Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast

Thread: "The Last Movie You Saw" thread

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    We have Patton on film, he sounded nothing like George C. Scott, having a higher-pitched voice.

It is hard to imagine any voice but the gravely GCS baritone saying "Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    It is hard to imagine any voice but the gravely GCS baritone saying "Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

One of the best opening scenes/speeches

My 10yo daughter asked me to go and see “The Greatest Showman” with her last night and who can turn down a date with someone as beautiful as her? The movie was awful but I had fun watching her enjoy it instead and thinking about how quick she is growing up and won’t want to do things like that with me soon.

Grumpy old man review: Avoid it.

10yo girl review: It was great! Can we buy it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mudbound on Netflix is really good, esp. for you Mike Ehrmantraut fans.
    Last edited by concerned; 01-26-2018 at 09:06 AM.

"The Last Movie You Saw" thread

I pretty much agree with this guy.

Three Reasons I Won't Be Talking About The Oscars

https://pjmedia.com/andrewklavan/thr...alking-oscars/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I pretty much agree with this guy.

Three Reasons I Won't Be Talking About The Oscars

https://pjmedia.com/andrewklavan/thr...alking-oscars/
    I stopped watching awards show long before they became controversial. Awards show are too long and I have better things to do.

Hostiles - solid B if you like westerns.

I saw 12 Strong on Saturday, it was excellent. Now I've got to read the book to see how accurate it is.

Went with my wife to see "Black Panther" last night. As an unapologetic Marvel homer, I really enjoyed it. Visually, it was as impressive as it had been hyped up to be. The story was well written, if predictable at parts. The thing that I loved was the casting. This cast was terrific. There are so many marvel movies now that its hard for me to put down an order, but this was certainly up there.

"Hacksaw Ridge" is still great.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

"The Last Movie You Saw" thread

Black Panther was awesome.

1517 to Paris. AWFUL. A total waste of a couple hours. It’s slow, hardly touches on the actual attack and that’s all made worse by using the actual people involved...this movie needed decent acting to save it. I honestly wouldn’t even rebox it.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I haven't seen it yet, but Marvel is the top story of Hollywood in the past decade. They just keep making movies that almost everyone likes. No other studio/franchise has ever done anything like this. Pixar was close for a while, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post

1517 to Paris. AWFUL. A total waste of a couple hours. It’s slow, hardly touches on the actual attack and that’s all made worse by using the actual people involved...this movie needed decent acting to save it. I honestly wouldn’t even rebox it.

I read a quote about 1517 to Paris that said something like, “Eastwood used the actual people to play the parts who never had acted before. That record remains clean...”

watched Annihilation last night Its a mystery sci-fi drama starring Natalie Portman.

it was okay, not great, 6 out 10

Additionally, one of the trailers is for Red Sparrow starring Jennifer Lawrence. I like Jennifer Lawrence but her Russian accent in the previews is so bad I can't imagine I'll be able to watch that show.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I like Jennifer Lawrence
    But why? All I've seen is Hunger Games, Joy, and American Hustle, and I just don't get the JLaw hype. Oh, and the X-Men movies, which are so so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    But why? All I've seen is Hunger Games, Joy, and American Hustle, and I just don't get the JLaw hype. Oh, and the X-Men movies, which are so so bad.
    did you ever see the movie Passengers where she was in a space inducted coma? brilliant acting performance she can sleep act like no other

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Check out Winter’s Bone if your in the mood for a depressing experience but with great acting by Ms Lawrence.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Check out Winter’s Bone if your in the mood for a depressing experience but with great acting by Ms Lawrence.
    I couldn’t get through that whole movie.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    That and Silver Lining Playbook are great. I didn’t really like her in anything else I have seen her in.

I saw 12 Strong on Saturday, it was excellent. Now I've got to read the book to see how accurate it is.
    I finished the book on Sunday. As usual, the movie is full of Hollywood embellishments. However, while there is much compression and compositioning of people and events, nothing is flat out made up like in the second half American Sniper. The final. climactic battle in 12 Strong did happen, just not in the way it was portrayed, necessarily.

Darkest Hour is out on DVD -- bought me a copy today. I can't wait to watch this fantastic movie again.

Darkest Hour is out on DVD -- bought me a copy today. I can't wait to watch this fantastic movie again.
    Best movie I’ve seen in the last year, maybe two.

--Yeats

A Quiet Place, very intense, great movie!

Reminded me of M. Night Shamalan Signs or The Village

Chappaquiddick - I give it 3 raspberries, 2 lemons and a squash. Which translated means a giant MEH!

The only premise of this movie was to show what a complete weenie Ted Kennedy was/is, which I already suspected/knew going in. I love historical pieces but this one had no chutzpah whatsoever.

The one bright spot was Jim Gaffigan playing the US District attorney from Massachusetts. He managed to make this serious role somewhat comedic just from his mannerisms.

Not a movie, but the Andre the Giant documentary on HBO that aired last night was excellent. Lots of really cool insights into the early days of professional wrestling and how it became the mega machine it is today. Andre was a major, major part of that. Pretty humble guy, and could out drink everyone. Lots of really good info on his condition and his health right up until the end of his life. Highly recommend.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Saw "Infinity War" on opening day. I think those folks who have faithfully watched every movie over the years will really enjoy the payoffs in this movie, if leaving the theater feeling nearly every emotion, good and bad.

I think those with marvel fatigue will not enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Saw "Infinity War" on opening day. I think those folks who have faithfully watched every movie over the years will really enjoy the payoffs in this movie, if leaving the theater feeling nearly every emotion, good and bad.

I think those with marvel fatigue will not enjoy it.
    How many post-credit scenes do we get?
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

You have to wait until after every last credit has scrolled by to get the post credit scene. Its an interesting nod to a) some characters that didn't make it into the regular movie b) how the events of the movie impacted them and c) an upcoming marvel movie.

BTW, there are several scenes that are meant to get the audience excited. Each time they came on, the guy behind me would loudly holler, clap, and cheer. He also yelled out what the nod to the upcoming movie was during the post credits scene (OH!!!!! THATS ***** , YOU GUYS!) . Is this acceptable behavior in a theater? I say no. I think hearty laughter or an "ah!" or two is fine, but this crossed a line IMO. Curious what others thoughts are here.