Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Breaking Bad thread

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Just finished the final 8 episodes in 24 hours. Very well done. Great show.
    Wow, that was fantastic. Absolutely loved the ending. Watching him see his kids for the last time was emotional. Great show.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    my wife and I started watching it couple weeks ago on netflix. We have watched 6 episodes from season 1. He just shaved is head and put jesse in the hospital. Both of us are now addicted to the show and I'm not opening this thread again. Have to avoid everything on the internet.

This is the first time I have opened this thread since the post above. Finished it last night. I think it is the best show I have ever seen; so Shakespearean. The plot so tightly constructed that details you think are throwaways in the early seasons become crucial later on. Multi-dimensional characters who grow and develop and change; great acting. Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul especially. Only one or two jump the shark moments that come close to bursting your willing suspension of disbelief.

My wife and I really enjoyed and savored the journey. I dont suspect we will ever follow a show the same way we followed it; it is hard to try to watch anything anything else after that (Downton Abbey being a real disappointment this year).

I am really going to miss it.

I saw Eyebrows yesterday in the cafeteria at work.
    A good friend of mine, who was at my place of work for a meeting, pointed him out to me. It turns out that the guy who plays Eyebrows only moonlights as an actor, in real life he's a very accomplished physicist at Argonne National Laboratory. Prior to Argonne, he was at Los Alamos, which is I guess how he got hooked up with the shooting in ABQ. My friend and eyebrows were in the same meeting. In fact Eyebrows is the PI for the project, and people were calling him Eyebrows in the meeting.

His eyebrows did not disappoint. They were glorious to behold.

This is the first time I have opened this thread since the post above. Finished it last night. I think it is the best show I have ever seen; so Shakespearean. The plot so tightly constructed that details you think are throwaways in the early seasons become crucial later on. Multi-dimensional characters who grow and develop and change; great acting. Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul especially. Only one or two jump the shark moments that come close to bursting your willing suspension of disbelief.

My wife and I really enjoyed and savored the journey. I dont suspect we will ever follow a show the same way we followed it; it is hard to try to watch anything anything else after that (Downton Abbey being a real disappointment this year).

I am really going to miss it.
    I guess I will watch it. You win.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    You will not regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post

I hope you start with the right attitude. If you go in holding your nose, you will be disappointed.

Btw, I saw a promo yesterday for Better Call Saul., the spinoff. It is a prequel and will star Bob Odenkirk as Saul Goodman and Johnathon Banks as Mike Ehrmantrout. That wont mean anything to you but it may have interest for everybody who has finished BB.

I hope you start with the right attitude. If you go in holding your nose, you will be disappointed.

Btw, I saw a promo yesterday for Better Call Saul., the spinoff. It is a prequel and will star Bob Odenkirk as Saul Goodman and Johnathon Banks as Mike Ehrmantrout. That wont mean anything to you but it may have interest for everybody who has finished BB.
    where did you see this? google didn't reveal....
    I hope they do this well. Saul is an interesting character.

I'm not that kind of art consumer.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

i don't think this will work. Saul is awesome on BB, but he couldn't really carry an episode (he never had to). I'm not sure he's developed enough as a character for people to follow him.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    i don't think this will work. Saul is awesome on BB, but he couldn't really carry an episode (he never had to). I'm not sure he's developed enough as a character for people to follow him.
    I have that concern too, but he's an interesting enough character that I think I care about how he got to be who he is. Now, that's all in the execution of an idea with potential. Vince knows what he's doing, so I hope this works. I'm worried this might be Joanie Loves Chachi, but I'm hopeful it will be Laverne and Shirley.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I agree. I'm going to give this show a chance, but I'm not optimistic that it will be good, and when you add in the extremely high bar set by Breaking Bad then it is likely to fall woefully short of expectations. But I'm pulling for the show the same way I'm pulling for Utah to win the PAC 12 in football this year.

“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

My wife and I have tried to get into any new show--Orange, House of Cards, Killers, etc. etc etc. And everytime we try to watch an episode, it just reminds us how much we miss Breaking Bad. We will see about Saul Goodman.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    No kidding. This "golden age" of TV leaves a lot to be desired. I think the ongoing soap opera model with weekly cliffhanger needs to die out. At least the make-it-up-as-you-go era seems to have passed.
    Breaking Bad is certainly the best that has been out there, but just because other shows don't live up to Breaking Bad doesn't mean this isn't the golden age of TV. There has been just amazing TV put out over the past couple of years. In the past year, Fargo, Game of Thrones, and True Detective have all been fantastic.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'm intrigued by Fargo and will probably give it a shot whenever I can see it for free.

The golden age of TV was seasons 3-10 of the Simpsons. Not even Breaking Bad can live up to that. Plus, Seinfeld was going on as an undercard. It's the last time there was a show good enough to make me watch regularly. Or maybe my lifestyle has just changed since then to eliminate tv outside of sports. Anyway, you can go ahead and call this the silver age if you want.
    I like Seinfeld, it is funny but it is consistently overrated. Seinfeld mostly became irrelevant when Larry David started Curb your Enthusiasm. Why watch Curb-lite, when you can watch the much superior show.

The Simpsons was great in its prime, but there have been plenty of heavy hitters come out that are just as funny if not more. Curb and Arrested Development are 2 that are every bit as good as the Simpsons at its best and possibly better. Plus, throw in the Ricky Gervais stuff like he Office (UK) and Extras and you have more that can equal or surpass the Simpsons. Of course, this stuff isn't really part of the discussion on the Golden Age of television that is going on right now. What is making this the golden age is the dramatic series that have come out. It has been unreal that not only have you have shows as good as Game of Thrones or True Detective, but you had a show that blew them away like Breaking Bad.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com