Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Random chat thread

I'll just leave this here...

eminem.jpg

This is kind of interesting:

Poll: What is the Most Popular Team in Utah?

http://utahpolicy.com/index.php/feat...r-team-in-utah

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Surprised. I'd have guessed the Jazz in a landslide, but last time I was there was during the heyday of Stockton to Malone.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Hey, Sancho -- you have PMs (private messages) waiting for you. To find them you need to click on "Private Message" on the menu bar above.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Hey, Sancho -- you have PMs (private messages) waiting for you. To find them you need to click on "Private Message" on the menu bar above.
    But beware of anything from Wally, I hear he is into some pretty kitsch stuff.

How have I missed The Real Husbands of Hollywood with Kevin Hart, until now. You get the best of Hart without all the profanity. Instant classic after instant classic.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Banned
    I thought everyone had already seen this, then I found out not everyone had. So I'm posting it here so that another 7 or 8 can see it also. (It is the coolest Mustang ever)

Racing fast little boats on twisty river channels used to be a popular sport here around Seattle (Sammamish Slough between Lake Washington and Sammamish Lake). It was an annual event from the early 1930s through 1976, and the races often had 80k spectators.

The boats raced around tight corners, jumped logs, and dodged bridge pilings.

The races ended after a spectator was badly injured in 1976, but a local historical society wad able to get the races organized again for the last two years.

Here is a promo video from the 1950s sometime:

http://livability.com/top-10/familie...-families/2015

Have lived in 2 of these 10 cities/towns.

I just dropped off a load of gently used junk at the Centerville DI. The dude helping me at the Donation Drop Off had on a shirt that said "You Suck."

Not part of the dress code, but definitely added some flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Senioritis View Post
    I just dropped off a load of gently used junk at the Centerville DI. The dude helping me at the Donation Drop Off had on a shirt that said "You Suck."

Not part of the dress code, but definitely added some flavor.
    Most of the staff at the DI are parolees or someone recently released from jail. That sounds scary, and might explain the t-shirt (or it might just be a fun shirt they found on the rack). But the DI does a fantastic job of helping those in that situation that are willing to work hard and want to improve their situation.

A relative of mine got a job at the DI after spending a year in jail. He found a mentor who is still a great friend to him today. They helped him earn his HVAC certificate through the local county trade school, and he then was able to get a good paying job in that field. I'm sure there are probably 5 burn-out stories for each success story, but I think it's cool that the DI contributes that role to the community (in addition to being willing to take my unwanted stuff).

Also, a guy in my ward works for the church, and was marvelling at how the DI could not turn a profit with their business model. I guess they run in the red each year, despite having nearly all of the goods they sell donated.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

I'll just leave this right here:

http://dilbert.com/strip/2015-06-07

--Yeats

Ouch. The Tar Heels looking bad.

University of North Carolina placed on probation by accreditation agency

http://college.usatoday.com/2015/06/...tation-agency/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--Yeats

As you guys know, I like to listen to the ESPN 700 podcasts while I am working out. Riley is out this week, and it is painfully clear that O'Connell cannot carry a show by himself. I usually drop the podcast about 10 minutes in and go to something else. It's really terrible.

--Yeats

sorry Seattle Pizza Hut on 65th st

I made dinner tonight and it sucked (not much was consumed). The fam said they were fine, but about an hour ago they started getting hungry. I hopped on line and ordered a couple of pizzas. I completely forgot to check which location I was ordering from. I showed up and Pizza Hut and they didn't have my order, they called a couple close by stores and couldn't find it.

When I got home I checked my laptop and it had saved my location from a business trip a few weeks ago to Seattle

I need to start an I'm an idiot thread.
    Last edited by Scorcho; 06-19-2015 at 10:57 PM.

As you guys know, I like to listen to the ESPN 700 podcasts while I am working out. Riley is out this week, and it is painfully clear that O'Connell cannot carry a show by himself. I usually drop the podcast about 10 minutes in and go to something else. It's really terrible.

I couldn't agree more. OC is a nice enough guy, but there is just something about him that bores me or drives me nuts.

I think I like that show best when Bill is by himself. The budget at ESPN 700 must be pretty low compared to the Zone because the Zone keeps hiring Bill's cohosts away. Its boo bad Bill is too busy to have a show by himself.

Oh, has anyone heard the new midday show on 700? Monday through Thursday its Tom Kirkland, the former KSL sports anchor and on fridays its some mix of Frank Dolce, Josh Grant, Brian Swinney, Bo Nagahi, etc. Basically, whoever can get off work for a few hours. Kirkland's show is awful. Suffice it to say his talents arent in radio. For example, when a guest is on, he will say "uh huh, uh huh, uh huh" as they talk. He also appears to be trying too hard. The friday show is ok, unless Swinney is on.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I couldn't agree more. OC is a nice enough guy, but there is just something about him that bores me or drives me nuts.

