Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Last Movie You Saw" thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Just watched Mad Max. Terrible. Really disappointed.
    You are the first person I've seen not like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think my expectations were too high. Max's car plays little to no part in the show. The plot is completely lacking. Max has no charisma in the show. Mel Gibson's Mad Max was someone you cheered for, while this Max you really don't care about that much about. If you keep your expectations low you will be entertained, but i expected a lot more out of it.

I saw Mad Max yesterday and Avengers today... hated both of them. Of course I'm not that much into movies so two in two days is way too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I think my expectations were too high. Max's car plays little to no part in the show. The plot is completely lacking. Max has no charisma in the show. Mel Gibson's Mad Max was someone you cheered for, while this Max you really don't care about that much about. If you keep your expectations low you will be entertained, but i expected a lot more out of it.
    First time Mel Gibson and cheered have been in the same sentence in years

We saw "Far from the Madding Crowd," based (pretty faithfully) on the Thomas Hardy classic. I enjoyed it, my wife a little less. The main character is a strong, independent Victorian woman (played very well and winsomely by Carey Mulligan) who makes some regrettable choices in her life, all of which are resolved in the end (of course). You'll come out of the movie talking about all that, especially if you see it with someone of the opposite sex.

https://youtu.be/T9ZiQ8Z2wBY

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I had a free coupon at Redbox and picked Fifty Shades of Gray.

I paid too much for it.

Finally got around to seeing Interstellar.

I really enjoyed it. Some of the time and relativity stuff made my brain hurt, but you know, other than that as a concept I enjoyed it quite a bit. Since I've started reading the Martian, and I know that Matt Damon is staring in it, when he showed up in this one I was a little confused and had a tough time reconciling the two roles.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Finally got around to seeing Interstellar.

I really enjoyed it. Some of the time and relativity stuff made my brain hurt, but you know, other than that as a concept I enjoyed it quite a bit. Since I've started reading the Martian, and I know that Matt Damon is staring in it, when he showed up in this one I was a little confused and had a tough time reconciling the two roles.
    I just saw it over the weekend, too. Pretty good, but it was disjointed at times and could have easily been 45 minutes shorter without losing anything. I'm also not sure how the whole time-space continuum things holds together, but apparently some nerds argue that the movie's scenario would be theoretically possible.

We saw "Love and Mercy" last weekend. Highly recommended, especially for those who love music and the history of rock and roll.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

On vacation, blasted hot, pool closed... so we took the kids to see Inside Out. I'll be honest that the previews of it made me think it might be a first Pixar flop, but it is a great movie. It had both me and my wife in tears (as well as every adult I saw around me) and my kids couldn't stop talking about it after. Probably the best movie of the year thus far.

You have to admire Pixar's series of home runs and honestly most of them are thought-provoking, powerful, GOOD messages while being very funny. No small feat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    On vacation, blasted hot, pool closed... so we took the kids to see Inside Out. I'll be honest that the previews of it made me think it might be a first Pixar flop, but it is a great movie. It had both me and my wife in tears (as well as every adult I saw around me) and my kids couldn't stop talking about it after. Probably the best movie of the year thus far.

You have to admire Pixar's series of home runs and honestly most of them are thought-provoking, powerful, GOOD messages while being very funny. No small feat.
    We enjoyed it as well. It resonated with us because we're very likely to move our kids across the country next spring. We looked at each other with a "are we terrible parents?" kind of expression.

It's good to mess with the kids too..."don't let sadness take over"

Overall, a very good show.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

We enjoyed it as well. It resonated with us because we're very likely to move our kids across the country next spring. We looked at each other with a "are we terrible parents?" kind of expression.

It's good to mess with the kids too..."don't let sadness take over"

Overall, a very good show.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    I joked with my wife, "Well, now our kids will be terrified of moving."

"The Last Movie You Saw" thread

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I haven't seen either of them, but I have a hard time believing this could be better than the fast and the furious 7.

When I heard Pixar was making Hermans Head into a movie, I was not impressed. But it's getting great reviews. I'm glad there are so many good animated movies for kids these days. All the live action movies are PG-13.
    I think I've mentioned my movie buddy here before. It is a guy around the corner with Down Syndrome, his mom doesn't want to go to movies and neither does my wife, so we make the perfect pair. Over the years he has become one of my very best friends.

Because of him I see ALL the action movies, regardless of caliber. There has only been one movie we've seen together that he didn't like, Super 8. The reason why behind that is another post. I'll also mention that because of him I've seen all the Step Up movies through Step Up 3D. To sum our movie going habits, short on art house, big on special effects.

I mention this because I want to provide some context/justification when I tell you I HAVE seen Furious 7. I will also mention it was in a sold out theater and there were a number of people crying at the end. I will also say that with low expectations that movie wasn't bad.

