Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 718

Thread: I learned in Church today

  1. #61
    1:00 church is a necessary evil unfortunately. In my mind, 11 is ideal. We had 1 pm church last year and I didnt even try to deal with it. We went to sacrament meeting and one of us took my son home after. Even delayed putting him in nursery. Just doesnt work.

  2. #62
    We have 2 wards in one building, and the old SP never let us overlap meetings. His reasoning was that there were not enough parking stalls for two wards when meetings overlap. So we went out and counted cars and sure enough, there were sufficient parking stalls for both wards. On top of that, we keep getting car burglaries during the middle of sacrament meeting when the thieves know that the sacrament meeting room doors are shut. The burglars will break windows and cause hundreds of dollars of damage in order to get iPods, or scriptures. (They steal scriptures because sometimes people keep tithing envelopes in their scriptures). If we overlapped with the other ward then there would be people coming and going while we are in sacrament, scaring off thieves. So we asked the new SP if we could overlap, and he told us that if we were doing the missionary work that we should be doing, there wouldnt be enough parking stalls.


  3. #63
    Glad to hear I'm not alone in my struggles. Thank you for your encouraging words!

  4. #64
    Handsome Boy Graduate mpfunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    1,495
    Quote Originally Posted by utebehindenemylines View Post
    Glad to hear I'm not alone in my struggles. Thank you for your encouraging words!
    1 p.m. church with a baby/toddler is what I imagine hell to do like.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    We have 2 wards in one building, and the old SP never let us overlap meetings. His reasoning was that there were not enough parking stalls for two wards when meetings overlap. So we went out and counted cars and sure enough, there were sufficient parking stalls for both wards. On top of that, we keep getting car burglaries during the middle of sacrament meeting when the thieves know that the sacrament meeting room doors are shut. The burglars will break windows and cause hundreds of dollars of damage in order to get iPods, or scriptures. (They steal scriptures because sometimes people keep tithing envelopes in their scriptures). If we overlapped with the other ward then there would be people coming and going while we are in sacrament, scaring off thieves. So we asked the new SP if we could overlap, and he told us that if we were doing the missionary work that we should be doing, there wouldnt be enough parking stalls.

    guilt trip cop out. a Mormon specialty.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

  6. #66
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,959
    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    We have 2 wards in one building, and the old SP never let us overlap meetings. His reasoning was that there were not enough parking stalls for two wards when meetings overlap. So we went out and counted cars and sure enough, there were sufficient parking stalls for both wards. On top of that, we keep getting car burglaries during the middle of sacrament meeting when the thieves know that the sacrament meeting room doors are shut. The burglars will break windows and cause hundreds of dollars of damage in order to get iPods, or scriptures. (They steal scriptures because sometimes people keep tithing envelopes in their scriptures). If we overlapped with the other ward then there would be people coming and going while we are in sacrament, scaring off thieves. So we asked the new SP if we could overlap, and he told us that if we were doing the missionary work that we should be doing, there wouldnt be enough parking stalls.


    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  7. #67
    Just chiming in on the car prowls.

    The only way to stop those is to get everyone to stop leaving things in their cars. Not even a coat or a blanket sitting on a seat.

    By doing that the opportunity is gone and the thieves will go somewhere else.

    As an aside, the politics of churches never cease to amaze me (I have Presbyterian politics stories )

  8. #68
    1 PM Church is horrible.

    We put our 2 kids that nap to bed at their usual naptime of noon. One of us stays home with them until they wake up. During NCAA Tourney season and good golf on TV the naps have tended to be extra long when it is my turn to stay for the naps for some reason.

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    1 p.m. church with a baby/toddler is what I imagine hell to do like.
    Somehow throw scouting into the mix and you're probably close.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

    "You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

    "Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    1 PM Church is horrible.

    We put our 2 kids that nap to bed at their usual naptime of noon. One of us stays home with them until they wake up. During NCAA Tourney season and good golf on TV the naps have tended to be extra long when it is my turn to stay for the naps for some reason.
    Same.


  11. #71
    Living in the past ... FMCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    In but not of Utah
    Posts
    132
    The city has asked the Stake for 50 volunteers for this year's family festival. You might be in Utah if ...

  12. #72
    Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Eug
    Posts
    443
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    1 PM Church is horrible.

    We put our 2 kids that nap to bed at their usual naptime of noon. One of us stays home with them until they wake up. During NCAA Tourney season and good golf on TV the naps have tended to be extra long when it is my turn to stay for the naps for some reason.
    It is an abomination in the site of God.

  13. #73
    I learned that having a willing heart is a conscious choice, not something that just magically happens as i previously thought.

    I'm pretty slow.

  14. #74
    I learned that when I ran into the schedule EQ instructor last night I really should have verified that he would be there to teach today so I wouldn't have to wing it through the lesson like a missionary.

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
    The city has asked the Stake for 50 volunteers for this year's family festival. You might be in Utah if ...
    You might be in Utah County if...

  16. #76
    Caged Wisdom Harry Tic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Shadows, Everlasting Hills
    Posts
    26
    I learned that if you want to describe the impressive size of the conference center, you might want to choose an adjective other than "spacious."

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by scottie View Post
    You might be in Utah County if...
    You might be in Alpine if...

  18. #78
    Sexy Cougar SoCalCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    55
    I learned that Roy Halladay may not be totally washed up.

    (Sorry, I was hanging out on my phone during Priesthood meeting).

