Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Last Movie You Saw" thread

Hybrid View

"The Last Movie You Saw" thread

I watched "There Will Be Blood" last night and loved it. Daniel Day's commitment to his roles is impressive and always fun to watch. The lack of dialogue in certain scenes as well as the Johnny Greenwood composed music made for a suspenseful, foreboding film. I should also note that Paul Dano's performance was great as well...I didn't expect it. "I'll drink your milkshake."
    "75-10 the last two games? Is my math right? It's enough to make me reconsider my embrace of science over Christianity." --SU

"An intellectual says something simple in a hard way. An artist says something hard in a simple way." -Bukowski

I saw the 1998 non-musical version of Les Miserables with Liam Neeson and Geoffrey Rush. I enjoyed it far more than the most recent film adaptation.

Just watched Page Eight. Produced by the BBC in 2011. Spy story starring Bill Nighy as an aging MI5 agent who receives incriminating information about the British government/current Prime Minister. Also stars Ralph Fiennes and Rachel Weisz. It is currently playing on PBS - I linked it from the KUED website.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Finally went and took in "Wreck it Ralph"

Fun movie and really brought back some memories

I've seen more movies than usual lately. Quick comments:

"Man of Steel:" I always like Superman movie but this one gets a B-. I liked the variations on the Superman legend, but thought the fight scenes were interminably boring.

"World War Z:" I really liked this one. A smart sci-fi/apocalypse movie. Exciting too. I recommend it.

"Star Trek: Into Darkness:" Best Star Trek Movie yet.

"The Way, Way Back:" See my post from last night. I predict Oscar nominations.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Some movies I have seen recently:

Another Thin Man (1939) starring William Powell, Myrna Loy and Virginia Grey.

I like old movies, and the Thin Man movies are fantastic -- Powell and Loy are brilliant! -- so get over it. If the story is good and the acting is good, and etc, why should it matter when it was made or if it is in black and white or color?

Anyway, in this adaptation of Dashiell Hammett's "The Farewell Murder", Nick and Nora (plus Nick Jr. and their dog Asta) visit the estate of Col. MacFay, who is being threatened by a mysterious man wanting revenge for a past injustice. When MacFay is murdered, that man is the obvious suspect -- maybe too obvious.

--

Appaloosa (2008) starring Ed Harris, Vigo Mortensen and Renee Zelweger

Two friends hired to police a small town that is suffering under the rule of a rancher find their job complicated by the arrival of a young widow. Excellent.

--

The Singing Nun (1966) starring Debbie Reynolds, Ricardo Montalban and Greer Garson.

Young and inexperienced Sister Ann has just arrived at her next posting at Samaritan House, a Dominican order located in a disreputable neighborhood of Ghent, Belgium. Sister Ann's path takes a detour when the order's Father Clementi hears Sister Ann sing. He believes Sister Ann should record her music, this leads to a hit record and an appearance on Ed Sullivan. The story is loosely based on the life of Jeanine Deckers who, as Soeur Sourire ("Sister Smile"), had a #1 pop hit in America with "Dominique". "For some people," Father Clementi tells us, "joy is like a bird soaring above the clouds, it cannot be earthbound." Excellent.

--

Boys Town (1938) starring Spencer Tracy and Micky Rooney.

A story about Father Edward J. Flanagan's work with a group of underprivileged and delinquent boys in a home that he founded and named "Boys Town". Father Flanagan believes there is no such thing as a bad boy and spends his life attempting to prove it. He battles indifference, the legal system, and often the boys themselves, to build a sanctuary. The boys have their own government, make their own rules, and dish out their own punishment. Although the story is largely fictional, it is based upon a real man and a real place. Fantastic.

--

Midnight in Paris (2011) starring Owen Wilson; written and directed by Woody Allen.

Gil and Inez travel to Paris as a tag-along vacation on her parents' business trip. Gil is a successful Hollywood writer but is struggling on his first novel. He falls in love with the city and thinks they should move there after they get married, but Inez does not share his romantic notions of the city. Excellent.

--

Lincoln (2012) starring Daniel Day-Lewis, Tommy Lee Jones and Sally Field.

A very good look at the last months of Lincoln's presidency and his efforts to get a constitutional amendment banning slavery.

--

Zero Dark Thirty (2012) starring Jessica Chastain, Mark Strong and Joel Edgerton.

Excellent movie on the hunt for bin Laden. Mark Bowden (the author of Black Hawk Down) wrote in the afterward of the paperback edition of his book on the hunt for OBL, The Finish (which is also excellent, though not as good as Black Hawk Down), that this movie is mostly accurate, with just a few Hollywood discrepancies.

--

Star Trek: Into Darkness (2013) starring Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto and Benedict Cumberbatch.

Very good, but when I realized that they were turning an earlier trek movie onto its head it became a bit predictable.

--

Oz the Great and Powerful (2013) starring James Franco, Mila Kunis, Michelle Williams and Rachel Weisz.

A prequel to the Wizard of Oz telling the story of how a small-time magician became the wizard. Excellent.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Catching Fire. Started a little slow for me, but I enjoyed it overall.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

We saw it last night and I had about the same reaction. I may have enjoyed it more if I had read the books.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    We saw it last night and I had about the same reaction. I may have enjoyed it more if I had read the books.
    Saw it last night as well. Entertaining enough. Maybe the best thing to come out of the franchise is the soundtracks. I just made my wife promise that they're better than Twilight, and the first two have been significantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watched Another Earth over the weekend. Interesting concept, but I don't think they pulled it off very well.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Lewis is fantastic in that role........great movie.

