Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words -- A Photography Thread

I contribute photos on the "other" board, and figured I could add to this thread. Here are some of my favourite recent images I have shared.

Just finished a painting, and I almost like the remnants left behind from the clean up more than the actual work of art:

About a month ago, during a short warm spell, I got out and got a couple of good shots of a modern wood stringer bridge:

Last edited by tooblue; 02-14-2018 at 04:02 PM.

Beautiful pictures. Thank you for sharing!

Visited Mormon Red Death this past long weekend. He took us to the beach. It was chilly, but certainly warmer than whence we came. Here are a couple of my favourite shots:

Great pics. I love the photos of the art room floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tooblue--what kind of camera do you have

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    tooblue--what kind of camera do you have
    I shoot with an older Cannon 6D, with a 24-105mm lens (which is standard for the camera). The pics of my art table and edge tape scraps were shot using a 35mm 1:2 IS USM lens. It's particularly useful capturing depth of field pics in low-light conditions.

To clarify, I am not a photographer—I know enough to capture a good image, but more importantly I am adept at post-editing in the RAW Photoshop development environment, which is the new darkroom process for photogs. All professionally shot images have been heavily edited in RAW/Photoshop. Knowing what you are doing at the point of shooting, along with using artificial lighting helps greatly in mitigating how much post editing needs to be done. But don't be fooled, all really good photographs have been heavily post edited. Here's a shot from late last summer of the mist on the empty field adjacent to our home:

Original shot with minimal editing:

Heavily edited shot applying layers of HDR toning, among other techniques:
    Last edited by tooblue; 02-22-2018 at 04:15 PM.

Some shots from the snow storm we got today, and of the Easter Sunday dinner table:

Shot these yesterday ...

Roughly 6:30 pm

Roughly 8:40 pm

Roughly 8:45 pm

My first attempt at capturing stars (don't have a remote switch, so I had to bring my laptop and tether trigger the shots using Adobe Lightroom):

Here is a still image from my first time lapse I attempted the next night lakeside ... a link to the 1.5 second video clip is below the image:

https://flic.kr/p/28UAsnG

Pictures look good. Is the line in the pic a shooting star?

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Pictures look good. Is the line in the pic a shooting star?
    More likely a plane or satellite.

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words -- A Photography Thread

Just a quick shot with my iPhone. This the moon over Salt Lake City at dusk yesterday.

Last edited by LA Ute; 07-19-2018 at 07:55 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    My first attempt at capturing stars (don't have a remote switch, so I had to bring my laptop and tether trigger the shots using Adobe Lightroom):

https://flic.kr/p/28UAsnG

tooblue you have some photo skills. Those are great pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    tooblue you have some photo skills. Those are great pics.
    That's kind. I'd like to get better—it's one medium I just haven't been able to invest a lot of time in until now.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Just a quick shot with my iPhone. This the moon over Salt Lake City at dusk yesterday.

Eerie

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Eerie
    Only 999 words to go.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words -- A Photography Thread

Bear Lake Inception. Vertical panorama last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another - must be a wildfire nearby, it was super smokey.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post

That one kind of messes with your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post

Headed to Bear Lake early next week for a family reunion. Been maybe 15 years since I’ve been up there, what do I need to know?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Headed to Bear Lake early next week for a family reunion. Been maybe 15 years since I’ve been up there, what do I need to know?

Not much: it's a lake, it is kinda cold (but not too bad this time of year), everything is overpriced as you'd expect, all the burger joints are over crowded, waverunners are the gnats of the sea, Bear Lake is the best tasting lake of all the lakes in Utah (speaking of crashing skiing/wakeboarding/surfing behind a boat).

Our friends have a house on the east side of the lake. There is hardly anybody on that side and it is nice. We went into Garden City for a shake and I (a major crowd hater) was glad we stayed where we did.

Oh, and have fun, it's beautiful up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post

Go to Minnetonka cave (spl?), the kid will love it.

This is true. And if you go to Paris Idaho you can see what an old LDS church looks like when it is designed and built by a ship builder, kinda cool. Outside of Paris there are some ice caves that may still have ice in them this time of year.

We’re definitely scheduled for a tour in the caves. I remember going once when I was young. I think it’s going to blow my kids’ minds. Also planning to hike to Bloomington Lake up the same way and play on the rope swing.