Thread: I am completely missing the logic of this FB post. Any Oenophiles that can comment?

I am completely missing the logic of this FB post. Any Oenophiles that can comment?

First off this is a kid I went to high school with and I think his "Bionic Band" is full of shit. So this was an interesting exchange tonight. Secondly I do not consider myself a wine expert but I was lucky enough to learn this fact from a winery we visited. Acid is one of the major senses the tongue can sense. Interesting that most of your taste is your nose, not your tongue.

• FREIND: You and a lot of other people. Kewl thing is our bracelet will actually enhance the flavor of Wine, Juice, Coffee etc... by neutralizing the acid.

• CORVAN: How exactly does the band enhance the flavor of wine by neutralizing acids? That's one of the basic flavors the tongue can detect. Admittedly the majority of taste comes from the nose but one of the ultimate challenges of a vintner is to balance the acid (sour response) vs. the sweet of the grape.

FRIEND: Well since I am not a wine drinker. I cannot attest to how it changes the taste. But my buddies who drink wine all put the band around their cheap bottles of wine and say it makes it taste like a much more expensive wine. I know we did a few tests with the wine booth next to us this past weekend and they said that it did enhance the flavor.
    • FRIEND: I use it on my Orange Juice, it takes that acid/citrus taste out and gives it a sweeter smoother taste. The same thing with Lemonade
      CORVAN: If it works for those that tried it that's cool. I just don't see where it would enhance wine by decreasing the acidity as that's in integral part of the chemistry of wine.
      • FRIEND: It may do something besides change the acidity. it also raises the ph. I'm not a wine expert I just know what wine drinkers tell me LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Corvan View Post
    First off this is a kid I went to high school with and I think his "Bionic Band" is full of shit. So this was an interesting exchange tonight. Secondly I do not consider myself a wine expert but I was lucky enough to learn this fact from a winery we visited. Acid is one of the major senses the tongue can sense. Interesting that most of your taste is your nose, not your tongue.

• FREIND: You and a lot of other people. Kewl thing is our bracelet will actually enhance the flavor of Wine, Juice, Coffee etc... by neutralizing the acid.
    • CORVAN: How exactly does the band enhance the flavor of wine by neutralizing acids? That's one of the basic flavors the tongue can detect. Admittedly the majority of taste comes from the nose but one of the ultimate challenges of a vintner is to balance the acid (sour response) vs. the sweet of the grape.

FRIEND: Well since I am not a wine drinker. I cannot attest to how it changes the taste. But my buddies who drink wine all put the band around their cheap bottles of wine and say it makes it taste like a much more expensive wine. I know we did a few tests with the wine booth next to us this past weekend and they said that it did enhance the flavor.
    • FRIEND: I use it on my Orange Juice, it takes that acid/citrus taste out and gives it a sweeter smoother taste. The same thing with Lemonade
      CORVAN: If it works for those that tried it that's cool. I just don't see where it would enhance wine by decreasing the acidity as that's in integral part of the chemistry of wine.
      • FRIEND: It may do something besides change the acidity. it also raises the ph. I'm not a wine expert I just know what wine drinkers tell me LOL

Genius alert.

1. Lower acidity=higher pH.
    2. The only way to neutralize acid is to add a base to the substance. Putting a band, or a magnet, etc around a bottle cannot, will not, and does not affect the pH of the wine, juice, etc.

The junk science that people will actually believe absolutely astounds me. P.T. Barnum was right.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Why do people so readily discard a skeptical nature? My sixth grade son knows enough about physics to recognize that a substantial change in the state of a solution requires a substantial input of energy (whether mechanical, chemical, electrical, etc). Putting a band of metal alone around a bottle will not substantially change the solution in the bottle.

Placing a reactive metal IN the solution might have some effect, but it might not necessarily be a positive effect. (K, Na and Li in particular can be explosive around water).

If this guy makes any money at all doing it, tell him to make sure he spends it all immediately so that he can declare bankruptcy when the consumer class actions inevitably start coming.