Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425 LastLast
Results 691 to 720 of 731

Thread: I learned in Church today

  1. #691
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    One member of our ward, named Leo, is an older man with vision and speech issues, and perhaps some dementia or other disability (he has a heavy accent and makes comments in Sunday School that are hard to decipher). Leo joined the church about 3 years ago. Lately he has been blessing the sacrament, which has been kind of an adventure for everyone in attendance at sacrament meeting because he struggles to get through the prayer and takes quite a long time to do that.

    Yesterday Leo had an especially difficult time and ended up giving the prayer 4 times before he got it right. (Our bishop will let small errors go -- slurred words, for example -- but Leo's mistakes yesterday were just too big to ignore.) It was hard for everyone present because we wanted Leo to do well and not be embarrassed. But the episode passed and we just moved on with the meeting.

    It was testimony meeting, and one of the last persons who spoke, a woman who fairly recently reactivated herself, very emotionally brought up Leo's struggle. She looked down from the pulpit at him, seated in the pews, and in a breaking voice thanked him, saying that the sacrament prayer had become routine to her and she'd fallen into the bad habit of not listening to it carefully. Thanks to him, she said, she had been forced to listen to the prayer carefully and as a result had a new appreciation for the meaning of many of the words. She also was deeply touched, she said, by Leo's determination and persistence in getting the words right. There were few dry eyes in the chapel by the time she sat down. It was a touching and unexpected moment. I like to think the Lord was happy with it. I also learned something important about patience and charity.
    Thank you. A nice reminder.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #692
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,200
    Elder Eyrings talk tonight was phenomenal, very powerful.


  3. #693
    The Just Serve piece following this morning's session was phenomenal. The best "talk" of the day for me.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #694
    I guess this goes here. I saw this on Twitter yesterday. I have not been able to stop thinking about the story at the end of this. I don't have words. Just incredible.

    https://www.lds.org/church/news/elde...dents?lang=eng

  5. #695
    That is a nice story.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  6. #696
    My wife and daughters and about 7,000 other women paid $75 to attend conference last night and today at the Southtown Expo Center called Timeout for Women. It was sponsored by Deseret Book and has multiple speakers, including Sherri Dew. The session last night started and ended with a prayer. Sherri Dew spoke as well as a musician who sounds like Josh Groban and a former FBI agent who now operates a non-profit that rescues abducted children who are sold on the sex slave market. His organization has done tremendous things. Although none of them ended their speeches with the typical LDS salutation, their speeches were somewhat gospel related and at times had the tone of someone giving a testimony. While my wife was impressed with their messages, in one sense she was bothered because it seemed like this was a Jesus centered commercial venture. She doesn't think the money generated goes to any non-profit. So, do things like this bother anyone? I always cringe at things like Angel Moroni tie clips.

  7. #697
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    My wife and daughters and about 7,000 other women paid $75 to attend conference last night and today at the Southtown Expo Center called Timeout for Women. It was sponsored by Deseret Book and has multiple speakers, including Sherri Dew. The session last night started and ended with a prayer. Sherri Dew spoke as well as a musician who sounds like Josh Groban and a former FBI agent who now operates a non-profit that rescues abducted children who are sold on the sex slave market. His organization has done tremendous things. Although none of them ended their speeches with the typical LDS salutation, their speeches were somewhat gospel related and at times had the tone of someone giving a testimony. While my wife was impressed with their messages, in one sense she was bothered because it seemed like this was a Jesus centered commercial venture. She doesn't think the money generated goes to any non-profit. So, do things like this bother anyone? I always cringe at things like Angel Moroni tie clips.
    A quick internet check finds it’s not sponsored by Deseret Book....it’s a subsidiary of Deseret Book, they own the thing.

    Reading their “things we love” list it’s obviously geared towards LDS women.

    And, to your point, there is no mention regarding where the money goes. But there is a request to bring donations for refugees as a “service project”.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #698
    Our new ward is interesting. It approaches the U and downtown. As someone in my fifties, I'm a spring chicken in the HP group, although I can tell there's the beginning of a turnover phase as we have a few priests, more teachers and about 15 deacons. Another interesting observation is that the closer you move to city center, the more the wards have consolidated leaving only former bishops, presidents or GA's standing -- that's how it feels anyway. There must be a 20 or more members I've heard addressed as bishop or president. I'm certain there's a GA or three in the ward but can't verify for certain. There's six -- yes six -- MP's currently serving, and still there's a deep bench on which to draw, unless you're looking for leadership under 70 years old then it becomes a bit more challenging. As we've made our way from the east coast to Salt Lake city-center, the teachings are the same from place to place, but, the membership and its culture differs, if even slightly, from place to place. I've appreciated my time experiencing that.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

