude recording had to have screwed with the hammer, right? Why else would he be filming?
    I was wondering about the recording too. I figured it was legit because he stopped as soon as it happened. If you set up that prank, you'd want to get the reaction. My sense was he stopped to go help.

    But I could be wrong.

  7. #547
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,176
    This blog post is awesome:

    Things I Won't Work With: Dioxygen Diflouride

    And yes, what happens next is just what you think happens: you run a mixture of oxygen and fluorine through a 700-degree-heating block. “Oh, no you don’t,” is the common reaction of most chemists to that proposal, “. . .not unless I’m at least a mile away, two miles if I’m downwind.” This, folks, is the bracingly direct route to preparing dioxygen difluoride, often referred to in the literature by its evocative formula of FOOF.

  8. #548
    My mother-in-law and her husband have been staying with us the last couple of days. The husband is a Russian bots wet dream. He spends large chunks of his day on Facebook sharing whatever ridiculous conspiracy theory that pops up on his feed. Never contributed any personal commentary and never responds to any comments when I’ve been bored enough to push back. In person, he just says that he doesn’t like to discuss politics. LOL. Just yesterday morning, he had posts about “pinko commie’s,” unsealing Obama’s birth certificate, Lebron James, abortion, arresting Hillary, and Joseph Stalin and the assault weapon debate. He is crazy. Well, he made the mistake of leaving his phone unattended yesterday. After joking about it with my wife for years, I grabbed it and changed his Facebook settings to “only me” so that now, no one else sees the ridiculous crap he posts all day, every day. I also unliked several of the extreme right wing pages he was following and liked several more “neutral” news organizations so that he’s exposed to some better ideas. I’m not super proud of it, but it needed to be done. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #549
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,176
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    My mother-in-law and her husband have been staying with us the last couple of days. The husband is a Russian bots wet dream. He spends large chunks of his day on Facebook sharing whatever ridiculous conspiracy theory that pops up on his feed. Never contributed any personal commentary and never responds to any comments when I’ve been bored enough to push back. In person, he just says that he doesn’t like to discuss politics. LOL. Just yesterday morning, he had posts about “pinko commie’s,” unsealing Obama’s birth certificate, Lebron James, abortion, arresting Hillary, and Joseph Stalin and the assault weapon debate. He is crazy. Well, he made the mistake of leaving his phone unattended yesterday. After joking about it with my wife for years, I grabbed it and changed his Facebook settings to “only me” so that now, no one else sees the ridiculous crap he posts all day, every day. I also unliked several of the extreme right wing pages he was following and liked several more “neutral” news organizations so that he’s exposed to some better ideas. I’m not super proud of it, but it needed to be done. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We need some college student with too much free time to spin up a bunch of right wing FB bots that share these things with each other and anyone who likes them gets their posts hidden from anyone except the bots. Sort of like a alt-right honey pot.

  10. #550

  11. #551
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,176
    For anyone who is nostalgic for the old internet days of GeoCities, I bring you: http://www.gifcities.org

    A site that curates all the old animated gifs from GeoCities.

  12. #552

  13. #553
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    16,420
    Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    A person could get killed for doing that.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  14. #554
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    A person could get killed for doing that.
    The price of grapes this time of year make it down right criminal!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #555
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    The price of grapes this time of year make it down right criminal!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I got grapes for $0.99 a pound last week


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #556
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,176
    I have questions, comments, and concerns.



    EDIT: So it looks like this is the source. Complete with back story.

    Last edited by U-Ute; 04-09-2018 at 11:55 AM.

  17. #557
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,162
    Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I have questions, comments, and concerns.

    Singles ward speed dating?

  18. #558
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,176
    Left here without comment. I don't know what I'd say anyway.


  19. #559
    Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Left here without comment. I don't know what I'd say anyway.

    I liked the music.

  20. #560
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,176
    Sly still owns the turtles used in the original Rocky.

    https://www.instagram.com/p/BiZ5d6oD...source=twitter

    sly.jpg

  21. #561
    New York judge orders man, 30, to move out of family home after parents sue ...

    Is this what I have to look forward to:

    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...0-parents-home

  22. #562
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,176
    I was watching this video with highlights of Messi scoring goals, and ran across this particular goal.

    messiwow.png

    Yeah, he scored on this run. That's pretty insane.

    https://youtu.be/GOHVfc-LoLc?t=302

  23. #563
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,176
    I never understood this trend.

    lowrider.jpg

  24. #564
    Wow, that is a low rider!

  25. #565
    Why are Utah's roads so bad when compared to our neighbors. I just spent the week traveling from Park City to Mesa Verde. As soon as we crossed the border into Colorado, the road was smooth with no swells or hollows. It continued to be great as far as Durango, where we stopped. We had the same experience last year when we went on I-70 to Telluride. Cross the border and the roadway is better. Traveling north the freeway is better as soon as you cross into Idaho. Freaking Idaho. Both I-80 and I-15 are better in Nevada than in Utah. Do we just have shitty contractors?

  26. #566
    We just need a lottery, gambling, or marijuana to increase our tax base.

  27. #567
    I travel frequently on one of the worst roads, perhaps in the nation. 2700 S from about 2300 East to 700 East is like driving on a poor dirt road.

    SLC has completely mismanaged road maintenance. Meanwhile they are repairing roads on quiet streets all around it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  28. #568
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    one of the worst roads, perhaps in the nation
    And yet that stretch would be considered one of the better roads in New Orleans. There's always something worse!

    I'm think roads are probably like climate control in large buildings - it must be much harder than we know.

  29. #569
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I travel frequently on one of the worst roads, perhaps in the nation. 2700 S from about 2300 East to 700 East is like driving on a poor dirt road.

    SLC has completely mismanaged road maintenance. Meanwhile they are repairing roads on quiet streets all around it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You can thank the former mayors for that.

    They diverted and borrowed money for their pet projects at the expense of other things.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  30. #570
    Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    You can thank the former mayors for that.

    They diverted and borrowed money for their pet projects at the expense of other things.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yup, SLC has been and continues to be severely mismanaged. But we do have special bike lanes now (coming from a biker - who thinks it is ridiculous, not only for the expense, but also because they never planned to string the lanes together in a useful way, so you find yourself riding along in a lane that suddenly disappears and you find yourself in the middle of some 6 lane road), and Harvey Milk Blvd.
    Last edited by Rocker Ute; 05-28-2018 at 08:00 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •