Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Last Movie You Saw" thread

Milk.

First time watching it. This was a decent movie, but the acting and the writing were top notch.

Sean Penn, Josh Brolin, James Franco, and Victor Garber were excellent.

And fantastic writing by Dustin Lance Black.

Sean Penn and DLB earned their Oscars.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Captain America: Civil War

Another great movie from Marvel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've mentioned my massive burnout on super hero movies, but I actually enjoyed this one.

The Revenant. I've had a good run with movies lately....the walk, big short, spotlight.....to name a few, and this one continues the trend, but, the constant effort to stay alive was draining.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Big Fish. I watched it when it came out, and was somewhat underwhelmed.

But I watched it again over the weekend. Amazing story, beautiful cinematography, and simply a stunningly brilliant piece of art. Tim Burton is one of a kind.

My wife and I are on the verge of losing parents. This made the movie all the more poignant.

Ewan McGregor, Albert Finney, Jessica Lange, Billy Crudup, and Helena Bonham Carter fantastic. They delivered very natural and realistic performances to an entirely fanciful alternate reality, where tall tales only serve to add flavor to the actual stories in life.

This is a beautiful, poignant movie and is worth a second look.

(Note: Steven Spielberg and Jack Nicholson were originally signed on for this movie, but backed out due to schedule conflicts. I'd those two had made this movie it would have been a blockbuster, rather than a quirky, feel-good movie)

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Big Fish. I watched it when it came out, and was somewhat underwhelmed.

But I watched it again over the weekend. Amazing story, beautiful cinematography, and simply a stunningly brilliant piece of art. Tim Burton is one of a kind.

My wife and I are on the verge of losing parents. This made the movie all the more poignant.

Ewan McGregor, Albert Finney, Jessica Lange, Billy Crudup, and Helena Bonham Carter fantastic. They delivered very natural and realistic performances to an entirely fanciful alternate reality, where tall tales only serve to add flavor to the actual stories in life.

This is a beautiful, poignant movie and is worth a second look.

(Note: Steven Spielberg and Jack Nicholson were originally signed on for this movie, but backed out due to schedule conflicts. I'd those two had made this movie it would have been a blockbuster, rather than a quirky, feel-good movie)
    This is one of my favorite movies and has one of my favorite jokes in it:

It also has this beautiful song. I challenge anybody to listen to this song, contemplate the lyric, and keep the tears from flowing.

I watched Spectre on an airplane last weekend on my way to the East Coast. I enjoyed it, and was surprised at how good it is. It even has some good comedic moments. It was nothing like what I expected.

"It's men in shorts." -- Rick Majerus

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMoon1211 View Post
    Knight and Day
    How was it?

I saw X-Men Apocalypse tonight. It was pretty awful.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I saw X-Men Apocalypse tonight. It was pretty awful.

That's an x-men tradition. So many bad movies!

Made my bi-annual trip to the theatre today. Took the granddaughter to see Finding Dori. It was ok, not as good as Finding Nemo IMO, but I am not an officionado of kids movies.

I am am just not entertained enough by movies to pay the prices they are asking for these days. Today's was a freeby from my wife's work, except for the $18.00 for popcorn and two drinks.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Made my bi-annual trip to the theatre today. Took the granddaughter to see Finding Dori. It was ok, not as good as Finding Nemo IMO, but I am not an officionado of kids movies.

I am am just not entertained enough by movies to pay the prices they are asking for these days. Today's was a freeby from my wife's work, except for the $18.00 for popcorn and two drinks.
    Is there a way to index an investment on the price of theater food? I usually don't buy anything but each time I look at the prices I am shocked to see essentially a $1 Big Gulp costing $6.

The ticket prices pay for the rights to show the movie, with just about enough left over to pay the light bill and hopefully cover part of the payroll.

Concessions are the only place movie theaters make any money.

I finally watched Bridge of Spies. That was an emotional movie and it did an interesting job of depicting the tensions of the cold war, and also highlighted the struggle by the GDR to gain some sort of respect in the world and to curry favor with the USSR. It also showed the cruelty with which they enforced the borders, and the relative confusion in that part of the world only 15 years removed from WWII.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post

Also seen Finding Dory yesterday with my kids. Not bad by any stretch but not as fun as Finding Nemo. Seemed like it tried to hard to hammer on certain emotional beats rather than just having fun as a movie for kids. It did have its moments, but I think it will be relatively quickly forgotten as far as Disney Pixar movies go.

The night before watching Bridge of Spies I watched the German film, The Lives of Others. This movie won a long string of awards, including the Oscar for Best foreign language film in~2006.

