Thread: One silver lining to the Star situation:

One silver lining to the Star situation:

Let me preface this by saying that I hope everything works out for Star, and while I'm sure his greatest aspiration is to play in the NFL I'm glad they found an issue before it became a significant problem.

The silver lining (besides the fact that they found a potentially life-threatening issue) is that there will be a ton of scouts at Utah's pro day, giving some of our other guys some much deserved attention. Just looking for positives here.
    Last edited by 480ute; 03-01-2013 at 05:52 PM.

This a good thing for those players. Star may lose a few slots, but 1- He found out about a potential health problem that he was likely unaware, and 2-As long as he is medically cleared, he is going to perform well and be a first round draft pick.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by 480ute View Post
    Let me preface this by saying that I hope everything works out for Star, and while I'm sure his greatest aspiration is to play in the NFL I'm glad they found an issue before it became a significant problem.

The silver lining (besides the fact that they found a potentially life-threatening issue) is that there will be a ton of scouts at Utah's pro day, giving some of our other guys some much deserved attention. Just looking for positives here.
    I have told several folks that it was better for Star to find out about it this way than have something happen like Thomas Herrion. That was a heartbreaking day for the Ute family.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    "You can do a lot in a lifetime, if you don't burn out too fast. You can make the most of the distance. First, you need endurance. First, you've got to last." - Neil Pert

Quote Originally Posted by Jeromy in SLC View Post
    I have told several folks that it was better for Star to find out about it this way than have something happen like Thomas Herrion. That was a heartbreaking day for the Ute family.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    That's for sure. I hope the best for Star. If he doesn't get cleared, life will still go on. But, I think everyone is hoping that this turns out to he an irregularity or something.

I am really interested to see star play in the nfl. With a fast and explosive defense that can use him more creatively than the Utes did his last year, and against the best olinemen there are.

anybody else hear that Star dropping weight for the combine was the reason for his test results? I can't remember the source of that info, I think it was from someone on NFL network or ESPN. but they said it's not unusual for those test results when players try to make a sudden change to their body like that.
    Either way it sounds like they're confident about him being ready to go on pro day and I agree that it's a big bonus for the rest of the guys that didn't get to go and do drills at the combine.

Quote Originally Posted by UTE FANatic View Post
    anybody else hear that Star dropping weight for the combine was the reason for his test results? I can't remember the source of that info, I think it was from someone on NFL network or ESPN. but they said it's not unusual for those test results when players try to make a sudden change to their body like that.
    Either way it sounds like they're confident about him being ready to go on pro day and I agree that it's a big bonus for the rest of the guys that didn't get to go and do drills at the combine.
    I heard that was well, but I have had a hard time envisioning how that could happen. The thing I look at is the accuracy of an echocardiogram. Typically, an echo reports the ejection fraction as a range, 55-60%. I don't think I have ever seen one reported with such a precise number (44%].
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

I heard this as well. For some reason I remember hearing that he had dropped 10 pounds during the 3 days leading up to the combine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    I heard that was well, but I have had a hard time envisioning how that could happen. The thing I look at is the accuracy of an echocardiogram. Typically, an echo reports the ejection fraction as a range, 55-60%. I don't think I have ever seen one reported with such a precise number (44%].
    They're always that exact, they just don't always report it with the exact number.

And there are all kinds of things such as rapid weight loss or a virus that can cause such numbers. They'll do more tests, using stress echo's etc to get a better idea. As Dr Petron said in an interview, with no symptoms reported other reasons than a heart damage issue are more likely.

Awesome avator FANatic. Well done!
    "You can do a lot in a lifetime, if you don't burn out too fast. You can make the most of the distance. First, you need endurance. First, you've got to last." - Neil Pert

I've known a few people that have discovered heart ailments after age 30. Health issues that they've dealt with since birth but have just recently discovered and have corrected. They both have a better quality of life now. The other possible benefit for Star is that if he does have some health issue, correcting it now should make him better on and off the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeromy in SLC View Post
    Awesome avator FANatic. Well done!
    thanks. It's one of my favorites that i found a couple of years ago