Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Last Movie You Saw" thread

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    ......but that require me to go back and watch Man of Steel, and I am not interested in putting myself through that again.
    Funny, I watched the youtube Rocker posted and kept saying to myself, I don't remember that scene, when did that happen. I really enjoyed the first 20-25 minutes of the back story, but once he put on the superman suit I lost all interest and cannot even remember the rest of the movie. I loved the Batman movies, so I am looking forward to this new movie, but know I will have to grin-and-bear-it through the superman scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I love how superman screams and strains to lift something or move something, then at another point he's able to move or lift somethng else that's hundreds of times heavier than what he was straining to move before. So what is it, Kal-El?

I took it as more of an emotional release.

We're getting a head start on awards season. Just saw Amy (Best Feature Documentary) last Sunday, Inside Out (Animated Feature) the week before and Love & Mercy before that. Also have on-demanded a couple we missed from last year, Big Eyes and Ida.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I also watched 'Hurt Locker' finally. It was okay, but I don't get the hype it received at the time. Maybe movies like Zero Dark Thirty, American Sniper and Lone Survivor have jaded me towards this type of film.
    This article rates Hurt Locker as the 10th most truly inaccurate war films:

http://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-...ig-screen.html

The Hurt Locker follows an elite team of bomb disposal experts in Iraq. While the movie is an excellent human drama, many scenes are implausibly melodramatic in their depiction of combat. Veterans who watched the movie aimed particular criticism at the character of Sergeant James. His defusing of 870 bombs during his career was seen as unbelievable, since in a typical tour of duty, it would require him to deal with around three improvised explosive devices (IEDs) a day.

The character was also criticized for putting the lives of his men at risk by failing to follow proper procedure. The three-man squad is shown routinely operating without support in hostile environments – and engaging in sniper battles and combat – while individuals are shown being insubordinate to superior officers.

Former British bomb disposal officer Guy Marot said, “James makes us look like hot-headed, irrational adrenaline junkies with no self-discipline. It’s immensely disrespectful to the many officers who have lost their lives.”
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    This article rates Hurt Locker as the 10th most truly inaccurate war films:

http://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-...ig-screen.html
    I really did not like Hurt Locker. Just from the standpoint of story-telling I thought it was poorly done.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    When I heard Pixar was remaking "Herman's Head," I had an idea of what the movie would more or less be. We finally saw it, and it fit my image in a good way. Pixar does a great job of being very original within their formula. They also do a pretty good job of walking the kid/parent line in their films. This one leans toward the adult side, but there were still enough good laughs for the kids.
    I agree with you, but surprisingly my kids loved it, particularly my short-attention-spanned 4yo. This is the first movie she has sat through that she didn't request to go home about 3/4 of the way through, so I think it connected well with kids too.

From the list, I can see no correlation between accuracy of a war film and quality of a war film. Maybe if we had a "most accurate" list.
    My most accurate list:

1. Tora Tora Tora

3. We Were Soldiers

5. Midway

7. Bridges at Toko Ri

No other movie qualifies.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    My most accurate list:

1. Tora Tora Tora

3. We Were Soldiers

5. Midway

7. Bridges at Toko Ri

No other movie qualifies.
    What! Not "The Bridge Over the River Kwai??"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Is Birdman worth watching?
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I finally watched it over the weekend. I enjoyed it immensely. The blending of reality with fantasy, without any defined clues as to which is real, made the movie a real mindbender.

Of note, there are only 16 cut edits in the entire movie. From a technical perspective that is outstanding and it gives the movie a very life-like feeling. It just flows from one scene to the next. This would have been incredibly difficult for the actors. (FTR, the trailer for the movie contained 34 cuts).

You know one of those movies that has all of the elements of a movie that you'd really like, but you don't? That was Birdman for me. Obviously the awards it has received means lots of people disagree with me, and maybe I just caught it on a bad day but I give it 2 stars... out of 4.5.

I loved it. I want to watch it again to digest it better.

Watched Nightcrawler and Blue Velvet. Both very odd films that had sparks of intrigue and suspense but I cannot recommend anyone actually watch them.

The Judge - A bit long. Took a while to sort of tie it all together, but I really enjoyed it. Particularly the acting in the courtroom scenes with Downy Jr. and Robert Duval. In fact, I found the whole movie to be well acted, which is why it made it somewhat tolerable to get through all of the sidetracks etc...

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I saw Mission Impossible last week. Really fun movie despite my continued hatred towards Tom Cruise. Some good plot twists, you spend some time wondering who to trust. Worth seeing in the theaters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to get over this. All he does is make good movies.
    http://youtu.be/lWLFD0EupvI

Saw Straight Outta Compton, The Gift and an early preview of No Escape this week.

Enjoyed all 3

"The Last Movie You Saw" thread

I saw "No Escape" yesterday and thought it was a terrible movie. It was exciting for a while but after it becomes clear that the whole movie is about escaping from mindless Southeast Asian killers who want to slaughter every foreigner in sight, there's only is much the director and actors can do with that. Other than the escape from the bad guys and the constant peril to the easygoing dad and mom and their two adorable daughters, there's no real plot, no character development, and an eyeroll-producing bit of preaching from one of the main characters about how America is controlled by evil corporations and they have created the ruthless killers in the movie. Don't waste your time and money on this one.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-08-2015 at 05:16 PM.

--Yeats

Minions. Had the theater to ourselves. Kids were glued and both my wife and I fell asleep at some point.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

We´ve seen two recently, and recommend them both.

"The Martian," last weekend. We liked it. Matt Damon does a good job and although the movie´s pretty long it didn´t feel that way.

"Bridge of Spies," last night. We liked it a lot. Having grown up in the Cold War I found it especially interesting, despite the moral relativism arguments that popped out here and there. A great story, well told.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-01-2015 at 01:52 PM.

--Yeats

I read The Martian last weekend and look forward to watching the movie.

Rewatched "It Might Get Loud" with Jimmy Page, The Edge and Jack White. I LOOOOOVE the part when Jimmy shows the other two how to play "Whole Lotta Love." Like 2 kids in a candy store. They're so freakin' happy. This, and The Last Waltz are my favorite rock movies.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Took the fam to see The Good Dinosaur over Thanksgiving weekend.

Not Pixar's best, but still a good show. Especially if you like Wyoming scenery.

From a computer graphics standpoint, their outdoor scenes are amazing.

My wife and I saw "Brooklyn" tonight. Highly recommended. Here's a review:

http://variety.com/2015/film/festiva...yn-1201419559/

And here's the trailer:

http://www.foxsearchlight.com/brooklyn/

If you're in Salt Lake, it's playing at the Broadway Center Theaters.

--Yeats

We just saw "The Good Dinosaur" which was appropriately not named "The Great Dinosaur". It is interesting because the characters are intentionally cartoonish but the scenery for it is so good it looks real most of the time, so it almost has a 'Pete's Dragon' sort of an effect where it feels like they transposed CGI onto real footage.

LA Ute might be the only one that cares, but I watched The Little Prince with my kids over the weekend. The one that comes out in two months. My wife found it on her favorite Russian movie store and downloaded it. An interesting way to capture the magic of the book. The mom was a little over the top to drive the point home, but I thought over all it was well done with nice animation that capture's de Saint Exupery's original sketches. I proposed to my wife with a special 50th Anniversary copy of the book that I had bought ten years earlier, so I was pleased that the movie didn't detract from the book nearly as much as it could have. I'm curious to see how it will play out in America. (It's been making the rounds through other countries for about a year now, thus the available download and the Spanish title that we watched. I definitely recommend it.

Who wouldn't care about the little prince?
    Me

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Me

I just like the quote.

--Yeats

This happens tonight.

Deadpool was awesome.

It is every bit of its R Rating and its glorious.