  19. #79
    I learned that I hate the hymn "Welcome, welcome, sabbath morning" under the following conditions:

    1- played as the opening hymn for sacrament meeting at 2:50 PM

    2- when played way too slow to come close to the instructions of "Brightly"
    Dyslexics of the world, untie!

  20. #80
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,959
    When you assign the wrong person to coordinate the building cleaning teams, it can be a real pain.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  21. #81
    Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Eug
    Posts
    443
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    When you assign the wrong person to coordinate the building cleaning teams, it can be a real pain.
    Summon Pheidippides!

  22. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I learned that I hate the hymn "Welcome, welcome, sabbath morning" under the following conditions:

    1- played as the opening hymn for sacrament meeting at 2:50 PM

    2- when played way too slow to come close to the instructions of "Brightly"

    I've come to the conclusion that 90% of wards sing ALL hymns waaaaaaaay toooooooooo sloooooooooooowly.

    Why is this? Tradition? Amateur organists that can't keep up? It drives me nuts.
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

  23. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Summon Pheidippides!
    I think they should just get a consulting firm to tell them how to fix the cleaning problem.

  24. #84
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,959
    I was just commenting on a personality issue. There is no "cleaning problem" IMO.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 04-22-2013 at 09:06 AM.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  25. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I was just commenting on a personality issue. There is no "cleaning problem" IMO.
    You apparently have not used the facilities at your local wardhouse in the last few years. Often the dankest, darkest, greasiest gas station has a less offensive odor to it than any church restroom I have dared to use.

    The last time the main Men's restroom at our building smelled even remotely acceptable was a year ago when a friend and I scrubbed the entire room stem to stern, including the walls, floors, and toilets inside and out (including removing the mossy growth inside the tanks).

    Yuck.

  26. #86
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,959
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    You apparently have not used the facilities at your local wardhouse in the last few years. Often the dankest, darkest, greasiest gas station has a less offensive odor to it than any church restroom I have dared to use.

    The last time the main Men's restroom at our building smelled even remotely acceptable was a year ago when a friend and I scrubbed the entire room stem to stern, including the walls, floors, and toilets inside and out (including removing the mossy growth inside the tanks).

    Yuck.
    Your ward just needs to do a better job cleaning the restrooms. Or maybe you all just need to learn to hold it until the block is over and you can get home.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  27. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    You apparently have not used the facilities at your local wardhouse in the last few years. Often the dankest, darkest, greasiest gas station has a less offensive odor to it than any church restroom I have dared to use.

    The last time the main Men's restroom at our building smelled even remotely acceptable was a year ago when a friend and I scrubbed the entire room stem to stern, including the walls, floors, and toilets inside and out (including removing the mossy growth inside the tanks).

    Yuck.
    The last time we got to clean the building the guy in charge gave me a mop and bucket to clean the bathrooms with no cleaning solution in it. I asked him about it and he blankly stared at me like I was crazy. I waited until he went around the corner and then added some cleaner to the water so we weren't just smearing germs and urine around on the floor. I thought about the months before we got there that it likely was never cleaned properly. Nasty.

    We won't even get onto the subject of sacrament trays, except to say that my wife and I regularly take them home and wash them.

  28. #88
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,959
    I guess there is wide variation around the church regarding this whole building cleaning thing. In our building, the process is completely idiot proof. (I am not saying anyone here is an idiot. I am saying that I can be one, at least regarding these matters.) We know which vacuum to use for the hallways and which one to use for the classrooms. They're clearly marked. So are the various solutions we need to use. There is a glass cleaning solution, a disinfectant, and so forth. It's all clearly marked and the process is quite simple. Maybe our PM group is just better organized than others.

    By the way, cleaning the bathroom is a relatively small part of the overall job.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  29. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I guess there is wide variation around the church regarding this whole building cleaning thing. In our building, the process is completely idiot proof. (I am not saying anyone here is an idiot. I am saying that I can be one, at least regarding these matters.) We know which vacuum to use for the hallways and which one to use for the classrooms. They're clearly marked. So are the various solutions we need to use. There is a glass cleaning solution, a disinfectant, and so forth. It's all clearly marked and the process is quite simple. Maybe our PM group is just better organized than others.

    By the way, cleaning the bathroom is a relatively small part of the overall job.
    Oh we are the same way, it just has one fatal flaw in that it is dependent on a person actually reading the labels and then putting the right solution in the right bucket, etc. In our ward we have a building cleaning coordinator who is supposed to make sure it all gets done. If it was me, I'd be pushing for an advancement from coordinator to chairperson.

    I don't envy this person.

    Apparently it is easier to get Mormons to uproot their entire family and travel across the US by wagon to land in semi-arid desert land than it is to get 2 or 3 families to show up for an hour on a Saturday once a year. A previous coordinator had a number of challenging callings in his life including Bishop and I remember him telling me that the coordinator job was the worst one he ever had by far.

    By the way, church bulk-purchase vacuums don't suck, by which I mean they really suck at sucking, by which I mean you can't suck up anything with them. Am I right?

    Is this thing on?

  30. #90
    Also, did I mention the time that we took our Dyson over and cleaned the chapel with it. We normally empty the canister out on that thing every few months. I emptied it 4 times just cleaning the chapel.

    Moral of the story: Your 2yo child rolling around on the ground there is basically swimming in the county dump.

    I'm kind of a germ-a-phobe.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •