Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Random chat thread

What cost more? The McFlurry or the 1994 El Dorado?

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2014/03/.../?spt=mps&or=3

1394813.jpg

Wow, this dude matches the crime.

For those of you with kids in football (or baseball) whose team wears white pants. Here's my tip: before throwing the pants in the washer, take them to the car wash and spray them with the soapy power wash. A power spray at home works just as well. By the end of the season they'll still look like you just took them out of the package.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

We just got a new client whose last name is Zoob.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    We just got a new client whose last name is Zoob.
    Do you charge him more?

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Do you charge him more?
    LA Ute doesn't discriminate. He overcharges everyone equally.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    LA Ute doesn't discriminate. He overcharges everyone equally.
    That's it. I'm never sharing my billing secrets with you again.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

My friend told me that his 8 year old son came home from school the other day and asked him if he remembered "when the planes flew into the buildings". He then started asking why someone would do that.

Seems strange that it was 13 years ago, and that kids are now learning bout it now in history books.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

This is a great thing to watch on this date.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=115...sportscenterFB

--Yeats

Banned
    Coming soon to an ISIS militant near you....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...983972&fref=nf

This is a compelling piece:

A Roomful of Yearning and Regret

NOT long ago, the friend of a friend spent the night in a hotel room, which is sometimes what you do when you find out your spouse has been having a yearlong affair. His flight was sadly predictable — it’s all many of us are capable of after discovering such a betrayal — though I am sure he now realizes that mere movement is not a fix for that kind of agony.

I know this for two reasons: No. 1, I have had an affair; No. 2, I have been the victim of one. When you unfurl these two experiences in the sunlight for comparison, and measure their worth and pain, the former is only marginally better than the latter. And both, frankly, are awful....
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-16-2014 at 03:35 PM.

--Yeats

--Yeats

There is certain math you should never do... like how much it actually costs to drive your car every day, or how much it costs per day to own a house.

I did one of those today... how many emails I get per day on average. For the month of September I averaged 152 emails a day, that includes Saturdays and Sundays. Pull weekends out and it is 207 per day. Presuming I work an 8 hour day, which I don't, that would be answering an email every 2.3 - 3.2 minutes of the work day. How does anyone expect to get anything done?

How do we kill email? I swear it has ruined civilization.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    You get more than I do. How many of those actually merit a response, and how many are instant deletes?

Email is a great thing. For a thousand years, we made slow improvements in communication. Faster, cheaper, faster, cheaper. With email, we finally arrive at instant and free communication. This, of course, is unacceptable to people who make money on communication, so they somehow convince the world to start paying boatloads of money to email each other simply by changing the name "email" to "text."
    Those are all the emails that a read worthy or merit a response, I delete everything else. Probably 50% warrant a response, but if I stop and read every email and say spend 30 seconds per email, and half of those get a 30 second response, the day is pissed away.

I especially hate the "I'm going to cc everyone remotely related to this email to cover my bases" guy, or the passive aggressive cc-Ing of people they think you might be scared of.

I'm of the opinion, and keep in mind my profession is based in this, that ease of communication is not a good thing.

You can fire off any stupid thing when it costs you nothing. You can burden any number of people. You can insert yourselves into someone's evening or any situation.

Seriously, do you remember 10-15 years ago where when you'd go home and the only time you heard from your boss or a client was when something was majorly wrong? I get emails routinely from clients all through the night and they ALL want a response by 9am.

I have a client right now in NY. He gets up at 5:30am (3:30am my time) and starts firing off emails of random thoughts. By 10am his time (8am mine) he is upset he I haven't responded within 3 hours. No amount of telling him that I turn my phone off from 8pm to 8am each day will satisfy him. There are hundreds of others less of an extreme but still the same mindset.

There is no bigger suck on my and my employees time than email.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    There is certain math you should never do... like how much it actually costs to drive your car every day, or how much it costs per day to own a house.

I did one of those today... how many emails I get per day on average. For the month of September I averaged 152 emails a day, that includes Saturdays and Sundays. Pull weekends out and it is 207 per day. Presuming I work an 8 hour day, which I don't, that would be answering an email every 2.3 - 3.2 minutes of the work day. How does anyone expect to get anything done?

How do we kill email? I swear it has ruined civilization.
    You don't. Paper is dead. We don't even write paper tickets anymore. All digital. I don't get paper subpoenas. They come in my email. That ship has sailed.

You don't. Paper is dead. We don't even write paper tickets anymore. All digital. I don't get paper subpoenas. They come in my email. That ship has sailed.
    I agree.

hope041811.jpg

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Haha

Now for a serious question, are courts in California going all digital?

