Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Last Movie You Saw" thread

My wife and I have decided to "educate" each other in the nostalgic movies that we missed out on because of Hollywood's conservative gender stereotyping. First up: I had to watch "Say Anything." It wasn't bad - John Cusack seems like a good dude. It also had some great 80s date scenes (calling on the landline, leaving a message, awkward conversation with dad at the front door, etc).

I'm up next: Back to the Future III!

I was out sick yesterday (still sick today but back to work) and watched 'Iron Monkey' on netflix. If you like kung-fu movies, then it is a must see. Very fun, even when you are sick and riding high on nyquil. It is from the early nineties and apparently Tarantino had some influence on the movie.

Finally watched the new Hunger Games movie. It was pretty slow for a while and finally picked up a little in the last 40 or so minutes. I'm sure part II will have more action. Also, a bummer that Phillip Seymour Hoffman is no longer with us.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Banned
    Not so patiently waiting until the 16th for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    Not so patiently waiting until the 16th for this.

Already have plans to see it next weekend. Cannot wait.

I just watched the 100 foot journey. Really enjoyed it. My kids watched it as well, which surprised me with 3 boys. They compared it against dumb and dumber and still think DD is a superior movie. But they sat and watched all 2 hours of this flick, which impressed me.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_H...ney_%28film%29

Just watched, Interstellar. Absolutely loved it. Fantastic. Loved the use of sound, silence, music in the film. Made me want to hug my kids with all of my heart. Love is truly the greatest thing humanity has to offer.

It is official. I have my tickets for Age of Ultron on opening weekend. Cant wait! Might be the biggest opening weekend ever. Usually, I avoid premiers like the plague because I hate crowds, but this one is worth it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Yes. Marvel has done a great job making fun movies. Too bad DC and whoever makes Xmen movies haven't followed suit.

I read yet another whiny movie critic complaining about how many comic book movies there are nowadays, and I felt like asking him if he has a problem with how many tedious biopics there are nowadays.
    I think you nailed the key word there....."fun". DC/WB studios seems to take it way too seriously for my taste. X-men suffered from having a plan and then scrapping it and adding to it. Marvel has had this thing outlined from the very beginning. "Guardians of the Galaxy" was a group of heroes that id bet more than 90% of the country had not heard of prior to the movie. And Marvel turned it into the surprise hit of 2014. And I have to wonder..........all else being equal, and the guys from DC/WB or Fox do that one...........no way it gets anywhere near that.....

BTW, we live in a world where the latest transformers movie grossed more than a billion dollars to "win" 2014........what a world..........

Around the corner from my house is my 'movie buddy' who is a man about my age with Down Syndrome. We go to movies together because my wife hates going to movies and because he is awesome. He often has 'subtle' ways of letting me know when it is time to go to a movie again. The latest one came in the form of a birthday card that he drew a picture of me on it with the caption, "Happy Birthday to my movie buddy. Tomorrow, April 18th 2015 I want to go to the 7:30 showing of Furious 7. In May I want to go and see Avengers."

I clued into the hint and we saw Furious 7 at the revamped Cinemark in Sugarhouse. They have reclining leather seats and it doesn't smell like comic book nerd crotch sweat anymore. I will be seeing all future movies here.

With low expectations I can say it was a pretty fun movie. At the end they paid a sort of in movie tribute to the late Paul Walker, and yes people in the theater were crying. Knowing that he had passed part of the suspense of the movie was figuring out where they would kill him. I won't tell you how that all works out as I'm sure this is a big Furious 7 sort of crowd.

I give it a solid "See it in the theaters matinee and smuggle in your own treats" rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    They have reclining leather seats and it doesn't smell like comic book nerd crotch sweat anymore.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I watched Jersey Boys and Lone Survivor over the last several days. Enjoyed both, though obviously for very different reasons.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I am in a hotel in between meetings and decided to watch "Tak3en." I'm about 1/3 of the way through and can already say it's the worst movie I've seen in a long time. Don't waste any money or time on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Saw "Avengers: Age of Ultron" over the weekend. Really enjoyed it. To me, it lacked the magic and spark of the first one, but still a very enjoyable and fun movie. When it comes to "Phase 2" of the MCU, I would rank it solidly ahead of Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World, but behind Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy.

Also, read that it underperformed on opening weekend by 20-25 million. I saw it on friday night and was surprised to find the theater at only ~60-70% capacity.

Marvel movie baseball:

Home Run: Avengers, Iron Man
    Triple: Guardians of the Galaxy
    Double: Thor, Captain America, Captain America 2
    Single: Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, Thor 2

My brother says Ultron is a solid double. You agree with that?
    Yep, I would agree completely. There was a lot of laughs, a few "woah!" moments and what not, but leaving the theater, I didn't want to immediately go buy another ticket and see it again; something I have felt leaving some of the others.

Guardians is a home run. Period end of story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marvel movie baseball:

Home Run: Avengers, Iron Man, Guardians of the Galaxy
    Triple:
    Double: Thor, Captain America, Captain America 2
    Single: Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, Thor 2

My brother says Ultron is a solid double. You agree with that?
    I actually like Captain America 2. It is way better than the first. I would put it in the triple range.

We saw "The Woman in Gold" and really enjoyed it. You'll probably need to find an art house to see it. Well worth the time and price of admission.

--Yeats

How bout DC:

Home Run: Dark Knight
    Triple:
    Double: Batman Begins
    Single: Dark Knight Rises, Superman
    Strike out: Green Lantern
    Batman begins was great. Easily a solid triple. I agree on the rest.

Batman Begins is good enough to draw me in when it is in TV. But it loses points for Batman having such a horrible, stick in the mud girlfriend.
    Well if we are judging a movie by the superhero's damsel in distress, then you better bump up your rating of the Green Lantern. Blake Lively =

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Well if we are judging a movie by the superhero's damsel in distress, then you better bump up your rating of the Green Lantern. Blake Lively =
    That emoticon in that context made me laugh
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

i finally got around to watching Django Unchained. Meh. I guess I'm weird but the only QT movies I've liked are Reservoir Dogs and Inglorious Basterds. That's right, Pulp Fiction is also a solid Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    i finally got around to watching Django Unchained. Meh. I guess I'm weird but the only QT movies I've liked are Reservoir Dogs and Inglorious Basterds. That's right, Pulp Fiction is also a solid Meh.
    I agree. I've never been too impressed with QT.

That being said, I've seen Inglorious Basterds a bunch of times. Love Pitt's accent.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Guardians is a home run. Period end of story.
    I agree. And GotG is the only home run they've had, and it was quite possibly a grand slam. I'd consider the best of the rest (Avengers, Cap 2, Iron Man) all good, solid, stand up triples.

I know I'm alone, but I've liked the Thor movies more than most. Doubles, threatening to be triples before being checked down. Same with the Incredible Hulk. While I think Ruffalo has been a pleasant surprise, I though Norton did a great job. They couldn't be two more different takes on Banner, but both solid.

There are several of the Marvel movies I've not bothered with. I couldn't finish IM2, and didn't even bother with IM3.

Warning: rant ahead...

As a bit of a Spider-man fan, I've been disappointed to see what a cluster-suck that franchise has become. I was not a fan of McGuire's casting, I thought he did a good job in the first movie. Kirsten Dunst as MJ? Stupid. Totally wrong. But Raimi just slaughtered the Green Goblin - way to make the coolest Spidey villain so lame. The sequal had a great Doc Oc, but everything else started getting stupid culminating in a third installment that should have never happened. Whoever cast Topher Grace as Venom should be shot in the head. And the Garfield Amazing Spider-man movies...ughhhhh... Where does Sony/Marvel go from here? Sadly, Marvel's most popular hero has been mismanaged into the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by FountainOfUte View Post
    As a bit of a Spider-man fan, I've been disappointed to see what a cluster-suck that franchise has become. I was not a fan of McGuire's casting, I thought he did a good job in the first movie. Kirsten Dunst as MJ? Stupid. Totally wrong. But Raimi just slaughtered the Green Goblin - way to make the coolest Spidey villain so lame. The sequal had a great Doc Oc, but everything else started getting stupid culminating in a third installment that should have never happened. Whoever cast Topher Grace as Venom should be shot in the head. And the Garfield Amazing Spider-man movies...ughhhhh... Where does Sony/Marvel go from here? Sadly, Marvel's most popular hero has been mismanaged into the ground.
    A perky Ms. Dunst in the rain is the best thing about that movie!

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Saw "Avengers: Age of Ultron" over the weekend. Really enjoyed it. To me, it lacked the magic and spark of the first one, but still a very enjoyable and fun movie. When it comes to "Phase 2" of the MCU, I would rank it solidly ahead of Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World, but behind Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy.

Also, read that it underperformed on opening weekend by 20-25 million. I saw it on friday night and was surprised to find the theater at only ~60-70% capacity.
    At $650M worldwide (quoted from quarterly report yesterday), its hard to believe that $20M-$25M is even noticeable.

I thought it was above average.

Quote Originally Posted by FountainOfUte View Post
    I am anxious to see what happens with Spidey. He is my favorite comic book character, so I was really excited to see him join the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I am anxious to see what happens with Spidey. He is my favorite comic book character, so I was really excited to see him join the MCU.
    I'm also excited to see him in Civil War. I read that they will have spidey be younger, still in high school. Also, that they won't reboot him, thank heavens.

I'm excited to see this younger, mouthier spidey.

Just watched Mad Max. Terrible. Really disappointed.

"The Age of Adaline." Another small movie. Good, and thought-provoking.

--Yeats