Thread: Breaking Bad thread

Breaking Bad thread

Here is Aaron Paul on the Price is right

1200 bitch!!

Is he on meth?

-What would you do
    if you saw spaceships over Glasgow?
    Would you fear them?
    Every aircraft, every camera, is a wish that wasn't granted.

What was that for?
    Try to be bad.

i would absolutely watch this. but, the requirement i have is that vince gilligan writes it. if he sells the character to someone else, i am not interested.

Sunday night the end of the series begins. I can't wait. So much to wrap up and I trust Gilligan to do it with style and depth and to my satisfaction.

Anyone else gearing up to watch?

I just started watching the 5th season on netflix and cannot participate in this thread until I am caught up on all the episodes. I have to say that I loved watching Gus take out the cartel in the last season and was actually sad to see him die.

I have never watched the series until today when I happened to be stuck at my son's apartment out of town and tuned in for 15-20 minutes while channel-surfing. Just my luck, I caught the episode when they murdered the little boy and dissolved both his body and his dirt bike in acid. Those of you who know me know I'm no Victorian about entertainment, but I think I am done now with "Breaking Bad." Good grief.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I have never watched the series until today when I happened to be stuck at my son's apartment out of town and tuned in for 15-20 minutes while channel-surfing. Just my luck, I caught the episode when they murdered the little boy and dissolved both his body and his dirt bike in acid. Those of you who know me know I'm no Victorian about entertainment, but I think I am done now with "Breaking Bad." Good grief.
    Not the this argument again

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Not the this argument again

Sorry, it's the first time I've ever seen the argument, or ever seen or thought about the show. I gather you're saying this discussion has already been resolved and must not be restarted?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Sorry, it's the first time I've ever seen the argument, or ever seen or thought about the show. I gather you're saying this discussion has already been resolved and must not be restarted?
    my wife and I started watching it couple weeks ago on netflix. We have watched 6 episodes from season 1. He just shaved is head and put jesse in the hospital. Both of us are now addicted to the show and I'm not opening this thread again. Have to avoid everything on the internet.
    Last edited by concerned; 08-11-2013 at 04:39 PM.

It's the same argument for mad men

"Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    my wife and I started watching it couple weeks ago on netflix. We have watched 6 episodes from season 1. He just shaved is head and put jesse in the hospital. Both of us are now addicted to the show and I'm not opening this thread again. Have to avoid everything on the internet.
    In the unlikely event I watch again and make any comments, I'll use spoiler tags here.

--Yeats

It's the same argument for mad men

Oh, you mean the show about people leading miserable, unhappy and unprincipled lives? Well, at least they are not murdering children on that show.

Church-Lady6%u00252B%25282%2529.jpg

--Yeats

Excellent season opener. The garage scene to end the episode and set the whole season in final motion was absolutely amazing! Dean Norris as Hank is one of my favorite characters in this whole series. Absolutely terrific how intense he is. His voice and intense face are such an asset to the show. He's had it with Walt and is locked on. This is going to be beautiful and ugly going forward.

LA - give this show a chance. You are taking the motorcycle scene out of a huge context and isolating it. It plays a major role in this series' ultimate portrayal of morality.

Jesse Pinkman hanging with Skinny Pete and the description of the Star Trek episode was just perfect blend of comedy and Pinkman completely being lost in his own guilt was powerful during that whole scene and the whole episode.

A+ in every single way.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    Excellent season opener. The garage scene to end the episode and set the whole season in final motion was absolutely amazing! Dean Norris as Hank is one of my favorite characters in this whole series. Absolutely terrific how intense he is. His voice and intense face are such an asset to the show. He's had it with Walt and is locked on. This is going to be beautiful and ugly going forward.

LA - give this show a chance. You are taking the motorcycle scene out of a huge context and isolating it. It plays a major role in this series' ultimate portrayal of morality.

Jesse Pinkman hanging with Skinny Pete and the description of the Star Trek episode was just perfect blend of comedy and Pinkman completely being lost in his own guilt was powerful during that whole scene and the whole episode.

A+ in every single way.
    Maybe you should thread lightly.

Awesome start.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

I will probably check BB out. I saw a very favorable piece by Jonah Goldberg of National Review, calling "Breaking Bad" a fundamentally conservative show. Interestingly, BB does better in red states than blue states. Hmmmm.

I just don't like feeling heartsick at the end of TV show episode, like I did after the one where the kid was murdered. Maybe I simply tuned in at the wrong time for my first exposure to BB.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'm pretty sure you'll be okay without it. Sports is the only true, unscripted drama on television. Everything else is a soap opera.

Get your scripted drama fix with an occasional movie. Get your real drama fix by watching more sports.
    Sometimes the New York Yankees offer a pretty good soap opera.

--Yeats

I will probably check BB out. I saw a very favorable piece by Jonah Goldberg of National Review, calling "Breaking Bad" a fundamentally conservative show. Interestingly, BB does better in red states than blue states. Hmmmm.

I just don't like feeling heartsick at the end of TV show episode, like I did after the one where the kid was murdered. Maybe I simply tuned in at the wrong time for my first exposure to BB.
    Some of the states with the biggest rates of meth use, especially during the lab years were red states.....

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Some of the states with the biggest rates of meth use, especially during the lab years were red states.....

--Yeats

. . .LA - give this show a chance. You are taking the motorcycle scene out of a huge context and isolating it. It plays a major role in this series' ultimate portrayal of morality. . .

A+ in every single way.
    This is spot on. Kind of like judging Les Miserables on Fantine's prostitution scene only.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    This is spot on. Kind of like judging Les Miserables on Fantine's prostitution scene only.
    Oh, I get that. Too many people I respect say the show is great for me to judge it on that one set of scenes alone. But still, guys....

--Yeats

Oh, I get that. Too many people I respect say the show is great for me to judge it on that one set of scenes alone. But still, guys....
    Don't harass in guys he just needs to watch stuff like the Disney Channel or ABC Family

Don't harass in guys he just needs to watch stuff like the Disney Channel or ABC Family

Yes. With their fine stars like Justin Bieber (latest picture is of him playing a guitar naked...to his grandmother), Amanda Bynes, Miley Cyrus etc

I repeat my earlier comment:

image.jpgimage.jpg

--Yeats

I just found Hank on another new TV series called "Under the Dome" (it's what the kids are watching in-between there obsession with Dr. Who, Merlin and Supernatural).

One of the best aspects of Breaking Bad is the transformation of it's characters. I've evolved from being very sympathetic to Walter White to wanting his demise over the past few seasons. At the same I've felt the exact opposite for Jesse.

This has to be one of the top 5 TV series of all-time.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I just found Hank on another new TV series called "Under the Dome" (it's what the kids are watching in-between there obsession with Dr. Who, Merlin and Supernatural).

One of the best aspects of Breaking Bad is the transformation of it's characters. I've evolved from being very sympathetic to Walter White to wanting his demise over the past few seasons. At the same I've felt the exact opposite for Jesse.

This has to be one of the top 5 TV series of all-time.
    Absolutely top 5. As Gilligan said - he's taking Mr. Chips and turning him into Scarface. Wonderful atypical story arc since everything else flows the other way.

Gratuitous violence actually is not part of the show guys. I can't think of anything in this series that was gratuitous. It's all very methodical. All scenes have a place and purpose. Even the tv people are watching in the background foretells what's happening or has a place in the storyline.

Excellent show.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'd love to see that part of it. I decided that my primary complaint (there are plenty of secondary complaints) with the Star Wars prequels is that we were supposed to see someone's transition from being truly great and loved to being completely evil. We didn't see an ounce of that. We instead saw someone who was really whiny and unlikeable turn into more of a jerk.

When I realized that was the fundamental issue with the prequels, I started asking people if they knew of any examples in film or literature that show a compelling fall from grace. I came up with King David and Faust but neither really satisfied. I guess there's the devil himself. I'm not really sure that Macbeth was great before his fall. A recent film Chronicle showed a loser turn into a villain when he gets superpowers, but he was never great to begin with. Anyone got other examples? I'd love to hear them. I haven't read Dorian Gray, not sure how good he is to start with.

I'm sure this is a good show, and I'm sure the violence is an important part of it (and not gratuitous), but I know myself well enough to know that I just can't stomach those kinds of scenes. So I will likely never see the show. Ditto The Wire, the Sopranos, Game of Thrones, Dexter. I'm sure they are good shows. I'm just sensitive to violence. Mad Men, on the other hand, I'm sure I could handle, but that just screams "soap opera" at me whenever I think about watching it.
    Othello was a pretty good guy before the green-eyed monster got to him. So was Michael Corleone, before loyalty to his father made him into a well-dressed but murderous hood.

--Yeats

Othello was a pretty good guy before the green-eyed monster got to him. So was Michael Corleone, before loyalty to his father made him into a well-dressed but murderous hood.
    if you like the godfather with all of its violence you won't have any problems with breaking bad.

if you like the godfather with all of its violence you won't have any problems with breaking bad.
    Hey, I'm a movie lover. I'll check out BB. Maybe I just happened to tune in, for my first look at the show, to the worst part of the worst episode in the whole series. Just my luck.

--Yeats

From the IMDB Parents' Guide:

[SPOILER]
    Violence & Gore

Violent Content: (9/10)

Many people are shot throughout the series, some at point blank range, and often there is very graphic results (blood sprays and splatters, occasional gore, visible bullet holes, etc).

Several corpses are melted throughout the series, and these scenes are very disturbing. Some of these scenes can be very gory and graphic.

A man is strangled to death (hard to watch, but generally non-explicit).

While a man tries to break open a stolen ATM machine, his wife pushes it over onto him, crushing his head (very hard to watch but not extremely graphic, moderately explicit).

A man has his head cut off brutally (VERY graphic, and the head is seen several times).

A bomb goes off, killing several men and blowing the legs of a man off (Very brief, but somewhat graphic).

There is a non-detailed plane crash.

Many rough beatings and fighting throughout the series.

A woman overdoses on heroin, chokes on vomit in her sleep, and dies (disturbingly realistic, extremely graphic but not bloody or gory).

10 people are killed in a montage. They are stabbed, beaten, and burnt to death (this is one of the bloodiest, most shocking and graphic sequences in the entire series, VERY explicit).

An SUV runs down two men very suddenly (not very graphic, but it is violent).

A man slits another man's throat with a box cutter (another bloody and extremely shocking and graphic sequence).

After an explosion, we see a man walk away with half of his face blown off. He then falls dead (very graphic, but somewhat unrealistic).

A man places a defibrillator in his mouth and over his heart and kills himself non-graphically.

Some other violent situations throughout ranging from mild to moderate.

NOTE: Violence is not constant and many episodes will go by with very little to mild violence. However, there are infrequent instances of extremely shocking and graphic violence.
    Vince Gilligan comments on violence in the show.

The Atlantic: How 'Breaking Bad' Covers Up a Child Murder: With Ruthless Efficiency

[/SPOILER]

I'm just pulling everyone's chain. It's the contrarian in me. I promise to watch the show. Maybe even tonight.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 08-19-2013 at 03:33 PM.

--Yeats