Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Random chat thread

One of the complaints from PAC fans has been that SLC is lacking nightlife. That seems to be changing:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=26110564

Forbes put out its ranking of all American colleges. The PAC-12 did well, and Utah is right in the middle of the conference:

1. Stanford
    22. Cal
    34. UCLA
    63. USC
    55. Washington
    101. Colorado
    143. Utah
    211. Arizona
    217. Oregon
    211. Arizona State
    304. Oregon State
    328. Washington State

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Another system that is heavily biased towards private schools, even though there are no clear advantages of private over public.
    Well, FWIW. I was surprised that the PAC schools ranked below us were so...low.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Forbes put out its ranking of all American colleges. The PAC-12 did well, and Utah is right in the middle of the conference:

1. Stanford
    22. Cal
    34. UCLA
    63. USC
    55. Washington
    101. Colorado
    143. Utah
    211. Arizona
    217. Oregon
    211. Arizona State
    304. Oregon State
    328. Washington State
    Should I be surprised that oregon is ranked d so low?

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Should I be surprised that oregon is ranked d so low?
    I was kind of surprised.

--Yeats

Getting to the really important questions:

FYI: Why Is It Funny When A Guy Gets Hit In The Groin?

--Yeats

Getting to the really important questions:

FYI: Why Is It Funny When A Guy Gets Hit In The Groin?
    Because it's not our groin.

Last edited by LA Ute; 08-06-2013 at 03:47 PM.

--Yeats

--Yeats

BANG! You're dead!

OK...am I still dead?

Last edited by LA Ute; 08-15-2013 at 09:07 PM.

--Yeats

It is always entertaining to listen to your kids talk in their sleep.
    Last edited by arizonaute; 08-21-2013 at 05:07 PM.

Our elementary school moved from year round school back to a traditional school this year. My kids are not used to the extra long summer. They may not live to see the first day of school.

OK. I'm being an idler. But this is just mesmerizing. Don't ask me why.

Near misses:

--Yeats

Caption contest for this one:

--Yeats

Here you go: "Thou shalt have no other Gods before me."

Desse jeito, năo tem jeito.

Romans 13:7 Pay to all what is owed to them: taxes to whom taxes are owed, revenue to whom revenue is owed, respect to whom respect is owed, honor to whom honor is owed.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Utah Football pre and post 2010 TCU game

Only thing that comes to mind is "Ferris Bueller, your my hero".

How to punish those that drink from the container instead of using a cup. . . (Caution, language)
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 08-31-2013 at 07:50 PM.

Banned
    NSFW

I"m not exactly hip, so maybe this website is old news to everyone here.

Still, though. It's tons of fun.

http://www.thisiswhyimbroke.com/
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post

Awesome! I am going to win the white elephant party/gag gift this year with some purchases from that site.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post

I saw the Batman tail lights on a truck here in the valley a couple of years ago. He had a whole batman theme going on... except for the vehicle itself was a piece of junk flatbed truck instead of a kickass Batmobile. But you have to start somewhere I suppose.

Come to think of it, I would see that guy and his truck regularly on the freeway, and I haven't seen him recently.

Today is National Cream-filled Donut Day. Of course that would fall on the day I decided to get serious about losing 15-20 pounds.

1235974_10151956468812650_594113323_n.jpg

Fortunately, I am not really a donut guy. It would be worse if today were National Ice Cream Day, or French Fries Day, or Chocolate Chip Copies day. Now you all know my dietary Achilles heels.

--Yeats

This is where I explain the complexity of various names I will call people here from time to time. I do this as a completely good-natured joke, and love to get responses in kind.

First is designation as a WFB (warthog-faced buffoon). It is actually an honorific, but only in an odd way. When someone I like answers one of my posts in such a manner as to leave me cornered (for example, pointing out an undeniable error on my part, or a point I have simply lost; or makes me laugh; or is just a good sport about something; or simply makes a good, eye-opening point) I resort to the only honorable response left to me: Call the bounder a warthog-faced buffoon.

warthog_knp-0311_blog.jpg

If the same WFB catches me a second time, he is designated a miserable, vomitous mass, or "MVM."*

Most of you have not nailed me yet. Even if you do, it sometimes takes a while for me to admit that.

The original WFB
    __________________________________________________ _________
    *These terms are familiar to students of that cinematic classic, The Princess Bride.

--Yeats

Banned
    Language warning.

Last edited by Devildog; 10-09-2013 at 05:22 PM. Reason: embedding other video didn't work

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    Language warning.

Best movie to capture on duty police camaraderie yet. We're a screwball bunch

Banned
    This is where I explain the complexity to the theme of the various videos that I post in the random chat thread...

First is the obvious nature of the random chat involved.

Second, they probably involve women... and the reason for this is simple, when I am personally involved in random chat it often involves the subject of women.

Most of you probably didn't realize this... and frankly, I'm not surprised.

The future scares me:

"This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    The future scares me:

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Not really.

--Yeats