Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words -- A Photography Thread

"It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

"It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Experimenting with f-stops.
    548422_4468390830530_628965880_n.jpg

F22

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    I was there just a few days ago. Great hike to take with little kids.

I found out that I'm a finalist in a silly Vegas downtown alliance photo contest that I entered a few months ago. The rules were that you had to work downtown and that the photo had to have a downtown component to it. So not the biggest pool, but There's a little social this evening where they announce the winners. First place is a Nikon D7000 which would be nice to trade in for a new lens or something. I entered three photos:

(I should add that from a technical stand point, I don't think any of these are amazing photos. In fact, two of them were actually taken with my phone. I just thought that they were nice photos that met the contest requirements. I'll have to add some of my other stuff on this thread later.)

This is looking southwest from my office window on an atypical cloudy morning.

These two are of the same sunset, just different angles and stages of color.

Last edited by Dwight Schr-Ute; 04-09-2013 at 11:03 AM.

11112_4480340169256_353540382_n.jpg
    Jordan River Temple, March 11, 2013.

563768_10151580039537679_1263944985_n.jpg
    U.S. Coast Guard Photo of the Year.

11112_4480340169256_353540382_n.jpg
    Jordan River Temple, March 11, 2013.

Sunny vs cloudy

230273_9570919565_8284_n.jpg
    A friend took this of the Sacramento Temple

Our family was in the area in 2006 and attended the open house. This was the first modern day temple we had seen with murals of the local landscape, and dark, rich woodwork. A real beauty inside and out.
    Desse jeito, năo tem jeito.

I served my mission in Sacramento from June 99- June 01. The temple was announced the April before I came home. The land that is built on is called the Mormon center, I spent many hours there at mission conferences there. Before that we used to go to Oakland and do sessions there. I still need to go back and do a session there. Great location, up on a hill, next to the freeway but still very secluded.

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    I served my mission in Sacramento from June 99- June 01. The temple was announced the April before I came home. The land that is built on is called the Mormon center, I spent many hours there at mission conferences there. Before that we used to go to Oakland and do sessions there. I still need to go back and do a session there. Great location, up on a hill, next to the freeway but still very secluded.
    I spent my first year of my mission in Sacto with Richard Nixon, Manteca, Howe/Arden, Elk Grove and 6 glorious months in San Andreas.

My boy this afternoon; I like the contrasts between the water and the grass, and how you can see into the water:

"This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I spent my first year of my mission in Sacto with Richard Nixon, Manteca, Howe/Arden, Elk Grove and 6 glorious months in San Andreas.
    I arrived in Sac-town the first transfer after Dick Nixon left, Robert Grow was my mission president. The other missionaries used to tell me that Pres Nixon would tell them that you are on your mission to do missionary work, and not to find your wife. He said that if you married someone that you met while on your mission, it was worse than drinking your own urine. So after that anytime me and my buddy heard that two people were getting married that met on the mission, we used to say "Pass the Urine!"

I spent 9 glorious months in Stockton, 7 months in North-Sac, 4 months in Rancho Cordova, the rest in Galt and Elk Grove. Never made it up to the foothills, which was a crying shame.

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    My boy this afternoon; I like the contrasts between the water and the grass, and how you can see into the water:

That's a great photo, wuap.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Dude, that one's where it's at! Excellent framing.
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

That last one is awesome, USS.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    That last one is awesome, USS.
    Another friend took that near Sedona, AZ.

Last summer, we took a weekend trip to Jackson, WY on motorcycles. I got up early in the morning to ride up and take some pictures of Tetons in the soft light at dawn. I just used my iPhone camera, which is still probably the best camera I have ever owned. It was in the 40's that morning, so it was a cold ride. But it was a fun experience. This was my favorite pic that I captured: