Thread: I learned in Church today

Hybrid View

The church expanded their online donations today. I'm not sure how widespread the rollout is. We got an email that our Ward is included. Very good system, designed to make things simple. It even shows you your donation history for this year and last.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Last week we had a HC guy. This week we had another. He said he was sick last month, so he came yesterday to make up for it.
    Thanks dude......

Extremely boring and blow-hardy take on Oaks' talk on priesthood (the one that addressed the OW movement).
    At the end he said that TSM is the prophet for today, and that if we want to return to God, we should follow the example of his life and pattern ours after his.
    Well, that woke me up.

How's the best way to combat this shit? In class I could always raise my hand and offer a comment, however, my sunbeams usually don't say things this stupid. They usually just ask more another piece of paper or more crackers.
    The leader-worship is something that really irks me. I know, I need to get over it, but at the same time I think it's extremely unhealthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Last week we had a HC guy. This week we had another. He said he was sick last month, so he came yesterday to make up for it.
    Thanks dude......

Extremely boring and blow-hardy take on Oaks' talk on priesthood (the one that addressed the OW movement).
    At the end he said that TSM is the prophet for today, and that if we want to return to God, we should follow the example of his life and pattern ours after his.
    Well, that woke me up.

How's the best way to combat this shit? In class I could always raise my hand and offer a comment, however, my sunbeams usually don't say things this stupid. They usually just ask more another piece of paper or more crackers.
    The leader-worship is something that really irks me. I know, I need to get over it, but at the same time I think it's extremely unhealthy.
    WWTSMD?

If we all follow that, there will be a lot more visitors to sick people in hospitals and shut-in widows.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Thanks dude......

Well, that woke me up.

What is there to combat? Your eternity is in no way determined by those who want to pattern their lives after a general authority. My daughter was asked to give a talk this past Sunday based on a general conference talk from last October that was not her favorite (or mine). There were some statements in the talk that she found difficult. Her husband gave her some good advice. Go through the talk and cross out every part that you don't like and then base your talk on what is left. I kind of do that at church each Sunday. Most of the time I cross out a few things. Sometimes I block out an entire talk or lesson. But for the most part I can find something that I agree with and that inspires me to be a better husband, father, son, friend and neighbor.