    "You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

    "Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

  9. #699
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,200
    crazy LDS story out of Woods Cross, I'm not surprised but ...

    https://www.ksl.com/article/46311746...d-abuse-charge

    I don't know if I've told this story before but my Bishop when I was about 12, resigned from being Bishop after about 6 weeks in his position and left the church because of a church basketball incident

  10. #700
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    crazy LDS story out of Woods Cross, I'm not surprised but ...

    https://www.ksl.com/article/46311746...d-abuse-charge

    I don't know if I've told this story before but my Bishop when I was about 12, resigned from being Bishop after about 6 weeks in his position and left the church because of a church basketball incident
    I get a kick out of the reporting here......KSL goes to this guy's house and of course he can't talk so they go to..........a random neighbor?

    I am extremely ignorant here so maybe can help me out because the article sure didn't........In a case like this, are charges being filed because the parents of the boy are pressing charges or did the hospital pass along the info and the police looked into it themselves and determined that charges should be pressed?

  11. #701
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    crazy LDS story out of Woods Cross, I'm not surprised but ...

    https://www.ksl.com/article/46311746...d-abuse-charge

    I don't know if I've told this story before but my Bishop when I was about 12, resigned from being Bishop after about 6 weeks in his position and left the church because of a church basketball incident
    I would love to hear that story!

  12. #702
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I get a kick out of the reporting here......KSL goes to this guy's house and of course he can't talk so they go to..........a random neighbor?

    I am extremely ignorant here so maybe can help me out because the article sure didn't........In a case like this, are charges being filed because the parents of the boy are pressing charges or did the hospital pass along the info and the police looked into it themselves and determined that charges should be pressed?
    So in a case like this where no one was arrested initially, the police put together a screening packet. That packet has all of the interviews, evidence etc and that’s sent and/or presented to a district attorney (or prosecutor) who then determines what if any charges filed. On a felony level charge they can go forward even if there is reluctance from the victim to proceed

    While police do make probably cause arrests, police never actually determine formal charges. That’s always up to the prosecuting attorney


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #703
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    crazy LDS story out of Woods Cross, I'm not surprised but ...

    https://www.ksl.com/article/46311746...d-abuse-charge

    I don't know if I've told this story before but my Bishop when I was about 12, resigned from being Bishop after about 6 weeks in his position and left the church because of a church basketball incident
    Now you've got to tell the story.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #704
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Now you've got to tell the story.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dear Penthouse Forum,

    I never thought this would happen to me ....

    oops scratch that, wrong story

    _______________

    I was 12 or 13 when it “the incident” happened. Our new bishop loved basketball and played for our ward team. We used to hang out and watch them play, because during timeouts we’d run onto the court and shoot hoops. Our stake had a sweet court with one main court that ran North to South and two other courts that ran in the middle of it East to West. Our Stake court was as big as most high school gyms (and no carpet …. all wood baby).

    During one game our ward men’s team were becoming frustrated with each other and things started to get heated. There was lots of finger pointing and banter with each other, “pass me the ball, I was wide open”, “you need to set a screen on that guy”, “rebound” type of stuff. The usual banter, but then it escalated. Before I describe “the incident” that led to us getting a brand newer bishop, I want to point out that this guy (our bishop of just a few weeks) was a good man. He was down to earth, caring, kind. Everyone thought he was an excellent choice to lead the ward. His fatal flaw was that when he played hoops, he transformed from Mr. Rodgers into Bill Laimbeer. He had a demon switch, he went from Mother Teresa lite to Nick Emery with a migraine quicker than a quarter mile with a borrowed friends Volkswagen Jetta. We’ve all played with this guy that considered a minor pickup game with a couple of guys the equivalent of playing for an Olympic gold medal. That was this guy. Off the court, he was just a regular easy going guy.

    Our ward had one black family, and the dad played church basketball. During this game tempers continued to flare and I recall seeing a couple team members holding our bishop back from other players on his team. A couple swear words were dropped and our bishop shouted the “N” word! (Shudders), I’ll never forget that. It was completely awkward! Our Bishop finally calmed himself after a few of his friends calmed him and then he grabbed his stuff and left, never to return (okay that’s a bit dramatic, he would come once or twice a year if his kids were giving a talk or singing).

    A few weeks later, we had a new bishop. I don’t know if he asked to be released or was canned. The black family in our ward that the “N’ word was directed too, moved out a few months later. I’m sure some apologies were offered, but it was probably just too uncomfortable for all involved.

    Throughout my life, I’ve been in some great wards with great individuals with very little drama, but for whatever reason the ward that I grew up in as a kid had some bizarre/creepy incidents
    Last edited by Scorcho; 05-04-2018 at 12:03 PM.

