Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words -- A Photography Thread

1234648_10200401837911176_749902053_n.jpg

Bountiful temple and fall colors in pop art.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

"It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    1234648_10200401837911176_749902053_n.jpg

Bountiful temple and fall colors in pop art.
    Beautiful. How does the pop art feature work? (What does it do, in other words?)

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Beautiful. How does the pop art feature work? (What does it do, in other words?)
    It makes colors pop. Here are two photos, standard vs pop art, for comparison:

A big (and beautiful) difference. Thanks.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I'd argue that the temple looks fine, but the hillside shot seems fake because the reds are off. Maybe dialed back a little on the red side would look better. Also, you lose some detail with that; have you tried to use "sharpen" after using it?
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    I'd argue that the temple looks fine, but the hillside shot seems fake because the reds are off. Maybe dialed back a little on the red side would look better. Also, you lose some detail with that; have you tried to use "sharpen" after using it?
    There is no question that you lose detail with pop art, epsecially with reds.

Pop art can give a photo a touch of unreality.
    Last edited by USS Utah; 09-29-2013 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    When I see photos like that I think simply "home."

--Yeats

1385249_10200491471511960_415213804_n.jpg

The East Palo Alto Four -- me and my flatmates in April 1988, I'm the guy on the right.

The game tonight was not great, but the sunset at the end of the game was spectacular!

Attachment 931

I'm thinking about starting a blog for posting about my efforts in photography. I would talk about the subjects and locations, and about the experience of getting the pictures. Problem: I can't think of a title. Any suggestions?

Possiblities I thought of are "The Camera Eye" after the Rush song or "Through the Camera Lens."

Here's the sun setting over the Newport peninsula and Catalina. If I had pulled out my phone 60 seconds earlier it was really breathtaking.

Catalina.jpg

I have a new photography blog.

Link:

http://capturedmyjourneyinphotography.blogspot.com/

Here is a quick and dirty one while learning the art of astrophotography better. I took in on my front porch. It is the orion nebula

10339248_10152601886388669_7290503584171252667_o.jpg

F-18C in WWII era paint scheme. Nice!

The Schnee Eifel

This doesn't really belong in this forum, but I have a question.

There is an old painting with a cocky looking smirk on the man and he is holding a cane and pointing his fingers. Somebody on the former messageboard used it as an avatar at one time. I'm racking my brain to remember who the painter is, anyone remember?

Taken near Stansbury Island. I was amazed how dark the sky gets there so close to SLC

Great picture! That is spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by SavaUte View Post
    Taken near Stansbury Island. I was amazed how dark the sky gets there so close to SLC

Wow, that is amazing!
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

A shot I took at the Great Salt Lake of a "wildfire sunset".

wow...very nice.

U-Ute...would you mind if I share your photo, via facebook, with a photography-nut friend of mine? I think he'd really enjoy this. Will credit you of course.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    wow...very nice.

U-Ute...would you mind if I share your photo, via facebook, with a photography-nut friend of mine? I think he'd really enjoy this. Will credit you of course.
    Sure. No problem.

Meanwhile, in Utah...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Meanwhile, in Utah...

I love Utah sunsets. I’ve almost always lived in places with a good to great view over the valley to the east and often take those sunsets for granted.

When I lived in Texas the sun would just kind of disappear on the horizon at night and I really missed them.