Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Sending children on a mission

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Don't you mean '96? Otherwise you have some 'splaining to cover your almost 9-yr old...
    Maybe that is why he had to leave the mission!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Don't you mean '96? Otherwise you have some 'splaining to cover your almost 9-yr old...
    Doh. Of course it only FELT like a 12 year mission. I'm reminded of the cranky ol' lady from my ward that I ran into at the stake center when I reported to the high council.

Her: Are you glad to be home?
    Me: Yeah. Excited to move forward into the next chapter.
    Her: Hmph. My sons were all sad to be home. They liked their mission.

We had a meeting with our SP this week. My son signed a LOI to play football (not at Utah) but was planning on a mission first. After this meeting, there’s enough uncertainty around missions right now that it might makes sense to play a year (if it’s even possible given scholarship considerations), then revisit the decision.

My concern of course is that the longer it takes to get into the field, the less likely it will happen.

These HS seniors are in interesting times to be sure. Online school, spring sports effectively cancelled, mission plans in day-to-day flux, social distancing, parents losing income just to name a few things they’re dealing with.

Nerve wracking time to be 18.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    We had a meeting with our SP this week. My son signed a LOI to play football (not at Utah) but was planning on a mission first. After this meeting, there’s enough uncertainty around missions right now that it might makes sense to play a year (if it’s even possible given scholarship considerations), then revisit the decision.

My concern of course is that the longer it takes to get into the field, the less likely it will happen.

These HS seniors are in interesting times to be sure. Online school, spring sports effectively cancelled, mission plans in day-to-day flux, social distancing, parents losing income just to name a few things they’re dealing with.

Nerve wracking time to be 18.
    Where did he sign?
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

since I started this thread a while ago , kid one come and gone to Chile.

Second son went to Alberta and came back a changed man. He left when he was almost 20 after he decided he wanted to go. My wife and i have told him " if you are not 100% committed dont go. You will make everyone around you miserable. Including yourself." He all the sudden one day said I think i am ready to go and dove in headfirst. He is now married last OCT

Third is almost nineteen and wants to serve a mission but seems reluctant. He has been somewhat of a loner. Told him the same thing i told the other ones. BE sure. Still trying to figure out what is holding him back. He is good with people but he has a hard time trusting in anyone that is not a star wars character

Thanks for the update. My kid is still 4 plus years away and has already said he has no interest in going. If so, he will be the first child or grandchild, boy or girl, in my wife’s family to not go on a mission. Lot of pressure on that side of the family.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Thanks for the update. My kid is still 4 plus years away and has already said he has no interest in going. If so, he will be the first child or grandchild, boy or girl, in my wife’s family to not go on a mission. Lot of pressure on that side of the family.
    Four years is a long time. If he has a bunch of buddies going it could influence him a great deal.......believe me. Of course ,the opposite is true as well I suppose.

(Thought it'd be kinda fun to post in a ghost town. About one post a month now. UF.N just doesn't do it for me, but the only game in town now I guess)
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

(Thought it'd be kinda fun to post in a ghost town. About one post a month now. UF.N just doesn't do it for me, but the only game in town now I guess)
    I tried to Pied Piper this group to a Discord promised land, but I couldn't convince anyone to follow.

Hey, I'll be here if you want.

Utefans has already become a chore. The politics is never ending and the same posters say the same things over and over and over and over and.........

Wish we hadn't pulled the plug so early on football and just let it end organically. Would give us something else to talk about.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Hey, I'll be here if you want.

Utefans has already become a chore. The politics is never ending and the same posters say the same things over and over and over and over and.........

Wish we hadn't pulled the plug so early on football and just let it end organically. Would give us something else to talk about.
    I agree. Why not go right up to the deadline? After they canceled the season, the new saliva test from the NBA was announced. Maybe that's a game changer. Maybe some other game changer comes along.

Anyway, I can't remedy the "same posters say the same things" problem since I'm part of that problem.