  15. #705

  16. #706
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Where was this?
    Layton, UT or as we used to call it Layun

  17. #707
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    16,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Dear Penthouse Forum,

    I never thought this would happen to me ....

    oops scratch that, wrong story

    _______________

    I was 12 or 13 when it “the incident” happened. Our new bishop loved basketball and played for our ward team. We used to hang out and watch them play, because during timeouts we’d run onto the court and shoot hoops. Our stake had a sweet court with one main court that ran North to South and two other courts that ran in the middle of it East to West. Our Stake court was as big as most high school gyms (and no carpet …. all wood baby).

    During one game our ward men’s team were becoming frustrated with each other and things started to get heated. There was lots of finger pointing and banter with each other, “pass me the ball, I was wide open”, “you need to set a screen on that guy”, “rebound” type of stuff. The usual banter, but then it escalated. Before I describe “the incident” that led to us getting a brand newer bishop, I want to point out that this guy (our bishop of just a few weeks) was a good man. He was down to earth, caring, kind. Everyone thought he was an excellent choice to lead the ward. His fatal flaw was that when he played hoops, he transformed from Mr. Rodgers into Bill Laimbeer. He had a demon switch, he went from Mother Teresa lite to Nick Emery with a migraine quicker than a quarter mile with a borrowed friends Volkswagen Jetta. We’ve all played with this guy that considered a minor pickup game with a couple of guys the equivalent of playing for an Olympic gold medal. That was this guy. Off the court, he was just a regular easy going guy.

    Our ward had one black family, and the dad played church basketball. During this game tempers continued to flare and I recall seeing a couple team members holding our bishop back from other players on his team. A couple swear words were dropped and our bishop shouted the “N” word! (Shudders), I’ll never forget that. It was completely awkward! Our Bishop finally calmed himself after a few of his friends calmed him and then he grabbed his stuff and left, never to return (okay that’s a bit dramatic, he would come once or twice a year if his kids were giving a talk or singing).

    A few weeks later, we had a new bishop. I don’t know if he asked to be released or was canned. The black family in our ward that the “N’ word was directed too, moved out a few months later. I’m sure some apologies were offered, but it was probably just too uncomfortable for all involved.

    Throughout my life, I’ve been in some great wards with great individuals with very little drama, but for whatever reason the ward that I grew up in as a kid had some bizarre/creepy incidents
    Sad story. Reminds me of the time when our stake athletic director got into a fight, in a basketball game, with one of the bishops in the stake who was on the opposing team. I was the high councilor with responsibility for athletics (a horrible assignment) and was very young. I had no idea what to do except to separate them (one of them was a huge guy, former college player). I went home that night shaking my head.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  18. #708
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Sad story. Reminds me of the time when our stake athletic director got into a fight, in a basketball game, with one of the bishops in the stake who was on the opposing team. I was the high councilor with responsibility for athletics (a horrible assignment) and was very young. I had no idea what to do except to separate them (one of them was a huge guy, former college player). I went home that night shaking my head.

    I can't imagine a scenario where a bishop playing basketball is a good idea. Seems like there are a few of these stories around.

    My personal favorite story of legend in my current ward happened before I moved in. Two individuals were playing basketball on the same team, one guy was in his 40s-50s, the other was in his 70s. Some argument started and neither guy was known for holding their tongue in any scenario, but the younger of the two was particularly bad. Things escalated and the guy in his 70s knocked out the younger guy. Yup, a knock-out fight between two guys on the same team. Both got banned from church sports.

    To give you add'l perspective on the younger guy, one time in class at church he wanted to make a comment. A man who was quadriplegic also wanted to make a comment at the same time and the instructor called on him. The same hothead stormed out of the room saying, "I guess you have to be in a wheelchair to get called on here!"

    Yeah...

    I don't know what he said in the game to get punched, but my guess is he deserved it.

  19. #709
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Layton, UT or as we used to call it Layun
    I grew up there too. Do you mind saying what neighborhood?

  20. #710
    My best church ball story (probably told it here before) also involved a bishop. It was region ball, so we didn't know any of the teams coming in. I was the stake officials coordinator. We got a guy in his 70s who had recently concluded a longgggg career of officiating varsity basketball.

    As the final game of the night neared its conclusion, it was tight. A player on the team who was losing fouled a player on the winning team by grabbing his jersey (just trying to stop the clock). This ref called it a flagrant (two shots plus the ball). The losing team blew up and we called the game over. These guys were cursing this old man out. The bishop of their ward just left instead of getting his guys to settle down. I took it upon myself to jump in and take the brunt of their angry so that this old man could out to his car. One guy told me that I was the biggest @#$@# joke he had ever met. My crime was listening to him and keeping score, dont recall saying a word to him or anyone else outside of apologizing.