I think I like that show best when Bill is by himself. The budget at ESPN 700 must be pretty low compared to the Zone because the Zone keeps hiring Bill's cohosts away. Its boo bad Bill is too busy to have a show by himself.

Oh, has anyone heard the new midday show on 700? Monday through Thursday its Tom Kirkland, the former KSL sports anchor and on fridays its some mix of Frank Dolce, Josh Grant, Brian Swinney, Bo Nagahi, etc. Basically, whoever can get off work for a few hours. Kirkland's show is awful. Suffice it to say his talents arent in radio. For example, when a guest is on, he will say "uh huh, uh huh, uh huh" as they talk. He also appears to be trying too hard. The friday show is ok, unless Swinney is on.
    Yah. This. Ugh.

I keep forgetting about the Red show on fridays. I need to remember that.

Seattle Ute and NWUF, get out while you still can!!

The Really Big One
    An earthquake will destroy a sizable portion of the coastal Northwest. The question is when.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...really-big-one

--Yeats

Seattle Ute and NWUF, get out while you still can!!

The Really Big One
    An earthquake will destroy a sizable portion of the coastal Northwest. The question is when.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...really-big-one

We are overdue. The last BIG quake around here raised the north end on Bainbridge Island by 10 ft, and dropped the south end by a similar amount.

But then again, California is also long overdue and the next big one in SLC will cause tremendous damage similar to the Mexico City quake in the 80s.

Nowhere is safe. Everybody Panic!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    We are overdue. The last BIG quake around here raised the north end on Bainbridge Island by 10 ft, and dropped the south end by a similar amount.

But then again, California is also long overdue and the next big one in SLC will cause tremendous damage similar to the Mexico City quake in the 80s.

Nowhere is safe. Everybody Panic!
    We're living in a tent now in the middle of an undeveloped plot of land. With no electrical wires overhead or gas or water mains underground. We're ready!

--Yeats

It seems a legendary Senioritis post was captured after all:

http://www.collegehumor.com/post/702...kground#item-3

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    It seems a legendary Senioritis post was captured after all:

http://www.collegehumor.com/post/702...kground#item-3
    AAAAARRRGGGHHHGHGHGHGH!!!! NO, NO, NO!!!! Make it stop!! MAKE IT STOP!!!!!!

CHECK IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We've had a parakeet for about 5 years. My wife and I kind are kind of sick of it, kids are mostly indifferent, but when asked about giving him to someone they really protest.

In the summer we put him outside during the day. When he is inside we will sometimes open his cage and he'll come out and fly around and do parakeet stuff with the kids.

Today when the storm picked up my wife brought him inside and opened his cage. We usually keep his door open with a clip and he'll go back and forth from inside to out of his cage.

The storm subsided so she put him back outside but didn't close the door. I was coming inside as it was getting dark and was about to bring him in when I noticed he wasn't there. The bird made a choice and it was to move on.

At first we hatched a plan to tell them he died in the evening and I buried him already. But then we thought, "What if he comes back?" So we went back to the policy of never lying to our kids and we are going to tell them the truth.

So if you see a yellow parakeet that hates people, enjoy him. He probably headed to the SL Country Club.

So my wife feels terrible because she knows the kids will be upset.

However there might be a silver lining. When I was a kid that is actually how we GOT our parakeet. One day we noticed him in a tree in our back yard so my brother coaxed him down from the tree and he had many adventures in our house after that.

So best of luck "Feathers" may you live a long life of freedom or may the animal that eats you kill you swiftly.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    There is a flock of naturalized parakeets in New Orleans that I believe started with a few escapees like Feathers. It was always really fun to see them around town.
    We taught Feathers abstinence only, and now that he is out on his own I am questioning that decision.

So in news of the weird, our bird was found and apparently the faith of our children who were praying for his return was stronger than the faith of my wife and me, as we were praying he wouldn't return.

Other than here we had told only two other couple friends of ours he was missing. This morning we were meeting up with one of them to go for a bike ride and when they rolled up to our house she said, "I think we found your missing bird." We thought they were joking because we had all been joking about it our last ride on Thursday. So skeptically we rode to their house about 3/4 a mile away half expecting to see a stuffed duck.

But there he was, sitting in the gutter trying to forage for some food.

I picked him up in one hand and rode him home steering with the other.

My daughter most concerned, who papered the neighborhood phone poles and walls with flyers hasn't woken yet, she'll be delighted. My 4yo ran outside to see him and said, "I wonder if he found a lady friend and they're gonna get married and have babies?" Lady friend? I wonder where she picked that up.

So it's a Pioneer Day miracle.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437841083.964409.jpg

A sample flyer my two daughters crates. We'll forgive them for covering up the number. Maybe he would have been found sooner if that hadn't happened. I'll have to remind them of that.