-What would you do
    if you saw spaceships over Glasgow?
    Would you fear them?
    Every aircraft, every camera, is a wish that wasn't granted.

What was that for?
    Try to be bad.

Chasing Mavericks. It dragged in parts, but overall was a very good movie.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I watched "Beasts of the Southern Wild" last night. Incredible movie.
    http://www.corbettreport.com/

www.infowars.com

Finally saw "Life of Pi." Outstanding. My daughter (age 16) loved it so much she watched it again today on VuDu. Ang Lee deserved his Oscar.

--Yeats

I watched "The Client" a couple of nights ago just because I had never seen it. Sucked.
    "75-10 the last two games? Is my math right? It's enough to make me reconsider my embrace of science over Christianity." --SU

"An intellectual says something simple in a hard way. An artist says something hard in a simple way." -Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Finally saw "Life of Pi." Outstanding. My daughter (age 16) loved it so much she watched it again today on VuDu. Ang Lee deserved his Oscar.
    I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this. I thought it was outstanding too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this. I thought it was outstanding too.
    Ditto. I was not sure I'd like it.

--Yeats

Saw the new Oz movie tonight with the family. Really well done and a great family show

Watched "The Man From Earth." Very interesting premise, but horribly executed: awful scene transitions, gratuitous ending, complete lack of chemistry among the cast members. Only the basic idea behind the film allowed me to finish it, a 17,000 year old man (due to a genetic anomaly), his life experiences, and some commentary on how humans interpret events for their own purposes.
    Life is not a zero-sum game - we can all succeed together, and we can all be better off for it

Did a Redbox marathon.

"Looper"--the time-travel isn't perfect, but I'm a sucker for Rian Johnson.

"Celeste and Jesse Forever"--Rashida Jones and Andy Samberg show terrific chemistry. It evoked some strong emotions at times.

"Zero Dark Thirty"--long, and maybe a little trite, but Jessica Chastain is brilliant, and the last 30 minutes are riveting.

watched "The Words" with Jeremy Irons, Dennis Quaid and that actor from Limitless and the Hangover movies (can't recall his name). Jeremy Irons is brilliant. One of the best movies I have seen this year.

I really liked this movie and would recommend it. Mystery/Drama about a struggling writer and his choice about keeping or sacrificing his integrity.
    Last edited by Scorcho; 03-24-2013 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    watched "The Words" with Jeremy Irons, Dennis Quaid and that actor from Limitless and the Hangover movies (can't recall his name). Jeremy Irons is brilliant. One of the best movies I have seen this year.

I really liked this movie and would recommend it. Mystery/Drama about a struggling writer and his choice about keeping or sacrificing his integrity.
    We really enjoyed The Words as well. I'm becoming a big Bradley Cooper fan.

We took the kids to the drive-in on friday night to watch the Croods. It was a cute movie with a few quoatable lines, "release the baby!" The kids enjoyed it despite the down pour of rain.

The second feature was Oblivion. Boring movie, with a absolutely predictable plot. Tom cruise played his typical character and did it well, but I could hardly stay awake to finish it.

I saw The Great Gatsby this weekend. I have never read the book. I really enjoyed the movie. Beautifully done. I plan on buying it on DVD when it comes out.

Star Trek Into Darkness in IMax 3D. Superb. It helps that I am a huge fan of Benedict Cumberbatch.
    Last edited by Katy Lied; 05-23-2013 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Hah! LA UTe corrected the spelling of Cumberbatch's name.i Oh that's funny. Thanks for the edit, but why?

I saw "Elvis and Annabelle." Surprisingly good. Joe Mantegna in an unexpected role.

I'm eager to see the new Star Trek movie. Who would've thought that Star Trek movies would get better and better, while Star Wars movies got worse and worse?

--Yeats

Saw Lincoln on DVD and am ashamed to admit it was an absolute snoozer. Boring boring boring. Could not figure out why I hated it so much but yuck.

On the other hand, despite my well known dislike for Matthew McConaughey, I went and saw Mud. What an utterly charming movie. It reminded me strongly of Sling Blade, or A Perfect World, with Kevin Costner. It has that deliberate pacing.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    Saw Lincoln on DVD and am ashamed to admit it was an absolute snoozer. Boring boring boring. Could not figure out why I hated it so much but yuck.

On the other hand, despite my well known dislike for Matthew McConaughey, I went and saw Mud. What an utterly charming movie. It reminded me strongly of Sling Blade, or A Perfect World, with Kevin Costner. It has that deliberate pacing.
    I thought you liked Lincoln. Oh, well. Now I do want to see Mud.

--Yeats

I thought Skyfall was OK, and more interesting than any Bond film I have seen in a long time. The plot got a little stretchy toward the end, but it was a Bond movie, after all.

I thought Despicable Me 2 was pretty boring.

RED 2 was a big disappointment too. Booooring!

--Yeats

Watched "For Love of the Game" with my wife and daughter tonight. It's a rare hat trick: chick flick, baseball movie, and good story all rolled into one. We liked it.

--Yeats

I finally got around to watching "The Town" and really enjoyed it. I cannot say the same for "Tinker Tailor Solider Spy."