Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: I learned in Church today

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    By the way, church bulk-purchase vacuums don't suck, by which I mean they really suck at sucking, by which I mean you can't suck up anything with them. Am I right?

Is this thing on?
    Lol. I spent about an hour Saturday afternoon vacuuming our building. (I was alone, so I took my dog, who enjoyed the experience and found the chapel a very interesting place to sniff around. I am sure this would freak some people in my ward out. I don't care.) The big hallway vacuum did not suck, which is a bad thing, as you say. I had to pick up some small items off the carpet with my hands. The smaller vacuums for the classrooms did suck, which is good.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I guess there is wide variation around the church regarding this whole building cleaning thing.
    Maybe the consulting group can help. Oh, wait, we already did that. Never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheidippides View Post
    Maybe the consulting group can help. Oh, wait, we already did that. Never mind.
    Let's stay focused here. Phi. Do the vacuums in your building suck?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Let's stay focused here. Phi. Do the vacuums in your building suck?
    I wouldn't have a clue. The assignment coordinator insists on always making the assignments on Saturday morning and I am busy on every Saturday morning for the next sixty years with one of kid's athletic events, cycling or running. Since all three of these rank above the church as a whole by several orders of magnitude, I don't expect I'll ever find out.

But if they were to, say, get one of the underemployed members to clean it for a fair wage instead I think I'd help pay for it. Oh, wait, I already did that once, until the consulting group got involved. Never mind.

I wouldn't have a clue. The assignment coordinator insists on always making the assignments on Saturday morning and I am busy on every Saturday morning for the next sixty years with one of kid's athletic events, cycling or running. Since all three of these rank above the church as a whole by several orders of magnitude, I don't expect I'll ever find out.

But if they were to, say, get one of the underemployed members to clean it for a fair wage instead I think I'd help pay for it. Oh, wait, I already did that once, until the consulting group got involved. Never mind.
    Your guy is just unenlightened. We set the times for the work based on people's availability. Friday night? Check! Saturday afternoon? Check! (That's how I ended up vacuuming Saturday afternoon.) You need to let him know the other times when you are available to push that vacuum or touch up those windows.

--Yeats

Your guy is just unenlightened. We set the times for the work based on people's availability. Friday night? Check! Saturday afternoon? Check! (That's how I ended up vacuuming Saturday afternoon.) You need to let him know the other times when you are available to push that vacuum or touch up those windows.
    You assume there are. Saturday is a special day. Permit me to share my schedule from last weekend:

6:00 - wake up, eat, get dressed.
    7:30 - 9:45: participate in water-based athletic activity
    9:45 - 11:30: Watch son participate in ball-based athletic activity
    11:30 - 7:00: participate in wheel-based athletic activity
    7:30 - 9:00: help a friend with truck-based moving activity
    9:00 - midnight: prepare Sunday school lesson.

So, yeah, I'm never going to find out whether the vacuum sucks.

You assume there are. Saturday is a special day. Permit me to share my schedule from last weekend:

6:00 - wake up, eat, get dressed.
    7:30 - 9:45: participate in water-based athletic activity
    9:45 - 11:30: Watch son participate in ball-based athletic activity
    11:30 - 7:00: participate in wheel-based athletic activity
    7:30 - 9:00: help a friend with truck-based moving activity

So, yeah, I'm never going to find out whether the vacuum sucks.
    Maybe in the next life. Or during the Millennium.

--Yeats

My understanding is that a condition of receiving church assistance is usually to show up for all of these things. Is that not the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    My understanding is that a condition of receiving church assistance is usually to show up for all of these things. Is that not the case?
    Good point. It's really between the bishop and the recipient, but in our case the coordinator hasn't worked in a long time and as a token of her gratitude for long-running church assistance shows up every Saturday morning during the 6 months that our ward has the responsibility.

--Yeats

Good point. It's really between the bishop and the recipient, but in our case the coordinator hasn't worked in a long time and as a token of her gratitude for long-running church assistance shows up every Saturday morning during the 6 months that our ward has the responsibility.
    So unemployed people are generally the ones run img the building cleaning program? Seems like the reason it's generally poorly managed.

Maybe in the next life. Or during the Millennium.
    If we are still cleaning church buildings in the millennium, then I want no part of this church's afterlife.

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    If we are still cleaning church buildings in the millennium, then I want no part of this church's afterlife.
    According to a talk by Erastus X. Snowsmith (it's in the Journal of Discourses) those who refuse to accept building cleaning assignments in this life will fulfill their duty in the Millennium, and the duration of the assignment will be as the life of a tree. You've been warned.

--Yeats

According to a talk by Erastus X. Snowsmith (it's in the Journal of Discourses) those who refuse to accept building cleaning assignments in this life will fulfill their duty in the Millennium, and the duration of the assignment will be as the life of a tree. You've been warned.
    Since I don't accept assignments, that's a relief!

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Our cleaning programs runs well. In fact, it has worked well in all the wards I've been a part of. Maybe not clean enough for the Rockers, but certainly enough for regular dirty folk.
    I can smell your filth through the internet.

Since I don't accept assignments, that's a relief!
    Seriously, in our ward we simply don't expect young families to show up to help clean, unless they want to and can find a way to fit it in.

--Yeats

Seriously, in our ward we simply don't expect young families to show up to help clean, unless they want to and can find a way to fit it in.
    When can I move in?

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I find it both funny and creepy that LaUte's dog was hanging out in the chapel on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I find it both funny and creepy that LaUte's dog was hanging out in the chapel on Saturday.
    She is a working breed, just doing her job.

--Yeats

For me, when its our families turn to clean (I have a wife and one son who is 2), I typically just head over there myself to do it.

I learned 45 minutes into Sunday School that not only was my co-teacher not teaching our class, but also that she had been released and has a new calling in the RS presidency.

Nice of them to tell me about it.

Whoa, you must have one of those hard teaching callings. I guess there is a plus to teaching the deacons.

All the young families and kids show up in our ward. The kids erase chalkboards, gather trash, and then run and play in a huge pack for an hour. They love it.
    IOW, the families have a happy attitude about that type of service. What a concept.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    They always swear they will come when they're picking up their check, but are no-shows on Saturday. I think our bish should dispense checks directly after Saturday clean up.

All the young families and kids show up in our ward. The kids erase chalkboards, gather trash, and then run and play in a huge pack for an hour. They love it.
    This is generally how it happens in my ward other than a couple of months ago when I was the only person to show up on saturday morning. I vacuumed for two hours and finally called it quits.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    They always swear they will come when they're picking up their check, but are no-shows on Saturday. I think our bish should dispense checks directly after Saturday clean up.
    Wouldn't that mean the bishop would actually have to show up too?!

Would you people stop talking about cleaning the church already and tell me what to talk about in sacrament meeting on Sunday? It is our last Sunday in the ward before we move, so much of my talk will be the airing of grievances toward ward members, but if someone has some good made-up stories I can tell that would be helpful too.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Would you people stop talking about cleaning the church already and tell me what to talk about in sacrament meeting on Sunday? It is our last Sunday in the ward before we move, so much of my talk will be the airing of grievances toward ward members, but if someone has some good made-up stories I can tell that would be helpful too.
    Pretty sure my suggestions aren't going to be LDS appropriate

"And another thing...!"
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

"...and the horse that you rode in on... Now, onto my talk about the doctrines the Lord has not yet seen fit to reveal..."

Here are some other things I'd like to see on a Sunday:

1. Setting up a bunch of bizarre visuals on/under the pulpit, but never talking about them
    2. Asking for a microphone on a cord so you can walk around while you talk
    3. Break into song midway through your talk and then stop and continue on as if nothing happened
    4. Prepare a short talk and then near the end stand there in silence for a few minutes 'so people can soak in what you've said'
    5. A powerpoint you've loaded onto an iPad that you try to hold up for everyone to see

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    "...and the horse that you rode in on... Now, onto my talk about the doctrines the Lord has not yet seen fit to reveal..."

Here are some other things I'd like to see on a Sunday:

1. Setting up a bunch of bizarre visuals on/under the pulpit, but never talking about them
    2. Asking for a microphone on a cord so you can walk around while you talk
    3. Break into song midway through your talk and then stop and continue on as if nothing happened
    4. Prepare a short talk and then near the end stand there in silence for a few minutes 'so people can soak in what you've said'
    5. A powerpoint you've loaded onto an iPad that you try to hold up for everyone to see
    I've actually seen 1 and 3. It was awesome both times.

--Yeats

I've actually seen 1 and 3. It was awesome both times.
    I've actually seen 2 and 4. One guy finished about 10 minutes early and said, "Well that is all I have to say, so maybe we can just sit here and meditate for a bit." The bishop filled the void, I wouldn't have minded some quiet time.

The other one the guy didn't have a mic and didn't need it, he wandered about the stand yelling. He did set out a tape recorder first. I don't remember all of the details except some thing about 'men are truth and women are light'. But the biggest highlight was when he called out my brother from the stand who had whispered something to a friend. He told my brother he had no respect for him and if he wasn't going to listen he should leave. So my brother and his fiancé walked on out. This guy was a known nutjob and I always wondered why he was asked to speak in the first place, he didn't even belong to the ward.