Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk me down from the ledge: I'm thinking of moving to Utah County.

I testify that Rocker is anything but self righteous and pompous....he disappointingly is very plain.

-What would you do
    if you saw spaceships over Glasgow?
    Would you fear them?
    Every aircraft, every camera, is a wish that wasn't granted.

What was that for?
    Try to be bad.

I think this thread has developed nicely, and should be of immense assistance to DU Ute in his decision making.
    You can observe a lot by just watching - Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Hmmm... if those are my two choices, I must be a self-righteous pompous ass. Thanks for the clarification. Typically though, when it happens, I usually give them a blank stare and ask them what a Stake President is.

My personal favorite was one of my sales people came across this guy in Orem who demanded that he meet with me directly. I went and met with him and he had on display his quad and a picture behind him of Abraham Lincoln praying. He told me that he wanted to meet face to face because he 'wanted to look into my soul.' So he stared at me for a while and then said, "Are you trustworthy?" And I said, "I try to be." He said, "That disturbs me, what do you mean that you 'try to be', either you are or you aren't?" I said, "Well, I've been doing business for a long time, I try to do the right thing, but I imagine that there are some people out there who might not agree with that." He said, "Like who?" And I said, "I have no idea, but I've yet to meet a businessman yet who gets 100% positive reviews."

So he stared at me for a while and then said, "I have perceived that you are a good man, I will do business with you." So I'm on red alert at this point. He then talks to me about one partner who is a former mission president and another who is in the stake presidency and I just smile and nod.

We leave and I tell my salesperson that there is no way we are doing business with a guy like that because someone who wears their religion like that has something to hide. My salesperson begs and begs that we do it because it was a somewhat large ticket item. I relented and we did business with him and it was the biggest mistake of my professional career. Total sleezeball it turned out. Moral of the story, always go with your gut, watch out for the guys who prefer to display their religion vs just live it.

I've got others, including one that happened about 3 months ago with a company that involves a former BYU basketball player and two people I was with that weren't even mormon.

I don't doubt you have had such experiences, but c'mon every business man you have dealt with. I am very familiar with Utah County as I lived there about 8 years. I have 4 married children and grandchildren who live there. I have two brothers. Of course with that many relatives in the county I have many other associations with people in the County.

Do more men in that county wear their pants up just below their nipples, sure, but IMHO your statement about every would be like me stating every businessman I have dealt with in Salt Lake has to drink before they can think.

By the way I have been doing business with people all over. I have run into the "let me tell you myjob in the church" guy in every county, one in Idaho and California. I like you am not interested in doing business with them, but they don't all reside in Utah County.
    Last edited by BYU71; 02-27-2013 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    BYU71, I'd like to tell you about my church calling. I think you'll be impressed.
    Seriously I have to take off and don't have enough time to express this properly so I will have to be quick.

You go by "Scratch". I don't think anything about you would impress me.

Quote Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
    Seriously I have to take off and don't have enough time to express this properly so I will have to be quick.

You need to look beneath the surface, '71. There is much good in Scratch. Also, if you give him trouble, you'll have to answer to me. Just sayin.'

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Has the compensation package been finalized? Could there still be a chance for them to throw in use of a helicopter for commuting and all the associated costs? Could be worth a shot.
    Those shoes are definitely bi-curious.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    You need to look beneath the surface, '71. There is much good in Scratch. Also, if you give him trouble, you'll have to answer to me. Just sayin.'

Sorry, I probably overreacted. However, if you just met someone and they introduced themselves as "itch", I am not so sure you would have stayed cool calm and collected.

After school my wife and I moved to Orem (right on the Orem/Lindon border. They called it Northridge). We lived there for a couple of years, and really enjoyed it. The ward was very cool, and bunch of Ute fans in the ward (it was probably 60/40 for BYU) and nobody was overly "mormon" or "conservative". Just a bunch of good people trying to be better.

We did end up moving out of UC and back to Weber Co. Not because of the people, but because of the traffic. It was just too busy down there. Drove us crazy.

I don't doubt you have had such experiences, but c'mon every business man you have dealt with. I am very familiar with Utah County as I lived there about 8 years. I have 4 married children and grandchildren who live there. I have two brothers. Of course with that many relatives in the county I have many other associations with people in the County.

Do more men in that county wear their pants up just below their nipples, sure, but IMHO your statement about every would be like me stating every businessman I have dealt with in Salt Lake has to drink before they can think.

By the way I have been doing business with people all over. I have run into the "let me tell you myjob in the church" guy in every county, one in Idaho and California. I like you am not interested in doing business with them, but they don't all reside in Utah County.
    This is the best line in the history of UBuy5.

I lived in AF right after I got married; wife worked in Orem and I worked in Salt Lake. I've got to say, it was a great place to live. There is now a Costco where I used to live, though.

Move to Utah Valley. I think that the view of the mountains in Utah County is prettier than the view of the mountains in Salt Lake.

That was adequate. I also hope you know that my post above was in fun, and just messing with you.

Sorry, I probably overreacted. However, if you just met someone and they introduced themselves as "itch", I am not so sure you would have stayed cool calm and collected.
    I knew of your tendencies in this regard, which is one reason why I go by LA Ute instead of my first message board moniker "Rash."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Okay, I'll concede that not everyone in Utah County does this, but how can I be inflammatory if I don't deal in absolutes. I will say it has happened a lot for me in UC, and not happened really elsewhere in the country, but maybe that is because they were bragging about being lay ministers and it went over my head. Perhaps there is a pants below your nipples correlation between them and the business types I described.

One thing you were dead on was me being a pompous ass. Everything I learned about the subject came from Scratch and LA Ute.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute;4381[COLOR=#333333
    One thing you were dead on was me being a pompous ass. Everything I learned about the subject came from Scratch and LA Ute.[/COLOR]]
    If you're going to be an ass, is pompous ass the best ass?
    Last edited by 3UteDad; 02-27-2013 at 03:21 PM.
    You can observe a lot by just watching - Yogi Berra

And to address DU Ute's original question I say, think of what happened to Lot when he turned his tent to Sodom and Gomorrah.

My uncle lives in UC, grew up a Ute, went to Utah, moved to UC and became a coug.

Just make sure whatever house you buy down there faces north.

Quote Originally Posted by 3UteDad View Post
    If you're going to be an ass, is pompous ass is the best ass?
    Hard to quantify, but it certainly makes it more powerful.

I should also note that saying everything I've learned about the subject came from Scratch and LA Ute is like me saying between Tom Brady and I are dating Giselle Bundchen. In other words, I learned it all from Scratch.

I am going to stop following this thread........my head hurts like my ass does after my wife gets done with it.

-What would you do
    if you saw spaceships over Glasgow?
    Would you fear them?
    Every aircraft, every camera, is a wish that wasn't granted.

What was that for?
    Try to be bad.

Traverse Mountain/ridge. Right by the Adobe building. Yeah, it's a long way to mapleton, but I have family there and I testify that they are all pretty normal and the ward didn't set free my inner heretic any more than anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheidippides View Post
    Traverse Mountain/ridge. Right by the Adobe building. Yeah, it's a long way to mapleton, but I have family there and I testify that they are all pretty normal and the ward didn't set free my inner heretic any more than anywhere else.
    My ward is also Luke that. I have a theory that the newer areas like Traverse, Cedar Hills, Saratoga Springs, newer parts of Lehi, etc. are more normal because you don't have multiple generations of families, etc. My ward for example has lots if transplants from CA.

I see that '71 has a new group to troll. Sorry my friend, but we won't care if you want to blame BYu administration for the downfall of BYu sports. You likely won't get as much of a response here as you would from Lebowski.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    That was adequate. I also hope you know that my post above was in fun, and just messing with you.
    I did and that is why I felt free to act like a weinee in response here on our home turf.

If I had to move to the UC (don't call it that), I'd move as close as possible to Hobble Creek golf course, and not give a damn what my neighborhood or ward politics were.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

In June of 2012 Forbes named Provo best for career and business.

I am pretty sure Gail Rudzika doesn't live in Provo though.

Bear with me guys......

It appears after 23 years away, there's a strong possibility will be moving back to Salt Lake. For various reasons, it makes me nervous, even a little scared.

My two older kids are graduated from high school, but, I have a boy who will be entering 9th grade next year. He's a very good athlete. My oldest daughter plays D1 softball, and I think the boy has a shot at D1 baseball, and is also an above average basketball and football player as well. Our high school is a powerhouse in athletics, winning the Maxpreps Cup several times, and always in the mix for top 10. Everything is well attended by the community. Every basketball and football game is packed SRO. Even baseball games are crowded. As you might imagine, it has strongly developed competitive sports programs for 9th graders.

After doing some initial research today, I'm sick to my stomach about the move. Unless I'm wrong, I don't see that there is 9th grade football or baseball, and basketball plays a minuscule schedule -- like 8 games or so.

Can you comment on 9th grade athletics in high school/junior high in Utah. Is there really no freshman football? No baseball? Limited basketball? Do the 9th graders typically play "up" with the Sophomores? What about junior high 9th graders -- can they play with the high school teams?

We would probably be looking at homes primarily in Highland, Olympus or Skyline boundaries. Please advise.....
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Bear with me guys......

It appears after 23 years away, there's a strong possibility will be moving back to Salt Lake. For various reasons, it makes me nervous, even a little scared.

My two older kids are graduated from high school, but, I have a boy who will be entering 9th grade next year. He's a very good athlete. My oldest daughter plays D1 softball, and I think the boy has a shot at D1 baseball, and is also an above average basketball and football player as well. Our high school is a powerhouse in athletics, winning the Maxpreps Cup several times, and always in the mix for top 10. Everything is well attended by the community. Every basketball and football game is packed SRO. Even baseball games are crowded. As you might imagine, it has strongly developed competitive sports programs for 9th graders.

After doing some initial research today, I'm sick to my stomach about the move. Unless I'm wrong, I don't see that there is 9th grade football or baseball, and basketball plays a minuscule schedule -- like 8 games or so.

Can you comment on 9th grade athletics in high school/junior high in Utah. Is there really no freshman football? No baseball? Limited basketball? Do the 9th graders typically play "up" with the Sophomores? What about junior high 9th graders -- can they play with the high school teams?

We would probably be looking at homes primarily in Highland, Olympus or Skyline boundaries. Please advise.....

Ninth graders can play with the sophomore high school teams. I have helped coach the sophomore football team at one of the schools you identified for a number of years. Our process is to allow all 9th graders to join in the various off-season activities and then provide the student and his parents with our assessment of where the kid likely stands in terms of position and playing time. Our view is that it makes no sense for a 9th grader to play up unless the kid is going to be a starter or significant contributor. The kid will be happier and enjoy playing if he gets the chance to play in games. We have typically had 2-4 ninth graders play up each year.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Bear with me guys......

You probably already know this but Olympus and Skyline (Granite School District) are 10-12, Highland (Salt Lake District) is 9-12, don't know if that affects things with athletics though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    You probably already know this but Olympus and Skyline (Granite School District) are 10-12, Highland (Salt Lake District) is 9-12, don't know if that affects things with athletics though.
    All the SL district schools (west, east, highland) are 9-12. My oldest is in 9th grade at highland. They do not have a 9th grade only football team but combine with the sophomores. He started on that team and played varsity on special teams. One of the starting tailbacks on East's championship team was a 9th grader.

In basketball there is a 9th grade league but my son plays sophomore and JV. At Olympus/Skyline there are 9th grade teams for the feeder junior high (Olympus jr, bonneville jr, wasatch, Churchill) but I know several 9th graders who come up to play with the HS teams in that district.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

I know lots of 9th graders in both SLC and Granite school district who have played varsity or jv, as hostile says. A word of caution: if your sport really is baseball, my impression is the quality in both SLC and Granite is pretty low. At East and Olympus for example, I think about 80 boys play lacrosse, and 15 or 20 play baseball. It is not very popular. I could be wrong, but Jordan, Canyons, and northern Utah County take baseball a lot more seriously (Taylorsville, Bingham, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    You might not know, however, that West High is the school of scholars and champions.
    Scholars yes; champions not so much. (I have a son at East and a daughter at West).

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Well, it's on the bumper sticker. I was a student there the last time we took state in football. And West did beat Kyle Collinsworth to take state in basketball. Pretty rough for the past 5 years, though.
    West got bumped up from 4A to 5A this year and got mauled in most sports except swimming. My daughter plays on the soccer team and it wasn't pretty.