Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast

Thread: "The Last Movie You Saw" thread

Marvel Infinity War.

via GIPHY

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    You have to wait until after every last credit has scrolled by to get the post credit scene. Its an interesting nod to a) some characters that didn't make it into the regular movie b) how the events of the movie impacted them and c) an upcoming marvel movie.

BTW, there are several scenes that are meant to get the audience excited. Each time they came on, the guy behind me would loudly holler, clap, and cheer. He also yelled out what the nod to the upcoming movie was during the post credits scene (OH!!!!! THATS ***** , YOU GUYS!) . Is this acceptable behavior in a theater? I say no. I think hearty laughter or an "ah!" or two is fine, but this crossed a line IMO. Curious what others thoughts are here.
    Opening night crowds for super hero films are... interesting. I've joked with my friend who chases down child predators that they should just park a van there.

On that note, one of the unintentionally funniest things I've ever seen in a theater happened at the first Avengers movie.

We were there opening night, we sat behind two adult men who were obviously very hardcore fans. Think Comic Book Guy from the Simpson's. They were REALLY into it the whole time.

Near the end of the movie as you'll recall, Loki a demi-god from a distant planet has opened a hole in space and the earth is under attack by aliens. Billionaire super hero Iron Man directs a nuclear bomb up into the hole in space which blows up the mothership and closes the hole killing all the aliens. The Avengers look to the sky in horror as they watch an unconscious Iron Man plummet to the ground. Right before he hits the ground, the Incredible Hulk jumps up and catches him and slows his fall to the ground by dragging down the side of some buildings.

Disgusted by the physics of that act (dragging down a building to stop Iron Man's fall), Comic Book Guy #1 leans over to Comic Book Guy #2 and says, "Pffft, like that could even happen."

They were okay with everything I said up to that point and then it was like, "Yeah Marvel, you've gone too far..."

I was in tears I was laughing so hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    How many post-credit scenes do we get?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smCNpC-tsHg

We watched "I, Tonya" on Netflix Saturday night. It was surprisingly good. I ended up feeling sorry for Tonya Harding. Supremely talented woman, tough life, got few breaks, and was let down by just about everyone she depended on. Also surrounded by a lot of fools.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    BTW, there are several scenes that are meant to get the audience excited. Each time they came on, the guy behind me would loudly holler, clap, and cheer. He also yelled out what the nod to the upcoming movie was during the post credits scene (OH!!!!! THATS ***** , YOU GUYS!) . Is this acceptable behavior in a theater? I say no. I think hearty laughter or an "ah!" or two is fine, but this crossed a line IMO. Curious what others thoughts are here.
    You are at a Superhero movie on opening night. Anything goes.

We watched the latest Avengers movie Friday night. All I can say is that if you have not watched all the prior Avengers movies, you won’t understand much of this movie. It was clearly very well done, but I was looking at my watch after 30 minutes.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    A Quiet Place, very intense, great movie!

Reminded me of M. Night Shamalan Signs or The Village

Yes, outstanding! Don't buy popcorn for this movie -- everyone can hear you eat.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Saw Solo. I had really low expectations based on the last Star Wars movie. I was very pleasantly surprised the whole way through. I enjoyed it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Saw Solo. I had really low expectations based on the last Star Wars movie. I was very pleasantly surprised the whole way through. I enjoyed it a lot.
    I liked it too. Certainly better than The Last Jedi.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    The Last Jedi was trapped by the sins of The Force Awakens. Two decisions have really hamstrung that series: (1) the decision to completely reboot the story instead of making an original story and (2) the decision to include the aged original characters.
    "I know! After the rebels blew up our first and second Death Star, let's make another BIGGER one, with similar vulnerabilities." I could however excuse the Force Awakens because it was a reboot of sorts of the franchise and an attempt to capture the old feel (although I agree with what you said).

Rogue One however I thought was excellent, in fact it might be my favorite Star Wars movie.

One clear indicator of how the fanboys think about this though is to look at them generationally. If you ask young people which is better of the series, the original or the prequels, they'll say the prequels. If you ask someone in their 40s or older they'll say the originals. The painful fact for most though is that Star Wars has always suffered from poor acting and annoying characters. C3PO = Jar Jar Binks. Luke whining, "You want the impossible!" = Anakin Skywalker, "From my point of view the Jedi are evil."

If you look at the negative reviews on Rotten Tomatoes from the audience (and even the professional critics) it is mostly coming from the fanboys, and people who are upset because their apple cart has been upset. If (the global) you are a passive 'fan' like me, you'll enjoy Solo I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I liked it too. Certainly better than The Last Jedi.

The funny thing is we were trying to see the new Avengers movie but got to the theater too late and had to settle for Solo. The Last Jedi was sooooo bad we didn’t intend to see Solo Glad we did!

Sicario Day of Soldado - excellent. One of my favorite movies this year. Better than the first Sicario imo

"The Last Movie You Saw" thread

Ant Man and The Wasp was awesome.

Mission Impossible Fallout - good movie, not great. They could have cut 45 minutes out of this movie and it would have been better.

Anybody who has kids who have made it thru eighth grade, or made it thru themselves, will love that movie. It is pitch perfect. A wonderful, wonderful movie.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Anybody who has kids who have made it thru eighth grade, or made it thru themselves, will love that movie. It is pitch perfect. A wonderful, wonderful movie.
    What movie are referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    What movie are referring to?
    Eighth Grade.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Eighth Grade.
    https://youtu.be/y8lFgF_IjPw

--Yeats

Widows - sort of a mystery, thriller, heist flick. I think I read where it is based off of a British TV show from the 70's.

If you can get through the first half of this movie setting up the story (which is a little slow), it has a very good second half. Rotten Tomatoes had it at 91%

Just watched “Tiinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy“ last night. Loved it. Gary Oldman is always a pleasure to watch.

--Yeats

After some serious super hero movie fatigue I took my son and his friends go see, "Into the Spider-verse" last night. The artwork and visuals are unbelievably great and the movie is just pure fun. I would call it "joyous". Might even be my favorite movie of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    After some serious super hero movie fatigue I took my son and his friends go see, "Into the Spider-verse" last night. The artwork and visuals are unbelievably great and the movie is just pure fun. I would call it "joyous". Might even be my favorite movie of the year.
    yea, that was a nice twist on Spiderman, I also liked it. It was odd, my wife and I went into that movie and felt like we were the oldest people in the theater. Conversely, we watched Clint Eastwood's the Mule this past week and felt like we were the youngest people there. The Mule is pretty good, but very slow. Its easily one of those movies you can wait till it comes out on DVD.

The Basis of Sex was an outstanding movie. It was good to see a lawyer do something admirable. Most of my association with lawyers has been a couple of you clowns on this forum.

Cold Pursuit - vigilante Liam Neeson takes revenge on his sons death. I liked it, but this movie couldn't decide what it wanted to be. Couple of times, my wife and I looked at each other puzzled by what we were watching. The final scene was funny, but bizarre. Takes place in Colorado and the Ute Indian tribe plays a prominent role in the films resolution.

Cold Pursuit - vigilante Liam Neeson takes revenge on his sons death. I liked it, but this movie couldn't decide what it wanted to be. Couple of times, my wife and I looked at each other puzzled by what we were watching. The final scene was funny, but bizarre. Takes place in Colorado and the Ute Indian tribe plays a prominent role in the films resolution.
    The original, In Order of Disappearance was great. But then I love anything that Stellan Skarsgard is in, even with subtitles.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Watched “Glass” over the weekend. Was much better than I expected. A superhero movie without all the over-the-top powers and skills.

My wife had me watch "About Time" a movie on Netflix. Great movie, loved it.

My wife had me watch "About Time" a movie on Netflix. Great movie, loved it.
    We loved it too. I'm telling all my friends about it too.

--Yeats

Saw "Captain Marvel" Saturday and really enjoyed it, very well done (although as usual in Marvel movies one must overlook the plot holes).

I don't plan to see the latest Avengers movie yet because I've only seen the most recent one and it made little sense to me because I hadn't seen all the earlier ones. That will probably take me a year or so....

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Saw "Captain Marvel" Saturday and really enjoyed it, very well done (although as usual in Marvel movies one must overlook the plot holes).

I don't plan to see the latest Avengers movie yet because I've only seen the most recent one and it made little sense to me because I hadn't seen all the earlier ones. That will probably take me a year or so....
    You could have gone to Megaplex last weekend. They showed every movie in a row over two days. Would have saved you time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro