Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425 LastLast

Thread: I learned in Church today

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    My parents were service missionaries in the Addiction Recovery Program for 4 or 5 years. My dad said those meetings were the among the most spiritual experiences he has ever had.

One of our members today testified of her experience with a similar program. Six years ago her son overdosed after an(other) unsuccessful stay in a recovery program, but, she testified of her gratitude to those that worked with him, and credited them for giving them additional time with their son. She testified of unconditional love and unrighteous judgment. That's obviously a thumbnail sketch of her testimony, but, needless to say was extremely powerful. The next member talked of his friendship with her son, and how he missed him too. They are close to the same age. He then testified of another very close friend (also about his age), who lost his young son to reoccurring cancer. He testified of his friend's strength, dignity & faith in his son's final hours. Another powerful testimony of love, faith and service.

I really love our ward for many reasons I won't share today. Different from any other ward we've been to in our 30 years of marriage.

I loved church so much today. The reminder of perspective is a powerful anecdote to self-pity.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    One of our members today testified of her experience with a similar program. Six years ago her son overdosed after an(other) unsuccessful stay in a recovery program, but, she testified of her gratitude to those that worked with him, and credited them for giving them additional time with their son. She testified of unconditional love and unrighteous judgment. That's obviously a thumbnail sketch of her testimony, but, needless to say was extremely powerful. The next member talked of his friendship with her son, and how he missed him too. They are close to the same age. He then testified of another very close friend (also about his age), who lost his young son to reoccurring cancer. He testified of his friend's strength, dignity & faith in his son's final hours. Another powerful testimony of love, faith and service.

I really love our ward for many reasons I won't share today. Different from any other ward we've been to in our 30 years of marriage.

I loved church so much today. The reminder of perspective is a powerful anecdote to self-pity.
    Great story. Out if curiosity, may I ask in what general part of SLC is your ward located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

We had a really good meeting yesterday too. I really like listening to people share their trials, tribulations, triumphs and testimonies. F&T is my favorite - best Sunday of the month.

A couple of whammies today to start the year with. First, due to ward realignments and moves, this is the first time in four years that we don't have 9:00 church. The morning sure didn't seem much longer, but the afternoon sure felt a hell of a lot shorter. The second one was they bumped us down from teaching the 9 year olds to teaching the 4 year olds. 9 of them. Junior Primary is 50 minutes of pure chaos. Why do other people's kids insist on trying to climb onto your lap?! Walking out the door, my wife asked if I had packed any snacks for the class. "No, it's fast Sunday" as I walked out to warm up the car. Fortunately, she knows I'm an idiot and packed plenty. Those really came in handy. At one point, my own four year old had a melt down and my wife had to take him out until he settled down. In one of my less best moments, I let one girl out to go get a drink. Before I realized it, I was down four kids. She managed to wrangle them back to the room and walked in with the biggest "wtf are you doing" look on her face.

4yo Primary! My dream calling!

So my daughter just moved on from that class but our former bishop was teaching it and she loved it.

A couple of weeks ago he decided to have them do a human pyramid in class. I don't know if it was tied to a lesson or no but funny nonetheless. He texted out a picture to the parents and some comments were going back and forth.

I finally texted, "Mormons have always been pretty susceptible to pyramid schemes." Which started a cascade of MLM and Mormon jokes.

After 15 minutes of that in a group text, someone replies, "I don't know what church group this is but can you please take me off your list?" Dead silence... he had put a wrong number in the group and some unsuspecting guy got temporarily bombarded by Mormon jokes for about 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    4yo Primary! My dream calling!

So my daughter just moved on from that class but our former bishop was teaching it and she loved it.

A couple of weeks ago he decided to have them do a human pyramid in class. I don't know if it was tied to a lesson or no but funny nonetheless. He texted out a picture to the parents and some comments were going back and forth.

I finally texted, "Mormons have always been pretty susceptible to pyramid schemes." Which started a cascade of MLM and Mormon jokes.

After 15 minutes of that in a group text, someone replies, "I don't know what church group this is but can you please take me off your list?" Dead silence... he had put a wrong number in the group and some unsuspecting guy got temporarily bombarded by Mormon jokes for about 15 minutes.

Reminds me of this group text amongst our Elders Quorum about setting up chairs for the ward Christmas party a few weeks ago.

Looked the phone number up on FB afterwards. Sure enough, kid had to be 13 at most. One digit off from a new family to the ward. I thought it was going to turn into that viral Thanksgiving dinner invite from the grandma. Not yet.

In the teacher's quorum, we try to have the boys teach twice a month. Yesterday, the young man who taught brought a blindfold and some cards for 'Memory'. He then had a quorum member put on the blindfold and try to play memory while half of the quorum tried to help him and the other half tried to lead him astray (without telling him which was which). He then had another quorum member put on the blindfold, while another was assigned to help him. The rest of us tried to lead the blindfolded member astray.

It has been a long time since I have enjoyed a church lesson so much. The boys laughed, bonded, and I think in the end, learned a great lesson about the guidance of the Holy Ghost.

I learned in Church today

Today I learned that the Westfield MA library is NOT very good. Hi all I am new to the group, and thought that I would introduce myself by posting to a couple of the threads in which I was interested. Look forward to getting to know all of you

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeSer View Post
    Today I learned that the Westfield MA library is NOT very good. Hi all I am new to the group, and thought that I would introduce myself by posting to a couple of the threads in which I was interested. Look forward to getting to know all of you

Agreed! The Westfield library is garbage! I went there looking for a Louis La'mour novel. The librarian told me they didn't have any! What a jerkface!

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeSer View Post
    Curious where you fall on the kate Kelly and john dehlin issue? I mean, should they have been x d or not? Perhaps disfellowship would have been better. Your thoughts? Discuss!

So I'm putting this story here because I reflected upon it in church and learned my lessons there, even if it happened Friday and Saturday before.

This Friday we took the 14-18yo boys in my ward up to my father-in-law's cabin outside of Mt Pleasant. My friend is the new varsity leader and he is awesome, all energy and fun and adventure. He is one of those guys who has done everything out there and also knows how to do everything. I volunteered my father-in-law's cabin because other plans fell through and it is a very primitive cabin. I jokingly call it 'The Wooden Tent' because when we first got married it didn't have electricity or running water or anything else, it was just a simple A-frame with a loft. He has since piped in some spring water so you can wash your hands and added a small septic tank so you can flush a toilet, and a couple of small solar panels so you can power a few light bulbs.

Still it is a hunter's cabin, he is laid back about it and would be cool with a group of boys messing things up there.

The cabin is two miles up at near the top of the mountain of unplowed road. The idea was to have the kids snowshoe in and give them a little challenge. My friend got a snowmobile from another friend who told him to pick it up from another guy he had lent it to. When he picked it up, the other guy had wrecked it, so my buddy spent all this time getting it working again. However, it was having some idling problems so you needed to keep some juice going on it otherwise it would stall, no big deal.

As mentioned, he is all about fun, so he had skis and snowboards and snow shoes and who knows what else. The kids had never been on a winter outing like this, so most were pretty unprepared packing-wise. They showed up with bedrolls under their arms and big blue coolers and stuff. So we had to haul a lot of stuff up with the snowmobile.

When we got up to the cabin, it was about chest deep in powder... at least 5 feet of snow up there, so quite the trek. We blazed trail so the kids could sled down two miles of road and at the bottom he'd pick them up with the snowmobile and pull them all back up the hill and they'd repeat. They did this until about 1am under a full moon and had a blast.

So now the fun of the story. The next morning we pack up our gear and haul it down to where we had parked the snowmobile. We load stuff up on some sleds to haul down and my buddy and the kids head down. I stay at the top and get the next set of gear ready on sleds and wait for him to come back up and grab it all and then I would head down.

I sit up there for about 45 minutes before he comes back. He arrives and says, "Dude, the snowmobile caught on fire!" Apparently he had forgotten he had turned on the emergency brake and had been cruising around with it on and it lit up. He said he got to the bottom of the hill, smelled smoke, pulled off the cover for the engine and it was on fire. He threw a bunch of snow on it to put it out, but in the process lit the pull-cord on fire and ruined it, so he couldn't turn off the snowmobile or we couldn't start it back up again.

So we are getting things hooked on to head down the hill and he has me go and keep a little juice on the throttle so it doesn't stall like it had been doing. The throttle is heated, which feels great with a snow glove on, but with bare hands it is burning my hand so I am holding on as long as I can and then I switch hands. I'm doing this for a while when I switch hands and barely graze the kill switch which kills the engine. CRAPPPPPP!!!!! I am an idiot. Of course, had it not lit on fire there would not have been that issue, but that is how big problems usually cascade. Still my fault for not being more careful.

So there we are at the top of the hill with most of the gear, a broken down snowmobile and all of the kids down at the bottom of the hill sledding still and it is about 2:30 in the afternoon and we have some hard decisions to make. My buddy says, "Wait a minute, there is a way to do an emergency start on snowmobiles!" So we open up the motor and there is a little box where an emergency pull-start cord is supposed to be, but it is empty. So, we get a cam strap and wrap it around this flywheel and try to manually pull it. It will pull and turn over, but not run. We speculate that the engine is flooding at idle which is why it is stalling, so we pull off the spark plugs and sure enough it is full of gas.

So we try to clean that up, meanwhile it has been about an hour since we've seen the kids and there is limited cell service. No voice and only about 1/2 of the texts are getting through. So we decide that my buddy is going to try to pull apart the side of the engine with the pull cord to see if we can't get a part of it there and get it going. I will trek down the hill and pull a tube that doesn't slide all that well (or at least as good as the sleds they were using to go the whole way down) with stuff on it down with me and I'll take care of the boys. I'll try to text him at the bottom to see where he is at, otherwise I am going to have to go for a long drive, try to rent a snowmobile and come and pick him up and haul that thing out.

So I start jogging down the hill and tubing where it will actually go trying to get to the boys as quick as possible. The whole time I am just praying he can get it started.

When I arrive it is like a scene from Lord of the Flies. Two of the kids have their shirts off because they had gotten wet and cold and it was imminent that society is about to break down. When I get up to them I say, "Is Piggy still alive?..." They stare blankly at me, apparently Lord of the Flies isn't required reading any more. So I get them dried off and we start hiking towards the car.

As we are about 200 yards from the car my buddy comes rolling up on the snowmobile with all the gear on sleds in tow and we let out a big cheer.

Apparently he tried to take apart the other side but realized he was going to have to remove the engine to get to the rest of the burned-off pull-cord. So he put the thing back together and he said, "Then I looked up at the Big Man and said, 'I've done everything thing I can, so I need you to bail me out this time..'" He wrapped the cam-strap one more time around the fly-wheel, did a big pull and the stupid thing started up.

However you slice it, we were blessed, fortunate or lucky. Things of course could have been much worse, it could have been late, it could have been in a secluded place and we could have not known what was going on up top etc. He could have gone back to the cabin and stayed warm until help came, etc.

But a good adventure anyway. While you hate those sort of situations they are also my favorite kind of memories. You have to sit down and work the problem out and make some critical decisions. Do I spend time trying to fix the machine, or do I walk out of here? If I work on the machine and it doesn't work two hours later does that make the situation worse? What about the kids down below? Are they okay? Will they know what to do?

Anyway, good times, it was cathartic telling the story here. I need to do more stuff like that.

Great story Rocker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The important question, Rocker: Did you file a Tour Permit before you went on this adventure?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    The important question, Rocker: Did you file a Tour Permit before you went on this adventure?

Tour Permits are no longer used, since 2011, they have been replaced by Tour Plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Tour Permits are no longer used, since 2011, they have been replaced by Tour Plans.
    You're avoiding the question. Were you in compliance or not? I'm in touch with people in the Great Salt Lake Council who want to know.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    You're avoiding the question. Were you in compliance or not? I'm in touch with people in the Great Salt Lake Council who want to know.
    I am not at liberty to disclose any further details about events or our boys until I have evidence that you yourself have properly rechartered and passed all required online safety courses, I am very sorry. Can I interest you in a $20 GSLC patch?

Our stake president spent a solid 15 minutes of our combined third hour instilling the importance of getting the presiding priesthood authority's approval before standing during the intermediate sacrament hymn. Apparently he got his dander in a fluff when the chorister didn't ask him before inviting the audience to stand and sing during ward conference (she had asked the bishop, who gave his permission, but she should have asked the stake pres.). You are all forewarned now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Our stake president spent a solid 15 minutes of our combined third hour instilling the importance of getting the presiding priesthood authority's approval before standing during the intermediate sacrament hymn. Apparently he got his dander in a fluff when the chorister didn't ask him before inviting the audience to stand and sing during ward conference (she had asked the bishop, who gave his permission, but she should have asked the stake pres.). You are all forewarned now.
    Wow. Elevating guidelines to the status of commandments has always been a church pet peeve of mine. I'm just not wired that way.

My daughter is 8. Her birthday is in January, and every other 8-year-old in the ward was born before January. So she stays behind in a Sunday School class where she is more than a year older than anyone else, while there is a class down the hall with 4 kids her age. We had to decide if we were going to make a stink and put her in the class she belongs in against the wishes of the bishop or if we were just going to put up with it. We decided to just put up with it, but it was not an easy call.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Wow. Elevating guidelines to the status of commandments has always been a church pet peeve of mine. I'm just not wired that way.

My daughter is 8. Her birthday is in January, and every other 8-year-old in the ward was born before January. So she stays behind in a Sunday School class where she is more than a year older than anyone else, while there is a class down the hall with 4 kids her age. We had to decide if we were going to make a stink and put her in the class she belongs in against the wishes of the bishop or if we were just going to put up with it. We decided to just put up with it, but it was not an easy call.
    Dumb.

--Yeats

Good grief. Talk about a power trip.

I'd say doing the hokey-pokey or above requires Stake Presidency approval, standing or singing less or more verses can be determined by the music director.

sigh, that's unfortunate. I completely agree.

the other day my daughter (who's now 18) mentioned to me that a few years ago she mentioned in her YW class that she was reading the novel World War. She said within a couple of weeks one of the Bishop's counselors pulled her aside and told her she shouldn't be reading that. Shortly after, she received a calling and when she was set apart in her blessing they warned her that she needed to be more careful about what she read.

Sooo, a couple of things:

1. I've never read World War Z, so I don't know how bad it is. My daughter is the type of kid that will read several books a month, so I don't keep track of everything she's read. However, I do trust her and there have been times where she has stopped reading a book because she felt it wasn't right.

2. I know this guy (Bishop's counselor) pretty well (we were home teaching companions for a few years), and I was sort of shocked he didn't come to me about this. I'm also sort of bothered that I wasn't present during her setting apart. Isn't it standard practice to always invite the parents when a YW is being set apart for a calling? I'm there pretty much every Sunday.

I've decided I'm not going to say anything to this guy. It's been to long and he's a good friend. I know he had good intentions. The unfortunate part is that my daughter still feel's guilty and ashamed about that experience (she has anxiety issues).

I wish we could focus more on building these kids up, vs. pointing out where they come up short. They will always be there own harshest critics, no need for us to pile on.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    sigh, that's unfortunate. I completely agree.

the other day my daughter (who's now 18) mentioned to me that a few years ago she mentioned in her YW class that she was reading the novel World War. She said within a couple of weeks one of the Bishop's counselors pulled her aside and told her she shouldn't be reading that. Shortly after, she received a calling and when she was set apart in her blessing they warned her that she needed to be more careful about what she read.

Sooo, a couple of things:

1. I've never read World War Z, so I don't know how bad it is. My daughter is the type of kid that will read several books a month, so I don't keep track of everything she's read. However, I do trust her and there have been times where she has stopped reading a book because she felt it wasn't right.

2. I know this guy (Bishop's counselor) pretty well (we were home teaching companions for a few years), and I was sort of shocked he didn't come to me about this. I'm also sort of bothered that I wasn't present during her setting apart. Isn't it standard practice to always invite the parents when a YW is being set apart for a calling? I'm there pretty much every Sunday.

I've decided I'm not going to say anything to this guy. It's been to long and he's a good friend. I know he had good intentions. The unfortunate part is that my daughter still feel's guilty and ashamed about that experience (she has anxiety issues).

I wish we could focus more on building these kids up, vs. pointing out where they come up short. They will always be there own harshest critics, no need for us to pile on.
    I enjoyed the movie, never read the book. Here's what a rating service says about it:

Content Analysis:

Profanity/Language: 15 religious exclamations; 60 mild obscenities; 7 religious profanities; 30 derogatory names; 40 scatalogical words; 39 anatomical terms; 1 offensive hand gesture; 67 f-word derivatives.

Violence/Gore: Several scenes where zombies eat people involving graphic description of blood, entrails and brains; multiple scenes of violence involving guns, gas, and explosives resulting in death and injury.

Sex/Nudity: It is mentioned that some zombies are nude because their clothes rotted off (non-sexual); 2 sexual references; a character mentions the use of "skin flicks"; and on two occasions rapes are reported, no details.

Mature Subject Matter:
    Death, humanity, cannibilism.

Alcohol / Drug Use:
    Characters drink and smoke on occasion.
    Looks OK to me for an 18 year-old. They can't read Dickens all the time. I guess I'd advise caution if this were the only type of book my daughter liked, but it looks like you're a long ways from that. We've all read horror/sci-fi novels, especially as kids.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 02-27-2017 at 12:13 PM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    The unfortunate part is that my daughter still feel's guilty and ashamed about that experience (she has anxiety issues).

There is an article in the March Ensign about anxiety. May be of help. I don't necessarily like the idea being promoted in the article regarding a healthy type of perfectionism (not sure there is such a thing as healthy perfectionism, my experience is that it is unhealthy all the time.), but you may find it useful.

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2017/03/a...rders?lang=eng

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyUte View Post
    There is an article in the March Ensign about anxiety. May be of help. I don't necessarily like the idea being promoted in the article regarding a healthy type of perfectionism (not sure there is such a thing as healthy perfectionism, my experience is that it is unhealthy all the time.), but you may find it useful.

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2017/03/a...rders?lang=eng
    thank you

after seeing the book rating maybe that novel is a little sketchy for a 15 year old. She said she never finished it after all the hubalou

Two funny things have happened at church over the last week.

Wednesday night at cub scouts, we were working with our four Wolves going over the Call of the Wild achievement. One of the points is to review on what to do when approached by a stranger. When looking for feedback from each boy, the twin brothers in our troop went on to explain that their mother has taught them that it's better to get shot and killed by a stranger than to be abducted due to potential horrible things that person may do to them. I honestly had no response to that.

Then on Sunday while waiting for all of the parents to come collect their 4 year old from my (wife's) primary class, my mom - who is visiting - tells me that she had recently spent a few days in Idaho with my father's siblings (my dad passed away about 9 years ago). At one point my uncle told my mom that he had recently seen and read a talk that I had given in Sacrament meeting and had since posted on FB. He tells my mom, "It was good. I was caught by surprise. It was really good." "Why did that surprise you, he's always been good with words?" "I see some of the stuff he posts on FB and I guess I'm just surprised that someone had asked him to speak in a Sacrament meeting."

So there's that vote of confidence that I'm moving forward with.

....My daughter is 8. Her birthday is in January, and every other 8-year-old in the ward was born before January. So she stays behind in a Sunday School class where she is more than a year older than anyone else, while there is a class down the hall with 4 kids her age. We had to decide if we were going to make a stink and put her in the class she belongs in against the wishes of the bishop or if we were just going to put up with it. We decided to just put up with it, but it was not an easy call.

I'd recommend you put her in the class that she will most enjoy, regardless of the heat you take from the Bishop or anyone else. One of my college daughters recently broke the news to me that she was taking an extended absence from the church. It happens, but, for a believer like me, it's a bit of tough news. Anyway, anything you can do to improve your daughters time at church is well worth the investment.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Thought I got I got a good shot of Holmoe in his suit and sneakers but apparently the spirit constrained me. Have not managed to run into Emery in primary yet.

Last edited by Dwight Schr-Ute; 03-05-2017 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post

Thought I got I got a good shot of Holmoe in his suit and sneakers but apparently the spirit constrained me. Have not managed to run into Emery in primary yet.

Look for Haws in high priest group

One member of our ward, named Leo, is an older man with vision and speech issues, and perhaps some dementia or other disability (he has a heavy accent and makes comments in Sunday School that are hard to decipher). Leo joined the church about 3 years ago. Lately he has been blessing the sacrament, which has been kind of an adventure for everyone in attendance at sacrament meeting because he struggles to get through the prayer and takes quite a long time to do that.

Yesterday Leo had an especially difficult time and ended up giving the prayer 4 times before he got it right. (Our bishop will let small errors go -- slurred words, for example -- but Leo's mistakes yesterday were just too big to ignore.) It was hard for everyone present because we wanted Leo to do well and not be embarrassed. But the episode passed and we just moved on with the meeting.

It was testimony meeting, and one of the last persons who spoke, a woman who fairly recently reactivated herself, very emotionally brought up Leo's struggle. She looked down from the pulpit at him, seated in the pews, and in a breaking voice thanked him, saying that the sacrament prayer had become routine to her and she'd fallen into the bad habit of not listening to it carefully. Thanks to him, she said, she had been forced to listen to the prayer carefully and as a result had a new appreciation for the meaning of many of the words. She also was deeply touched, she said, by Leo's determination and persistence in getting the words right. There were few dry eyes in the chapel by the time she sat down. It was a touching and unexpected moment. I like to think the Lord was happy with it. I also learned something important about patience and charity.

--Yeats