So, Inside Out does indeed surpass Furious 7, although barely. I say this realizing I may lose my UB5 movie critic accreditation.

My two year old managed to sit through the whole thing- her first movie- and cried the least out of us all.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    All this crying talk is making me wary. Maybe mad max will turn out to be the best movie of the summer - no crying in there.
    Not even when a nearly dead Imperator Furiousa was being raised above the people as their new leader? You must have no heart.

Media it a double today (too hot to do anything else). Was in the mood for something stupid and fun. Jurassic Park was an abundance of the former and little of the latter.

Went to see Inside Out with the family for Father's Day.

Fantastic movie. Perfect movie for Father's Day.

As for the crying, I'm pleading the 5th until my Man Lawyer gets here. But I did do many manly things with internal combustion engines after I got home.

It didn't help that they set you up with that Lava short.

Get on Up - The James Brown Story - Not your typical bio-pic, as it bounces around from various points in his life. It shows his upbringing and musical influences, which was interesting in the formation of how he carried himself later in life. The actor did a good job of capturing the character that James Brown was, and it is always interesting to me to get the back story on the Godfather of Soul.

A catch-up post:

"Far from the Madding Crowd:" You'll have to go to an art house to see it. Well-done version of the Thomas Hardy novel. Carey Mulligan is a winsome Bathsheba.

"Jurassic World:" A fun summer movie, pretty well done. I loved how the heroine's makeup stayed intact throughout, even after running for her life from dinosaurs (through a tropical jungle) for an entire day. Bonus: She wore heels the entire time. Love it!

"Mr. Holmes:" A bit slow in places but fun for Holmes and mystery fans. Ian McKellen is great. Laura Linney plays a matronly character and shows her acting chops.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 07-27-2015 at 04:37 PM.

--Yeats

Here's the Mr. Holes Holmes trailer:

Last edited by LA Ute; 07-27-2015 at 01:10 PM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Here's the Mr. Holes trailer:

LA...the video you linked is to a movie called Mr. Holmes...not Mr. Holes. maybe you are thinking of this guy:

6332.jpg

LA...the video you linked is to a movie called Mr. Holmes...not Mr. Holes. maybe you are thinking of this guy:

6332.jpg

--Yeats

A most violent year - slow moving character study. Labeled as the next big gangster movie but not even close. Grade B-

Whiplash - to those who saw it what was the point? Especially the end. Grade C-

This is where I leave you - This one had its moments. Slice of life dramedy about a family whose father died and all the kids come back to the house for an extended family reunion. It had its moments. Worth the $1.60 Redbox Grade B

Get Hard - It had its moments and at times was really funny. I give it a Grade B- If you want really funny Will Ferrell go with "the other guys".

While we're young - Story about to 40+ year olds who couldnt/didn't have kids and how they start hanging out with a younger hipster couple. It was entertaining and accomplished what it set out to do. my only problem is that everyone was giving them shit for never having kids but the Naomi Watts character tried and had several miscarriages. If this were the case you would think her close friends would be more understanding. Other than that decent and worth the $1.60 redbox Grade B

No Way Jose - Another Indie Film about a 40 year old guy with arrested development. Somewhat entertaining and I think its free now on Amazon Prime If you have a couple hours to kill its not bad
    Grade B-

Ted 2 - Loved the first one and this one was funny. It's not as good as the first one but it does have some really funny moments Grade B

Ant Man - I loved it. It was fun and entertaining like what you are supposed have when you go see a comic book movie. Grade A-

Laggies - Free on Amazon Prime this is an indie film about a woman this time with arrested development. It was fun and entertaining. If you are looking for a decent movie to watch with the wife this would work. Grade B+

Mr Turner - very very very very very very very very slow biopic about the english painter Joseph Mallord William Turner. Its 2.5 hours but seemed like it was 6 hours long. Interesting life he had it just took to long to tell the story. Grade C-

They came together - Romantic Comedy with Paul Rudd and Amy Poehler. Free on Netflix. Don't watch a trailer or read anything about it before you see it. There were times it was hysterically funny. the language is for Mature audiences. Grade A-

Road Hard - Adam Carolla film about a comic who goes back on the road when production deals have dried up. If you listen to his daily podcast a lot of the jokes wont be new. They are still funny but you may have heard them before. Other than that it's entertaining and free right now on Amazon Prime. Grade B
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Ant Man - Loved it. Go in with low expectations and walk away happy. Very fun movie - didn't take itself too seriously, knew exactly what it was and I thought did a really good job overall. As always with Marvel, stay until the end of the credits. Ant Man signals the end of Phase 2 of the marvel movies, and Phase 3 kicks off next year with Captain America: Civil War.

This is Where I Leave You - Depressingly good. This is one of those movies that will probably hit close to home for a lot of people in terms of family dynamics etc. It has a little bit of every kind of craziness within a family dynamic, but the acting is good and I think the characters make it work.

I watched 'An Honest Liar' on Netflix. Pretty interesting documentary about a former magician, James Randi, who devoted his life to exposing frauds, particularly religious healer frauds that he deemed dangerous. Ironically he is being defrauded himself along the way. Worth the price I paid.

I also watched 'Hurt Locker' finally. It was okay, but I don't get the hype it received at the time. Maybe movies like Zero Dark Thirty, American Sniper and Lone Survivor have jaded me towards this type of film.

I tried to like 'Ant Man' and I guess I did, but I've tired of the Marvel movie formula. I agree it didn't take itself seriously, and I have a feeling had I seen this two years ago I would have really liked it. I will say it is comparable to the first Iron Man as far as humor and not taking itself too seriously.

I watched 'An Honest Liar' on Netflix. Pretty interesting documentary about a former magician, James Randi, who devoted his life to exposing frauds, particularly religious healer frauds that he deemed dangerous. Ironically he is being defrauded himself along the way. Worth the price I paid.

I also watched 'Hurt Locker' finally. It was okay, but I don't get the hype it received at the time. Maybe movies like Zero Dark Thirty, American Sniper and Lone Survivor have jaded me towards this type of film.

I tried to like 'Ant Man' and I guess I did, but I've tired of the Marvel movie formula. I agree it didn't take itself seriously, and I have a feeling had I seen this two years ago I would have really liked it. I will say it is comparable to the first Iron Man as far as humor and not taking itself too seriously.
    I like The Hurt Locker.

If you've watched the actual inbeded shows with the Navy EOD guys it's a pretty accurate representation of what they do.

Sniper and Lone Survivor (and Act Of Valor) are awesome movies. I liked Zero Dark Thirty but I wouldn't include it with those others.

Saw "Southpaw" last night. A great movie. Those who don't like language will probably not enjoy it, but I loved it and loved the path the movie took.

Went and saw Ant-Man this weekend. As a die-hard Marvel fan, I enjoyed it. As a couple of others here said, if you go into it expecting it to be a game changer within the Marvel Universe, youll be disappointed. Its a nice introduction for a couple of characters who are likely going to team up with the Avengers at some point, and its a fun movie.

I would say that 1/3 of the people who came left before the mid and end credit scenes. This is the 12th movie in this franchise! Do people not know? Not care? I don't know.......but I will say that the end credit scene in this one was the most intriguing one yet.

Before the movie, there was a trailer for the new fantastic four movie and it looks terrible; maybe even worse than the mid 2000s movies. It feels like a movie that was made just so that the rights dont go back to Marvel itself, which is where they should be!

There was also a trailer for next year's justice league movie. It looked intriguing, although I still doubt that Jesse Eisenberg can pull off Lex Luthor. The trailer actually got me almost interested enough to see the movie..........but that require me to go back and watch Man of Steel, and I am not interested in putting myself through that again. Also, Ben Affleck as Batman.
    Last edited by UtahsMrSports; 08-05-2015 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Went and saw Ant-Man this weekend. As a die-hard Marvel fan, I enjoyed it. As a couple of others here said, if you go into it expecting it to be a game changer within the Marvel Universe, youll be disappointed. Its a nice introduction for a couple of characters who are likely going to team up with the Avengers at some point, and its a fun movie.

I would say that 1/3 of the people who came left before the mid and end credit scenes. This is the 12th movie in this franchise! Do people not know? Not care? I don't know.......but I will say that the end credit scene in this one was the most intriguing one yet.

Before the movie, there was a trailer for the new fantastic four movie and it looks terrible; maybe even worse than the mid 2000s movies. It feels like a movie that was made just so that the rights dont go back to Marvel itself, which is where they should be!

There was also a trailer for next year's justice league movie. It looked intriguing, although I still doubt that Jesse Eisenberg can pull off Lex Luthor. The trailer actually got me almost interested enough to see the movie..........but that require me to go back and watch Man of Steel, and I am not interested in putting myself through that again. Also, Ben Affleck as Batman.
    My son loves Man of Steel so I've watched it a few times. My favorite is the epic Superman scream that happens about 16x in the movie... Obviously I can't replicate it here, but wait, maybe youtube...

Yes, youtube delivers again...

That is kind of like Christian Bale's eye wart... once you notice it, you can't miss it any more.

My son loves Man of Steel so I've watched it a few times. My favorite is the epic Superman scream that happens about 16x in the movie... Obviously I can't replicate it here, but wait, maybe youtube...

Yes, youtube delivers again...

That is kind of like Christian Bale's eye wart... once you notice it, you can't miss it any more.
    I love how superman screams and strains to lift something or move something, then at another point he's able to move or lift somethng else that's hundreds of times heavier than what he was straining to move before. So what is it, Kal-El?