Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Random chat thread

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Yes, LDS kids participate in lieu of the school prom. My kids have never participated so I don't have any direct experience with it, only through invitations and word of mouth stories.

What got me thinking about it, is our move date to Utah draws nearer and nearer, and as such people are eager to teach me about all the changes since we left 25 years ago. Outside of the normal mormon/anti-mormon stuff I expected, there's other things.....for example, apparently the campus hosts some great food trucks for lunch, the hiking/cycling/running trails have expanded tremendously, and here's an interesting one......I guess the moms like to dress like their teenage daughters -- hey, it's just what I was told.
    Food Trucks have exploded in Salt Lake. Health department can't even keep up with applications. There's a 6 month to year wait just to get the initial inspection.

Some are really good. The U has some of them do food at football and basketball now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Food Trucks have exploded in Salt Lake. Health department can't even keep up with applications. There's a 6 month to year wait just to get the initial inspection.

Some are really good. The U has some of them do food at football and basketball now

Utah has a weird Food Truck and BBQ Joint obsession. I think we might have more of both types of business per capita than any other like city. Unfortunately the vast majority of the BBQ joints aren't really that good.

While we are talking about an inordinate amount of something... people out exercising, particularly cyclists at any given time in SLC. I'm not a world traveler, but observation would indicate that Utah might be one of the most active states in the nation in that regard. Along with that now is I see a lot of people running in the middle of the night. Lots of cyclists now at night too, but that is mostly just hipster single-speed dudes.

Finally, Audis. That seems to be the official car of the east bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Utah has a weird Food Truck and BBQ Joint obsession. I think we might have more of both types of business per capita than any other like city. Unfortunately the vast majority of the BBQ joints aren't really that good.

While we are talking about an inordinate amount of something... people out exercising, particularly cyclists at any given time in SLC. I'm not a world traveler, but observation would indicate that Utah might be one of the most active states in the nation in that regard. Along with that now is I see a lot of people running in the middle of the night. Lots of cyclists now at night too, but that is mostly just hipster single-speed dudes.

You come to Utah for two reasons only. Mormon connections and outdoor recreation.

I got an audi b/c awd was standard. Hated going up and down the hill between 11th and 13th east in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I got an audi b/c awd was standard. Hated going up and down the hill between 11th and 13th east in the winter.
    I'm not criticizing Audis, I actually really like them, but they are WAY popular here.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    You come to Utah for two reasons only. Mormon connections and outdoor recreation.
    Which, when you think about it, is one and possibly two reasons more than most places in the US.

I'm not criticizing Audis, I actually really like them, but they are WAY popular here.
    It seemed like in my neighborhood growing up you could always tell how well off they were depending on whether their AWD car of choice was an Audi or a Subaru. My family owned Subarus.
    Last edited by Scratch; 04-18-2016 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Add Wisconsin to the list. It was a big deal there. The kids there told me they didn't go to regular prom because (1) they didn't feel comfortable with the kind of dancing going on and (2) they felt like regular prom came with an implicit agreement to have sex with your date.

I haven't heard about it in CO.

I don't like mormon prom. If you are going to take a stand against regular prom, just skip it altogether.
    My sons never went. My daughter went twice, then seemed to kind of outgrow it. Around here, if your church buddies are going to the LDS prom, then you go. But as high schoolers get farther along and become juniors and seniors they seem to break away with their own school friends and do things with them.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Isn't Portland the food truck capital of the US?

Based on my experience in the two states, I think CO beats Utah on per capita cyclists.
    Portland has a big food cart scene, not food trucks.

There are some really good food carts in Portland, although a few of the food cart areas may give way to development soon.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Random chat thread

I do not wish to defame an entire generation, but this is funny.

https://www.facebook.com/BestOfInsta...4217210591361/

Note: I'm a baby boomer and we haven't exactly covered ourselves in glory either. All generations have their laughable idiosyncrasies. And of course, we are generalizing when we talk about generations. None are monolithic.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 05-15-2016 at 01:35 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Second daughter graduated from HS today. Here are some random thoughts.....

About a thousand kids in her graduating class
    Both the Salutatorian and Valedictorian are Indian descent -- over 4.5 gpa's.
    Over $12mm in scholarships awarded to the class
    School won 10 state championships this year, including a clean sweep of M & W soccer and softball yesterday. In the 8 years we've lived in this HS district, they've probably won around 60 state championships. I can't imagine a more accomplished HS athletic program in the country.
    Mine will be a Ute, but, schools from coast to coast, including all three service academies are represented. Foreign schools were represented as well.
    I don't remember a single thing from my graduation over 30 years ago, and it isn't because I partied. Too much time has passed.
    Each year graduation parties and senior trips get more and more elaborate.
    One more kid to go........

Overall, a good day.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

so where do you live?

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    so where do you live?
    Tooele.

I'm always a bit confused by the way today's schools do things. I hear about all these new GPA systems that go higher than 4.0

Then I know several people with kids who are constantly given opportunities to get "extra credit" from field trips to watching movies etc etc

Things have changed a lot in the 21 years since I graduated.

The bumper stickers on this car had us confused and laughing.

image.jpg

If you can't read the small sticker, it says " Guns don't kill people, people with mustaches kill people."
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    The bumper stickers on this car had us confused and laughing.

image.jpg

If you can't read the small sticker, it says " Guns don't kill people, people with mustaches kill people."
    Plus they heart unicorns!

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Plus they heart unicorns!
    They're after Deadpool's heart

My smartphone typing habits are annoyingly making their way into my subconscious. I keep trying to hit the spacebar on my keyboard twice to add a period at the end of a sentence.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

my FIL called me tonight he was distraught and emotional. We had some plans this weekend that he had to cancel. He had a drowning death on his ranch this afternoon (distant relative)

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=40646432&nid...ond-police-say

Ugh, About 5 years ago, my FIL found a fresh spring on his property and did a ton of development to make a small swimming pool/pond.
    Last edited by Scorcho; 07-13-2016 at 11:55 PM.

This was nice:

Tom Wharton: Here’s one Utah Catholic who proudly celebrates Pioneer Day

I'd be just as happy to see similar sentiment going from a Mormon to the Catholic community. (Maybe happier.) From afar, the division in the community there in Utah saddens me.

--Yeats

I think the state or the church or whoever has done a poor job with Pioneer day. It could be so inclusive. I'm still ticked that Miss Pioneer Day, or whatever she's called, must have a Mormon pioneer ancestor. Just dumb.

Random chat thread

I think the state or the church or whoever has done a poor job with Pioneer day. It could be so inclusive. I'm still ticked that Miss Pioneer Day, or whatever she's called, must have a Mormon pioneer ancestor. Just dumb.
    Didn't know that. Yes, dumb. The pioneers did not have pioneer ancestors. A first generation Utahn is a pioneer too. So are many others with no pioneer pedigree.

Edit: You can celebrate someone's bravery and contributions without being related to them.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 07-18-2016 at 11:44 AM.

--Yeats

......Just dumb.

The dumbest activity that the church promotes is the Pioneer Trek. With all the social pitfalls LDS kids have to navigate, this one has to be the goofiest.....dressing in 19th century clothes, pulling handcarts over miles of terrain in dangerous heat, limited water, girl pulls, Ma n Pa etc...etc....

Only one of my three kids has done this activity, and she never forgave my wife for those 3 days of hell.

I wonder how something like this catches on so quickly throughout the church. It's prima facie weird.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Random chat thread

We were just walking back from lunch. There is a homeless guy on the corner in a wheelchair with a sign that says, "Paralyzed in Iraq... please help." He is there pretty frequently.

As we approach him I'm not sure exactly what happened but a bee or something must have flown on him because he jumped out of his wheelchair and started swatting around his head.

So I'm not sure if I witnessed a miracle or a scam.

The dumbest activity that the church promotes is the Pioneer Trek. With all the social pitfalls LDS kids have to navigate, this one has to be the goofiest.....dressing in 19th century clothes, pulling handcarts over miles of terrain in dangerous heat, limited water, girl pulls, Ma n Pa etc...etc....

Only one of my three kids has done this activity, and she never forgave my wife for those 3 days of hell.

I wonder how something like this catches on so quickly throughout the church. It's prima facie weird.
    Zealotry.

We were just walking back from lunch. There is a homeless guy on the corner in a wheelchair with a sign that says, "Paralyzed in Iraq... please help." He is there pretty frequently.

As we approach him I'm not sure exactly what happened but a bee or something must have flown on him because he jumped out of his wheelchair and started swatting around his head.

So I'm not sure if I witnessed a miracle or a scam.

I hope you gave him a hug.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I hope you gave him a hug.
    I give everyone I meet a hug. I feel like denying someone a hug from me might in fact be damaging to them in the future and I just can't live with that kind of guilt.

Amen. I've been on an anti-trek crusade for years. My stake does one every 4 years. I am hoping they will replace it with something by the time my kids are 12.

I live in Colorado. One of the great mountain destinations. There are a million great hikes/lakes for the YM/YW here. Why in the world should we be dragging them up to the dead of Wyoming for a bizarre dress-up march? The leaders say "if you could only hear the testimony meeting at the end..." Bull. There are great testimony meetings at the end of all youth conferences. You don't need to do this in order to appreciate the pioneers! The pioneers were amazing. I have no pioneer ancestry, but I love the stories and examples. I have never been on a trek but somehow still managed to develop this appreciation. Trek is dumb and a little insulting to the actual pioneers whose hardships were not a fabrication.

Amen. I've been on an anti-trek crusade for years. My stake does one every 4 years. I am hoping they will replace it with something by the time my kids are 12.

I live in Colorado. One of the great mountain destinations. There are a million great hikes/lakes for the YM/YW here. Why in the world should we be dragging them up to the dead of Wyoming for a bizarre dress-up march? The leaders say "if you could only hear the testimony meeting at the end..." Bull. There are great testimony meetings at the end of all youth conferences. You don't need to do this in order to appreciate the pioneers! The pioneers were amazing. I have no pioneer ancestry, but I love the stories and examples. I have never been on a trek but somehow still managed to develop this appreciation. Trek is dumb and a little insulting to the actual pioneers whose hardships were not a fabrication.
    I was in the foyer this last Fast Sunday with the ward following ours having Sacrament meeting. I hadn't been paying attention to the sound coming out of the speaker until the testimony started loudly from an obvious YW (who had been at camp all week), "First of all, I want to say how unfair it is to just call on someone out of the audience and make them come up without ANY warning to have them bear their testimony. I just want to let everyone know that I haven't had any time to think about what I'm going to say, so this probably isn't going to be very good..."

Nice job taking the Bishop to task for making last minute testimony assignments.

The fact that the parade committee won't let Mormon's Building Bridges be in the parade pretty much says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    The fact that the parade committee won't let Mormon's Building Bridges be in the parade pretty much says it all.

They won't let them in, but the Mormons Digging Tunnels has free reign on the place.