    The high council rep was there and I told him I wanted to be released and I was. Haven't been back to a church ball game in any capacity since.

  21. #711
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I grew up there too. Do you mind saying what neighborhood?
    just East of Fairfield off of Cherry Ln

  22. #712
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    just East of Fairfield off of Cherry Ln
    I have driven past your ward house countless times.

  23. #713
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I have driven past your ward house countless times.
    I understand the new temple is being built along Fairfield directly East of the Smiths on Gentile.

    Which neighborhood did you grow up?

  24. #714
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    16,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I understand the new temple is being built along Fairfield directly East of the Smiths on Gentile.

    Which neighborhood did you grow up?
    So directions to the temple will include “Just east of Gentile.” Love that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  25. #715
    Malleus Cougarorum Solon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Lost in the Flood.
    Posts
    1,271
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    So directions to the temple will include “Just east of Gentile.” Love that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They'll have to re-name that street Gentile Court.

    (It's a Jewish joke)
    Last edited by Solon; 05-08-2018 at 10:01 PM.

  26. #716
    If you come across a press release where Russell M. Nelson apologizes for past racism, beware, it's fake news....a hoax.....


    https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/05/...ory-of-racism/
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

    "You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

    "Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

  27. #717
    We attended a new Ward today that we will be attending for the next 6 months. The Elders' Quorum was having its council and passed around the new ministering assignments. Like most Wards, this one has several hundred names on its roster of people who nobody knows and few know anything about them. The discussion turned to how best to approach them. A few longtime Ward members said that they know there are people on that list who do not want contact from the Church and we should know that before we go out. A former MISSION PRESIDENT (he made sure everyone knew) said that somebody Featherstone once told him that there are no no contact lists in the Church. The guy then added that if we went out and someone said they did not want contact we should invite them to have their names removed from the records. Well, as a father of 2 legacy Mormons (my term for not active Mormons - another long story), I could not let that stand unchallenged. I said I have a returned missionary son who is not active and does not want any contact from the Church and I would hate it if someone said that to him. He replied, he is a man and can make up his own mind. I said that might be cool for you and your family, but that would not be cool with me. I was using my angry voice at this time. Another guy then spoke up that he totally disagreed with Bro. Mission President that in those cases you note the response and give it to the Elders' Quorum President and/or Bishop for further action if any. Afterwards, Bro. Mission President did apologize to me for his insensitivity and added that he has an inactive son and would not want him to remove his records from the Church, which made the earlier exchange even more bizarre.

  28. #718
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    We attended a new Ward today that we will be attending for the next 6 months. The Elders' Quorum was having its council and passed around the new ministering assignments. Like most Wards, this one has several hundred names on its roster of people who nobody knows and few know anything about them. The discussion turned to how best to approach them. A few longtime Ward members said that they know there are people on that list who do not want contact from the Church and we should know that before we go out. A former MISSION PRESIDENT (he made sure everyone knew) said that somebody Featherstone once told him that there are no no contact lists in the Church. The guy then added that if we went out and someone said they did not want contact we should invite them to have their names removed from the records. Well, as a father of 2 legacy Mormons (my term for not active Mormons - another long story), I could not let that stand unchallenged. I said I have a returned missionary son who is not active and does not want any contact from the Church and I would hate it if someone said that to him. He replied, he is a man and can make up his own mind. I said that might be cool for you and your family, but that would not be cool with me. I was using my angry voice at this time. Another guy then spoke up that he totally disagreed with Bro. Mission President that in those cases you note the response and give it to the Elders' Quorum President and/or Bishop for further action if any. Afterwards, Bro. Mission President did apologize to me for his insensitivity and added that he has an inactive son and would not want him to remove his records from the Church, which made the earlier exchange even more bizarre.
    Weird thing for him to say. Having your names removed from the records is for believers to basically turn your backs to covenants you've made previously and should never be encouraged in that way.

    He was way off base on that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  29. #719

    I learned in Church today

    In St George today, we just got a reading of the "Footprints" poem from a returned missionary. It's been a while, so I am happy to report it is back.

    Although when he got to the single set of footprints I was hoping he'd say, "The Sand People travel single file to hide their numbers." Sadly he stuck to the poem.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  30. #720
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    16,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    In St George today, we just got a reading of the "Footprints" poem from a returned missionary. It's been a while, so I am happy to report it is back.

    Although when he got to the single set of footprints I was hoping he'd say, "The Sand People travel single file to hide their numbers." Sadly he stuck to the poem.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Why would anyone be in St. George on a weekend during August?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •