Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Random chat thread

Found myself trying to explain to an acquaintance of mine this weekend why my HS senior daughter didn't apply to BYU. He's only somewhat familiar with mormons, and not familiar at all with BYU.

Anyway, I told him it wasn't a good fit, and in explaining why......the dress code regarding short lengths & sundresses, FHE groups, tunnel singing, decaf drinks, clergy recommends, approved housing, prayer before class, testimony bearing.....etc, I realized how odd it must sound to a normal person. But, it really hit me when I heard the the words "Beard Card" come out of my mouth. He looked at me like I had 5 heads, and said, and I quote "What in the hell is a beard card?" Ever try explaining the need for a doctor to give a medical reason to grow a beard?.....such a bizarre place.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Found myself trying to explain to an acquaintance of mine this weekend why my HS senior daughter didn't apply to BYU. He's only somewhat familiar with mormons, and not familiar at all with BYU.

Anyway, I told him it wasn't a good fit, and in explaining why......the dress code regarding short lengths & sundresses, FHE groups, tunnel singing, decaf drinks, clergy recommends, approved housing, prayer before class, testimony bearing.....etc, I realized how odd it must sound to a normal person. But, it really hit me when I heard the the words "Beard Card" come out of my mouth. He looked at me like I had 5 heads, and said, and I quote "What in the hell is a beard card?" Ever try explaining the need for a doctor to give a medical reason to grow a beard?.....such a bizarre place.
    Actually, with all the hipster doofus beards going on in the world today, suddenly the beard card has become decidedly awesome.

But yeah, weird place.

.....such a bizarre place.
    I am occasionally embarrassed to be a Mormon. Often, BYU is involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Actually, with all the hipster doofus beards going on in the world today, suddenly the beard card has become decidedly awesome.

But yeah, weird place.
    Check out the beard token:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beard_tax

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Check out the beard token:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beard_tax
    Nowadays the coin would have a dude in a topknot and beard. That should be taxed.

Get off my lawn.

But yeah, weird place.
    Are you anti-beard? Are you a male?

I am anti hipster-doofus beard. Yes I am male.

Big scraggly beards = attaching toilet to face

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beards are good. Shaving is awful, especially for those of us with a lot of testosterone.

5 years to complete the tweet. Well done.

anticpation.png

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Beards are good. Shaving is awful, especially for those of us with a lot of testosterone.
    Regular beards? Cool. Hipster-doofus beard (see picture above) = fecal matter close to face.

Hair is good. Think of Jesus' flowing locks and rangy beard, or Ulysses S. Grant's solid beard, or Jane Seymour's luscious locks. I think you are anti-hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Hair is good. Think of Jesus' flowing locks and rangy beard, or Ulysses S. Grant's solid beard, or Jane Seymour's luscious locks. I think you are anti-hair.
    Jesus didn't have fecal matter in his beard, I'm pretty comfortable with whatever He wants to do with his facial hair... He could place it on my kitchen table if He so chose. Ulysses S Grant probably did have fecal matter in his beard, but I think fecal matter covered everything back in that time. Jane Seymour doesn't have a beard, but probably washes her hair daily and certainly doesn't run soup and/or snot through it.

I'm sure your beard is fine though. (looks around uncomfortably).

Some other instances of bad hair:

Back hair
    Butt hair
    Loose hair found in cheesecake at restaurant
    Nose hair (beard can help conceal problem
    Ear hair

Speaking of which, when I first got married and we were trying to decide on a family doctor I decided to go to my wife's life long family practitioner. He had the most remarkable crop of ear hair... it was thick and apparently well-groomed. I was fixated on it. It also swung the choice over to my family doctor, who did a better job on the ear hair forest.

Growing older now and having to make sure to keep things on my ears well-plucked and groomed I've had that fear from Seinfeld that my grooming will result in it growing back faster, thicker and blacker and my currently mockery of ear hair will come back to haunt me.

I just finished watching the final season of Justified. It was great, but it has some weird facial hair issues.

First was Sam Elliot without a mustache. He has the most perfect persona and upper lip for a mustache ever, seeing him without it was unnerving.

Then the the guy on the right had a very scraggly beard. It's the same guy that played the Hope's grandpa in Raising Hope. Every time he was in screen, my face started to itch.

“To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Jesus didn't have fecal matter in his beard, I'm pretty comfortable with whatever He wants to do with his facial hair... He could place it on my kitchen table if He so chose. Ulysses S Grant probably did have fecal matter in his beard, but I think fecal matter covered everything back in that time. Jane Seymour doesn't have a beard, but probably washes her hair daily and certainly doesn't run soup and/or snot through it.

I'm sure your beard is fine though. (looks around uncomfortably).

Some other instances of bad hair:

Back hair
    Butt hair
    Loose hair found in cheesecake at restaurant
    Nose hair (beard can help conceal problem
    Ear hair

Speaking of which, when I first got married and we were trying to decide on a family doctor I decided to go to my wife's life long family practitioner. He had the most remarkable crop of ear hair... it was thick and apparently well-groomed. I was fixated on it. It also swung the choice over to my family doctor, who did a better job on the ear hair forest.

Growing older now and having to make sure to keep things on my ears well-plucked and groomed I've had that fear from Seinfeld that my grooming will result in it growing back faster, thicker and blacker and my currently mockery of ear hair will come back to haunt me.
    But without beards there wouldn't be this

This is awesome.

Have 2 random thoughts tonight:

First, my son has a game tomorrow against a team that is gonna pitch a kid named Blaze Whichen. Best name ever. Made me think I should've named my kid Axel, Ace, Gunner or some-such.

Second, I've lived in a number of states outside Utah, and it seems Mormon Prom has become stronger and stronger. In Texas, it was huge. At our current home, the Stake Center opens up to those that prefer to dance with the lights on and play games till midnight. I don't get it, but, whatever. Is there a Mormon Prom movement in Utah, or is the regular prom mormon enough?
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

No Mormon Prom in my neighborhood thankfully

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    No Mormon Prom in my neighborhood thankfully
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

I need a little help on a "hypothetical". In preparing his yard for winter, individual 'A' opens the spigot on the secondary water to help it drain and forgets about it. 'A' then puts his house up for sale and moves 2000 miles away. In the spring, individual 'B' (first time home owner) buys the house from 'A'. Two weeks after closing, individual 'B' goes out of town, and the city turns on the secondary water. Individual 'B' comes home to a window well full of water and a flooded basement bedroom. In your opinion, what legal/moral obligation does 'A' have to 'B'?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I need a little help on a "hypothetical". In preparing his yard for winter, individual 'A' opens the spigot on the secondary water to help it drain and forgets about it. 'A' then puts his house up for sale and moves 2000 miles away. In the spring, individual 'B' (first time home owner) buys the house from 'A'. Two weeks after closing, individual 'B' goes out of town, and the city turns on the secondary water. Individual 'B' comes home to a window well full of water and a flooded basement bedroom. In your opinion, what legal/moral obligation does 'A' have to 'B'?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    Hopefully, individual A was smart enough to not leave any contact information with Individual B.

Have 2 random thoughts tonight:

First, my son has a game tomorrow against a team that is gonna pitch a kid named Blaze Whichen. Best name ever. Made me think I should've named my kid Axel, Ace, Gunner or some-such.

Second, I've lived in a number of states outside Utah, and it seems Mormon Prom has become stronger and stronger. In Texas, it was huge. At our current home, the Stake Center opens up to those that prefer to dance with the lights on and play games till midnight. I don't get it, but, whatever. Is there a Mormon Prom movement in Utah, or is the regular prom mormon enough?
    What in the world is Mormon Prom? Do you mean it is like a side prom during regular prom where kids can go and do what you described? And do non-Mormon kids participate?

Random chat thread

What in the world is Mormon Prom? Do you mean it is like a side prom during regular prom where kids can go and do what you described? And do non-Mormon kids participate?
    We have them regionally in SoCal. Usually they are in pretty cool venues. Example:

http://ldsprom.blogspot.com/?m=1

They're for LDS kids but I think anyone can go as long as they observe the standards. The youth enjoy them. We pooled money and rented a limo for 8-10 kids frlm our ward to go one year.

More info here. I don't think it's a Wasatch Front or Utah thing:

https://www.lds.org/new-era/2013/03/...ud-of?lang=eng

"It's men in shorts." -- Rick Majerus
    Last edited by LA Ute; 04-17-2016 at 04:14 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

There's no such thing in Utah.

No need because the schools often choose to embarrass kids by selectively enforcing dress codes

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    There's no such thing in Utah.

No need because the schools often choose to embarrass kids by selectively enforcing dress codes

I meant that they don't do such proms in areas where there are lots of Mormons. But you're right, the dress code antics at some Utah schools are epic.

"It's men in shorts." -- Rick Majerus

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Yes, LDS kids participate in lieu of the school prom. My kids have never participated so I don't have any direct experience with it, only through invitations and word of mouth stories.

What got me thinking about it, is our move date to Utah draws nearer and nearer, and as such people are eager to teach me about all the changes since we left 25 years ago. Outside of the normal mormon/anti-mormon stuff I expected, there's other things.....for example, apparently the campus hosts some great food trucks for lunch, the hiking/cycling/running trails have expanded tremendously, and here's an interesting one......I guess the moms like to dress like their teenage daughters -- hey, it's just what I was told.

Yes, LDS kids participate in lieu of the school prom. My kids have never participated so I don't have any direct experience with it, only through invitations and word of mouth stories.

What got me thinking about it, is our move date to Utah draws nearer and nearer, and as such people are eager to teach me about all the changes since we left 25 years ago. Outside of the normal mormon/anti-mormon stuff I expected, there's other things.....for example, apparently the campus hosts some great food trucks for lunch, the hiking/cycling/running trails have expanded tremendously, and here's an interesting one......I guess the moms like to dress like their teenage daughters -- hey, it's just what I was told.
    Do LDS kids not go to their school prom? Why not? Where are you?

We currently live in the south, but, have also seen it in TX, PA and NE. A lot of LDS kids skip the actual prom. I'm not sure why they don't go to the prom. I understand why they don't go to the after prom parties......typically lots of drinking. In our area, kids will rent a lake house for 2 or 3 days and make a weekend out of it.

Prom is different region by region, and was just curious how the Utah prom operated.

We currently live in the south, but, have also seen it in TX, PA and NE. A lot of LDS kids skip the actual prom. I'm not sure why they don't go to the prom. I understand why they don't go to the after prom parties......typically lots of drinking. In our area, kids will rent a lake house for 2 or 3 days and make a weekend out of it.

Prom is different region by region, and was just curious how the Utah prom operated.
    In SLC, all kids go to the school proms and at least the more wholesome after parties. In my son's jr. prom two weeks ago, they all went bowling at an all-night bowling alley. I am sure there are parties where drugs and alchohol are consumed.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    In SLC, all kids go to the school proms and at least the more wholesome after parties. In my son's jr. prom two weeks ago, they all went bowling at an all-night bowling alley. I am sure there are parties where drugs and alchohol are consumed.

This is how it operates for my kids as well. Laser tag, gymnastic jumping stuff or something else after the prom. They go in big groups.

Crazy random story.

TL;DR: 35 years ago a pediatrician worked around the clock to save a 3.2 pound prematurely born baby. Fast forward to 2015, the child grows up to be a firefighter/paramedic and saves the doctor from a burning car wreck.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/doctor-sa...315203962.html