--Yeats

Car/truck question.
    I'm in the market for a truck for putting around. A guy in the ward mentioned he's looking to get rid of his 2001 Chevy 1500 4WD (V8, 5.3L), 177,000 miles. He has another truck that he can use for truck stuff and wants something that gets better gas mileage for his commute that just got longer.

I'm driving it for a few days this week, and taking to the garage to have it checked out. Seems to drive fine so far. He said it had a small oil leak somewhere, and he just tops it off every 4-5 gas fill ups.

Anyone with truck knowledge have insight on the 2001 engine/transmissions/etc? He's asking $5000 (has some minor body damage, which I don't really care about...) Seems reasonable to me if I can expect 4-5 years of low miles (probably < 8K per year)

If I buy it, I'm going to put one of these on the back window.

Last edited by Brian; 12-03-2014 at 08:51 AM.

Kelly has them at $6800 for very good condition (which I think it is: garage can verify). So, it seemed like a good deal to me.

But, I live in the South where trucks are worshipped, so that might up the values... (c:

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Car/truck question.
    I'm in the market for a truck for putting around. A guy in the ward mentioned he's looking to get rid of his 2001 Chevy 1500 4WD (V8, 5.3L), 177,000 miles. He has another truck that he can use for truck stuff and wants something that gets better gas mileage for his commute that just got longer.

I'm driving it for a few days this week, and taking to the garage to have it checked out. Seems to drive fine so far. He said it had a small oil leak somewhere, and he just tops it off every 4-5 gas fill ups.

Anyone with truck knowledge have insight on the 2001 engine/transmissions/etc? He's asking $5000 (has some minor body damage, which I don't really care about...) Seems reasonable to me if I can expect 4-5 years of low miles (probably < 8K per year)

If I buy it, I'm going to put one of these on the back window.
    The oil leak may be a concern, could be a sign of expensive repairs to come, or it might not. Getting it checked by a mechanic should tell you if it is a problem.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Kelly has them at $6800 for very good condition (which I think it is: garage can verify). So, it seemed like a good deal to me.

But, I live in the South where trucks are worshipped, so that might up the values... (c:
    I can't tell you the last time I saw a truck. It's funny how where you live dictates the socially acceptable form of automobile you can own.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I can't tell you the last time I saw a truck. It's funny how where you live dictates the socially acceptable form of automobile you can own.
    Oh, my paradigm......
    But surely everyone puts _their_ NASCAR number on the back window?

When I lived in San Francisco I thought that Subaru Outbacks were the number 1 selling car in America.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    The oil leak may be a concern, could be a sign of expensive repairs to come, or it might not. Getting it checked by a mechanic should tell you if it is a problem.
    I picked it up late last night (he left the keys under the seat, so I didn't talk to him), and texted him a 'thank you for letting me check it out'. Just now he responded to have the mechanic check out the oil leak and give an estimate to have it fixed and knock that off the $5K. So that will help if it's not anything major...

I picked it up late last night (he left the keys under the seat, so I didn't talk to him), and texted him a 'thank you for letting me check it out'. Just now he responded to have the mechanic check out the oil leak and give an estimate to have it fixed and knock that off the $5K. So that will help if it's not anything major...
    Do you live in Mayberry? That truck would have been stolen 6 times doing that in Salt Lake lol

Do you live in Mayberry? That truck would have been stolen 6 times doing that in Salt Lake lol
    My wife thinks I grew up in Mayberry (I actually grew up in SLC). My family never locked our doors - I remember coming home from school on multiple occasions and having the front door wide open and no one inside. No big deal.

Now, my East Coast wife locks the doors when we are inside the house. I don't know what she's worried about.

Not quite, but close. I like where I live. No traffic, but Knoxville is only 10 minutes south. Not that Knoxville is a cultural haven, but I can kind of keep a foot in both worlds.
    When I bought a bike a few months ago, the guy at the bike shop encouraged me to get a bright orange riding shirt with a big "T" on it. The orange is easy to see, and it lets the 'hippy hating redneck in the truck' know that you're at least partially on his team, and to give you a little room on the road.

My wife thinks I grew up in Mayberry (I actually grew up in SLC). My family never locked our doors - I remember coming home from school on multiple occasions and having the front door wide open and no one inside. No big deal.

Now, my East Coast wife locks the doors when we are inside the house. I don't know what she's worried about.
    I lived in Los Alamos New Mexico for many years. Same thing. Huge percentage of the population has a PhD and a top secret clearance. Often times both parents. So, it's a pretty safe place One of our neighbours never locked their door. Even when they went on vacation. One time they were gone and we needed some spices for a barbeque, so I just went over to their house and rummaged around in their cabinets until I found what I needed. A lot of people were like that. And this was just a few years ago...

It amazes me how many people think there isn't a reason to lock their doors in salt lake.