Thread: The Dairy Queen Classic

The Dairy Queen Classic

Got to this one late, but we posted a 6-1 win. Brock Duke threw 6 innings giving up an unearned run. Braden Anderson is coming to life after a dismal opening weekend. He was 2-3 with 2 RBI's.

We play Minnesota tomorrow night, 5:35 MST, in the Homer Dome.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Since you follow bball more than the average Ute, how does this years version compare to last year or the 2011 teams?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    "You can do a lot in a lifetime, if you don't burn out too fast. You can make the most of the distance. First, you need endurance. First, you've got to last." - Neil Pert

We are infinitely better than last years team. We are hitting.278 so far. Last year, I think we only had two players hit over that mark. We already have 8 homers, last year we had 30 all season.

Now, 2011, we had CJ Cron. TJ Bennett is about as close a comparison on this team. Talk to me in about 3 weeks and I can give you an idea how we compare to 2011
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Got to this one late, but we posted a 6-1 win. Brock Duke threw 6 innings giving up an unearned run. Braden Anderson is coming to life after a dismal opening weekend. He was 2-3 with 2 RBI's.

We play Minnesota tomorrow night, 5:35 MST, in the Homer Dome.
    When I was updating the scores for the Calendar, I noticed that Minnesota lost 10-3 to Dartmouth. Who would you consider to be the favorite to win this tournament?
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    When I was updating the scores for the Calendar, I noticed that Minnesota lost 10-3 to Dartmouth. Who would you consider to be the favorite to win this tournament?
    That was Darthmouth's first game of the season, so I don't know what kind of team they will be. They were 24-18 last season and played for the Ivy league championship(lost to Yale). I think we are better than Minnesota, but we will see.
    André Gide

Down 0-2 after 3. Gave up 4 singles in the bottom if the 3rd.
    André Gide

Now down 0-4 after 5. Bats are struggling, only 1 hit
    André Gide

Chapman in for Banks. Banks pitched an okay game, not getting the run support. 4 runs in 6.1 innings. Utah trails 4-1 top of the 8 th.

Last chance with the top of the order coming up.
    André Gide

Well that sucks, zero production from our best hitters. Young and Bennett go 0-7. Fr. Dallas Carroll had 2 of Utah's 3 hits.
    Utah loses to the Gophers 4-1.

Quote Originally Posted by EutawStUtesFan View Post
    Well that sucks, zero production from our best hitters. Young and Bennett go 0-7. Fr. Dallas Carroll had 2 of Utah's 3 hits.
    Utah loses to the Gophers 4-1.
    Yep. In college, if you only give up 4 runs, you should expect to win.
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Yep. In college, if you only give up 4 runs, you should expect to win.
    That's 2 games the offense owes Banks. Banks pitched a 4 hit 1 run game against LMU in 1-0 loss where Utah only had 3 hits.

Up 2-1 after 3. Still only 2 hits. Pond has scattered 6(!) hits so far.
    André Gide

Still 2-1 after 4.
    André Gide

2-2 after 6. Pond's proclivity to allow baserunners finally caught up with him Rezac now in.
    André Gide

Rezac Dartmouth
    André Gide

Down 2-5 after the 7th. Offense has been nonexistant the last 2 games. 3 hits yesterday and only 4 so far today.
    André Gide

Down to our final three outs. We need a serious rally, down 2-5.
    André Gide

Nope.

Disappointing finish to a weekend that started out with some real promise.
    André Gide

So I was looking at our lineup today, and it was telling on the makeup.

C-Armijo (JC transfer)
    1B-Bennett(JC transfer)
    2B-Davis(RSFr)
    SS-Scaggari(Fr)
    3B-Carrol(Fr)
    LF-Smith(Fr)
    CF-Anderson(JC transfer)
    RF-Relf(Sr)

So out of 8 starters today, only one was on the team last year, and 3 are true freshmen.

I draw 3 conclusions from this info:

1. The talent on last years team was truly abyssmal
    2. We are going to have some very inconsistent play
    3. We have all these freshman for at least 3 years. Throw in AJ Young(Fr Catcher hitting .353) and this will make a very solid core to build this team around.
    André Gide

I am no baseball expert but it seems like the only decent college program in this state is at UVU of all places.

Quote Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
    I am no baseball expert but it seems like the only decent college program in this state is at UVU of all places.
    I think Dixie would probably beat any of the bigger schools in the state.
    “The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively”
    ~Bob Marley