The Hat

Bench (in order of coming in)
    Battin
    Gaskin

Plummer
    Carlson
    Brenchley
    Van Komen
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Here's how I think the rotation will go:

Starting 5
    Rylan
    #gachscratchfever
    Januten
    Timmy Buckets
    The Hat

Bench (in order of coming in)
    Battin
    Gaskin

Plummer
    Carlson
    Brenchley
    Van Komen
    Battin started last year. I would expect him to start at the beginning of the year at least. Hopefully is bigger, stronger, tougher, etc. He has a decent outside shot and if Thiot and Timmy are both in, you need another outside shooter. I don't recall anyone saying that is Januten's strong suit. Then again, I don't expect this team to win many games, so it might not matter.

I'm hearing that Carlsen grew 3 inches on his mission and is a legit 7 footer.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

The conference schedule was released today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    The conference schedule was released today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The tough guy look isn’t working here, especially on Battin.

Home games range from 12:30 pm to 8:00 pm, but not a single one at 7:30 or 7:30.

Edit: am I just conditioned now to complain about anything associated with Utah basketball? I gotta get off Twitter.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

They put the full schedule out for consumption as well.

EER4YuTUUAEvM3M.jpg
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    They put the full schedule out for consumption as well.

EER4YuTUUAEvM3M.jpg
    Not the most reader-friendly format.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Practice starts today!

Here is a podcast where Larry previews the roster:

http://collegehoopswatch.com/2019/09...y-krystkowiak/

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Practice starts today!

Here is a podcast where Larry previews the roster:

http://collegehoopswatch.com/2019/09...y-krystkowiak/
    one practice down, and no reports of any players entering the transfer portal yet

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    one practice down, and no reports of any players entering the transfer portal yet
    On a related note, Donnie Tillman was granted immediate eligibility for the Runnin' Rebels today. Because, of course.

Night with the Runnin utes will be Tuesday, Oct 15 at 7.

The Men and women will start things off with a 3 point shooting contest. Men scrimmage at 7:15. Women at 7:50.

Krystko was quoted in the SL Trib that "our team culture is off of the charts" that's exactly what I needed to hear from a team with 1 Jr. and 1 Sr. both of whom are unknowns. Is this code for buckle up, it's going to be a long year?

Last edited by Scorcho; 10-09-2019 at 05:08 PM.

Krystko was quoted in the SL Trib that "our team culture is off of the charts" that's exactly what I needed to hear from a team with 1 Jr. and 1 Sr. both of whom are unknowns. Is this code for buckle up, it's going to be a long year?

"We may not win many games, but these guys are great wingmen in the club."

If it makes you feel better, Gach said something similar to Ashley Adamson on the Pac 12 network about everyone this year being bought in, and that not being the case last year. FWIW.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Night with the Utes was fun. Obligatory grain of salt because, as you'll remember, I am a paid shill for the program.

-Gach looks much more comfortable this year. He is still a scorer first/passer second but he made some really nice passes to find open teammates.

-Allen attacked the rim like crazy. He had a decent amount of success, even among the trees.

-The red team started Carlson, Battin, Allen, Gach, and Rylan Jones. If I was a betting man, I would bet on that being your starting 5.

-Rylan Jones probably gets darn near 30 minutes a night this year. His vision and passing were as advertised. Its his defense that surprised me. He played the passing lanes well and got a few deflections off of double teaming a big at the right time.

-Matt Van Komen will have a role on this team. Hes got a ways to go offensively, but he reminds me a lot of Kelley up at OSU.

-Lahat Thioune (pronounced La-hot Toone) is very athletic and long.

-I think Jantunen, Plummer, and Thioune get most of the minutes off the bench. Wenzel maybe gets some filler time here and there. Brenchley may need a year to get into the swing of things. MVK, again, probably has earned a role for himself.

Night with the Utes was fun. Obligatory grain of salt because, as you'll remember, I am a paid shill for the program.

-Gach looks much more comfortable this year. He is still a scorer first/passer second but he made some really nice passes to find open teammates.

-Allen attacked the rim like crazy. He had a decent amount of success, even among the trees.

-The red team started Carlson, Battin, Allen, Gach, and Rylan Jones. If I was a betting man, I would bet on that being your starting 5.

-Rylan Jones probably gets darn near 30 minutes a night this year. His vision and passing were as advertised. Its his defense that surprised me. He played the passing lanes well and got a few deflections off of double teaming a big at the right time.

-Matt Van Komen will have a role on this team. Hes got a ways to go offensively, but he reminds me a lot of Kelley up at OSU.

-I think Jantunen, Plummer, and Thioune get most of the minutes off the bench. Wenzel maybe gets some filler time here and there. Brenchley may need a year to get into the swing of things. MVK, again, probably has earned a role for himself.

Kragthorpe alluded that we were miserable from the newly extended three. I think he tweeted that we missed our first 21 three's. Do we have good long range shooters?

If Rylan stay healthy, he'll be one of the greats before he's done. His court vision and intelligence is off the charts.

This team can't shoot. At least last night they couldn't throw a rock out a boat and hit the water, although I'm sure they're rusty and could come around. Plummer could be a pleasant surprise from beyond the ark.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Thanks for the summary. I wasn’t able to make it up unfortunately.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Kragthorpe alluded that we were miserable from the newly extended three. I think he tweeted that we missed our first 21 three's. Do we have good long range shooters?
    Most of the game, yes, it was brutal. And it wasn't just "good" misses either, there were some badddd misses (oh whoops, that is going to get my paycheck cut........)

There was a stretch in the second half where everyone caught fire. Battin hit a couple. Wenzel hit a couple. Rylan got in on the fun.

Only a paid shill for the program would admit to being a paid shill for the program. Don't try to deflect it.

Utah State ranked #17 in first AP poll

Preseason AP Top 25*

1. Michigan State (60)
    2. Kentucky (2)
    3. Kansas (3)
    4. Duke
    5. Louisville
    6. Florida
    7. Maryland
    8. Gonzaga
    9. North Carolina
    10. Villanova
    11. Virginia
    12. Seton Hall
    13. Texas Tech
    14. Memphis
    15. Oregon
    16. Baylor
    17. Utah State
    18. Ohio State
    19. Xavier
    20. Saint Mary's (California)
    21. Arizona
    22. LSU
    23. Purdue
    24. Auburn
    25. VCU

Utah freaking State

Most of the game, yes, it was brutal. And it wasn't just "good" misses either, there were some badddd misses (oh whoops, that is going to get my paycheck cut........)
    Why did you leave this part out of your original report, Ash?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA8jv1M6Y2g

(I'm Ripley.)
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Why did you leave this part out of your original report, Ash?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA8jv1M6Y2g

(I'm Ripley.)
    I'm being paid a lotttt of money to promote the team and coach to a group of 10-15 semi-anonymous people. Why would I include the bad stuff?

Kenpom has us 114 right now, 10th in the conference. I think a realistic goal would be 15 wins and keep the overwhelming majority of the top 9 rotation guys

Kenpom has us 114 right now, 10th in the conference. I think a realistic goal would be 15 wins and keep the overwhelming majority of the top 9 rotation guys
    I see between 5-7 OOC wins. Its going to be rough to find 9 conference wins. I think the Utes will win between 11-13 games.

Hope I'm horribly off in my prediction.

I see between 5-7 OOC wins. Its going to be rough to find 9 conference wins. I think the Utes will win between 11-13 games.

Hope I'm horribly off in my prediction.
    Your non-con prediction is depressing, not for it's lack of optimism, but for a greater-than-average possibility that you're right. We have 12 non-conference games (UT-Tyler is an exhibition and not being counted here). For us to go 5-7, the likeliest route would be for us to lose all the name games (UNR, Minnesota, THEM, SDSU, BYU and two at Myrtle Beach). And if we're bad enough to lose all those games, then a game like Weber State in many years becomes a toss-up game for us -- even in SLC.

Even 7-5 probably has us just winning one more in Myrtle Beach and a split of the Minnesota/BYU home games.

I'll edge toward optimism and say we win 7 in the non-con, 8 in league and we are 1-and-done in Vegas. That makes us 15-16 overall, a slight decline from the previous year. I'm not going to pretend for a second just yet as to whether or not that path warrants keeping Larry another year. I think I've been consistent in saying he gets until after the 2020-21 season. But if Harlan wants to make a move, Larry's certainly provided him enough ammunition. Now, if one of those wins is Kentucky ...

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Your non-con prediction is depressing, not for it's lack of optimism, but for a greater-than-average possibility that you're right. We have 12 non-conference games (UT-Tyler is an exhibition and not being counted here). For us to go 5-7, the likeliest route would be for us to lose all the name games (UNR, Minnesota, THEM, SDSU, BYU and two at Myrtle Beach). And if we're bad enough to lose all those games, then a game like Weber State in many years becomes a toss-up game for us -- even in SLC.

Even 7-5 probably has us just winning one more in Myrtle Beach and a split of the Minnesota/BYU home games.

I'll edge toward optimism and say we win 7 in the non-con, 8 in league and we are 1-and-done in Vegas. That makes us 15-16 overall, a slight decline from the previous year. I'm not going to pretend for a second just yet as to whether or not that path warrants keeping Larry another year. I think I've been consistent in saying he gets until after the 2020-21 season. But if Harlan wants to make a move, Larry's certainly provided him enough ammunition. Now, if one of those wins is Kentucky ...
    I assumed we might pull out a game or two this year where we're clearly not favored and conversely drop a game or more we probably should win.

This team is so young and should struggle early. I dont see any true road games wins OOC.

If this team wants to - and if the coaches want to insist on it - they could really defend well. That will keep them in a lot of games at home and on the road. If it could become a calling card they could surprise some teams and finish above .500 in league play and perhaps get a few wins in the tournament. A man can dream can't he.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    If this team wants to - and if the coaches want to insist on it - they could really defend well. That will keep them in a lot of games at home and on the road. If it could become a calling card they could surprise some teams and finish above .500 in league play and perhaps get a few wins in the tournament. A man can dream can't he.
    If pigs could fly.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post

I'll edge toward optimism and say we win 7 in the non-con, 8 in league and we are 1-and-done in Vegas. That makes us 15-16 overall, a slight decline from the previous year. I'm not going to pretend for a second just yet as to whether or not that path warrants keeping Larry another year. I think I've been consistent in saying he gets until after the 2020-21 season . But if Harlan wants to make a move, Larry's certainly provided him enough ammunition. Now, if one of those wins is Kentucky ...
    I just put this up on twitter, but I thought it was interesting. 247 sports data goes back about 15 years and I think you could argue it has improved with time. But if you ranked the Runnin Ute commitments during that time, then we have the second and third highest rated recruits coming in next year. (There is a lot of interesting stuff in there; namely Delon, Jakob, and Kuz were all laughably underrated). Barring transfers (insert transfer joke/argument here), we will have 6 of the top 9 on the roster next year. If (and I realize that is a big If) Larry can win 13 games or more and manages to keep the overwhelming number of contributors, he will be around for 2020-2021, which could be a really nice year.