The movie was profoundly disturbing. The setting is East Berlin in 1984. The main character is a Stasi interrogator who is ordered to spy on a pro-GDR playwright (played by the actor who was Vogel in Bridge of Spies) and his actress girlfriend. The Stasi agent bugged the apartment, set up recording equipment in the attic, and records everything that happens over many months in an attempt/fishing expedition to find some crime to charge him with.

Over there course of the investigation the Stasi agent learns the playwright and his girlfriend are not criminals, and that the investigation was ordered by a high ranking government official who wanted to get the playwright out of the scene so he could coerce the actress girlfriend into an affair with him.

The agent becomes disillusioned with the manner in which the Stasi use their power to destroy peoples' lives with impunity. And it also showed the dehumanizing effect the surveillance and interrogations will have on the subjects, as well as on the interrogators themselves.

watched The Shallows last night, good film

its a shark movie. The cinematography in the first 30 minutes of this film is incredible. I liked it, 7 out of 10.

"The Last Movie You Saw" thread

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    watched The Shallows last night, good film

its a shark movie. The cinematography in the first 30 minutes of this film is incredible. I liked it, 7 out of 10.
    I forgot to post here that I saw that last weekend and really liked it too. I was home alone for the weekend, and this movie seemed like the only decent one available at my local cineplex, so I decided to give it 15 minutes. I was going to leave if it turned out to be really bad. To my surprise, it turned out to be the opposite: a very enjoyable movie. It is not Shakespeare, but is an interesting story about one young woman resourcefully battling an impossible situation. Yes, some suspension of disbelief was necessary, but after all, this is a movie! Blake Lively showed that she's a decent actor, too. She is in almost every frame and is pretty much the only actor, like Sandra Bullock is in "Gravity," and has to carry the movie. I recommend this one.

Trailer:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vPOpE-_42as
    Last edited by LA Ute; 07-03-2016 at 09:42 AM.

--Yeats

Watched Ghostbusters and Star Trek at the drive-in with the family last night.

Ghostbusters was cute. It had some funny one-liners and physical comedy. I think they tried to use CG to make up for a lite script. I don't think it was a good as the original but still a fun watch.

This Star Trek was directed by the dude that has done the Fast and Furious movies. It feels like it. Lots of destruction, obsurd stunts, loud noises, ridiculous plot, and great music. It was still fun but now where near as good as the first two movies.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

My daughter wanted to see ""Finding Dory" so I somewhat grudgingly went along. I was surprised and delighted at how much I liked it. There were many genuinely funny laugh-out-loud moments and the music was great. Ellen de Generes is really a fine voice actor.

--Yeats

Literally nodded off during Suicide Squad last night. Other than some outstanding music -- horrible.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Literally nodded off during Suicide Squad last night. Other than some outstanding music -- horrible.
    Joe Morgenstern's review ended with this:

"A case can be made for the movie being a good fit with the mood of the moment in what passes for real life. If that’s true, we’re all in deeper trouble than we know, and audiences may well embrace the incessant mayhem in lieu of entertainment. But a stronger case can be made for 'Suicide Squad' as a product of shameless pandering. 'Got me a sewer to crawl back into,' says Killer Croc with lizardly satisfaction toward the end. He’s got nothing on the movie, which was in the sewer all along."

http://www.wsj.com/articles/suicide-...42658?mod=e2fb

--Yeats

Anybody who casts Jared Leto as the Joker and then has to spend the next year trying to convince everyone how amazing Leto is by touting his bizarre off screen behavior is going to screw up this movie.

The Little Prince is excellent (and available on Netflix).

We saw "Florence Foster Jenkins" today. Meh. If you really love watching Meryl Streep act, you might enjoy this one. I kind of want those two hours back. When I watch a movie I need to find a character I like or care about and I couldn't do that with this one.

Trailer:

https://youtu.be/YZIcytIS2fg

The trailer is better than the movie.

--Yeats

For a movie with compelling characters that you identify with, and a thrilling plot, Sausage Party is the movie of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    For a movie with compelling characters that you identify with, and a thrilling plot, Sausage Party is the movie of the year.
    Seth Rogen’s animated food movie ‘Sausage Party’ accused of racism

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...ed-racism.html

Not sure what this is all about, not having seen the movie.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Seth Rogen’s animated food movie ‘Sausage Party’ accused of racism

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...ed-racism.html

Not sure what this is all about, not having seen the movie.
    I meant that as Trump style sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I meant that as Trump style sarcasm.
    LOL. I was just ignorant of what the movie's all about.

--Yeats

In the spirit of Halloween, we watched Ghostbusters last night. It was ok. Had some funny moments, but overall I'd give it a C, maybe C+/B-?
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.