Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Utah Rugby

Boise, aka Paradise...I wish that was true.
    http://usarugby.org/mens-sevens-news...?category_id=3

A Ute becomes an Eagle.
    Congrats to Thretton Palamo who just made it onto the US national 7's team.

That's great for thretton. Rugby 7s is awesome.

Just an update on the Scrummin' Utes.
    They seem to have picked up where they left off pre suspension. They are undefeated and lead the PAC with wins over Arizona (1/24) 17-7, ASU (2/8) 46-23 and OSU (2/22) 58/-0. They are ranked #7.
    For those looking for a warm weekend in St. George you can catch the Utes playing #8 UCLA this weekend (3/8). March 15th brings the #2 Cal Bears to SLC. April 4th is the Wasatch Cup @ #3 BYU.
    They could use your support with help paying for Refs and travel, so go to their site and buy some gear. http://www.uofurugby.com/shop/

#8 UCLA takes #7 Utah down in St. George 38-26. Rough day for Utah sports today.

Thanks for the update Damage U. Also thanks for the link. Seems like the rugby team is always changing websites and I can never keep up.

The U Rugby logo is annoyingly bad/misplaced/useless/conceived/executed.
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielLaRusso View Post
    The U Rugby logo is annoyingly bad/misplaced/useless/conceived/executed.
    Could've used your crack advice before I ordered a hoodie. Now I am going to look like a total dufus. Well, I guess I already do so what the hell!

Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    Could've used your crack advice before I ordered a hoodie. Now I am going to look like a total dufus. Well, I guess I already do so what the hell!
    Hey, we can't all have good taste.
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielLaRusso View Post
    Hey, we can't all have good taste.
    Ha! That is exactly what I tell my wife all the time, but usually in defense of myself when I exhibit poor taste

Rough few weeks for the #9 Scrumin' Utes with losses to #1 Cal (43-31) and #3 BYU keeps the Wasatch Cup (41-21).

Ranking of schools of interest as of 4/3.

1 - Cal (PAC/VC)
    3 - BYU (VC)
    5 - UCLA (PAC/VC)
    7 - Navy (VC)
    8 - Central Washington (VC)
    9 - Utah (PAC/VC)
    14- Arizona (PAC)
    15- Clemson (VC)
    16- Arizona State (PAC)
    21- Colorado*
    22- Dartmouth (VC)
    25- Oregon*

PAC = PAC12 team VC= VARSITY CUP team *= PAC12 member but plays at a lower division

http://rugbymag.com/men-di-college/10902-mens-di-college-top-25-april-3-2014.html

Looks like the Cougs do it again over Cal. They take the Varsity Cup 43-33.

Quote Originally Posted by Damage U View Post
    Looks like the Cougs do it again over Cal. They take the Varsity Cup 43-33.
    When you think of the demographics that BYU has access to, I wonder why they haven't pried more NCs out of Cals grip over the years.

Sunday play. Until recently the NCs were played on Sunday.

Nice write-up on Thretton Palamo who has won the start at #12 for the USA Eagles.

http://usarugby.org/mens-eagles-news...?category_id=2

Nice write-up on Thretton Palamo who has won the start at #12 for the USA Eagles.

I hop Thretton does well, and that his transition back to rugby is as seamless as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    I hop Thretton does well, and that his transition back to rugby is as seamless as possible.
    Me too. I'm heading to chicago in Nov with my brothers to catch the All Blacks match. Should be a fun trip.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Maybe you ruggers can explain why the rugby-football crossovers never seem to pan out. In the article Thretton says he could never figure out how to get separation from the offensive lineman. He always wanted to make plays in space, but he never had space - sounds like we should have started him at LB.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Maybe you ruggers can explain why the rugby-football crossovers never seem to pan out. In the article Thretton says he could never figure out how to get separation from the offensive lineman. He always wanted to make plays in space, but he never had space - sounds like we should have started him at LB.
    I keep hoping that one of the crossovers will work out! I think that my short answer to your question is that football is a "chess match-like" game of inches played in bursts, whereas rugby is more fluid and improvisational and mistakes (like Thretton mentioned in the article) can be more easily mitigated. I think that the best "crossovers" are really those who play the sports concurrently in youth (like Morgan Scalley).

D-news has some news on the scrumin' Utes.
    http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...ugby-team.html